What should FUNimation redub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

What should FUNimation redub?

Post by songohan619 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:49 pm

What do YOU think FUNimation should redub?
I think they should redub the Bardock special, with the Kai cast.
Why: I really want too hear Chris Ayers`delivery of "ZARBON, DODORIA, LOOK AT THE PRETTY FIREWORKS!!"
What do you think should be redubbed/dubbed by FUNimation.
And, please, no "FUNimation should stop dubbing, because they suck at it" comments, that is not what this thread is for.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: What should FUNimation redub?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Instead of redubbing anything, I would prefer if they would finish up what they haven't gotten to yet. We still have "Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans" (as well as the not so "Super" original) and "Yo! Son Goku and Friends Return" that need to be done, plus some other stuff I don't really care about (like the recap specials). They can redub stuff after I can get my hands on a domestic release of the those. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 pm

The Garlic Jr. Arc and DBGT.
I hate Garlic Jr.'s Funi voice, and just don't like most of them in GT.
酷签名

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 pm

In the long run i think Funimation did an alright job for a western company to take on an anime, Most the time in the case of anime's 60% of the time it ends up bad or gives us a bad look on the actual show itself.

But what i want to see done?

@DevilsCorpse
Check out the bonus material on Dragonball Raging Blast 2, they used the new voice cast in a new reanimate PTETS on DBRB2 felt "out of place" in comparison to the other movies in my opinion),

But i presume if they decide to take them on anytime soon they'll be using the new DBK Voice Cast just like they did with PTETS on Dragonball Raging Blast 2.

That goes for the entire series itself.
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Everything needs redubbed. With Team Four Star as the cast.

Yay. :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Jayy

Post by Jayy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Team Four Star are doing good with their parodies. Just leave them there :P
Dragonball Fan Since 91'
鳥山 明

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri May 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Jayy wrote:Team Four Star are doing good with their parodies. Just leave them there :P
Yes, but I need an extra dose of corniness in my dub to make up for all the years of punched up rewritten dialog backed by the bastard child of metal and techno to even things out.

I'm dead effin' serious, foo.

I'm totally joking, dude.
(they/she)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 20, 2011 8:34 pm

[quote="songohan619"]Why: I really want too hear Chris Ayers`delivery of "ZARBON, DODORIA, LOOK AT THE PRETTY FIREWORKS!!"[quote]
He already delivered this line in episode 42 of Z Kai. But yeah, 'A Final Solitary Battle' desperately needs a redub, along with all of the movies and the 'Trunks Special'.
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat May 21, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

roidrage
Beyond Newbie

Post by roidrage » Fri May 20, 2011 8:56 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:and the 'Trunks Special'.
NOPE. NEVAH.

There's no way I'm watching the English Trunks special unless it remains utterly ridiculous and impossible to take seriously.

I see your.."point".
SAD 4 U

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri May 20, 2011 9:20 pm

songohan619 wrote:What do YOU think FUNimation should redub?
The Yu yu Hakusho movies. The different actors was why I couldn't watch them.

On serious note, don't think they should or need to, due to time that's past and while having its flaws, doesn't need to be reubbed, like other classic anime.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 pm

The Bardock and Trunks specials. If nothing else, ever, then those two need it above all else. At least just Bardock.

Other than that, a redub of a few of the movies wouldn't hurt.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 pm

The TV specials. They are the most in need of acoustic salvation. By and large, the movies are decent. Dragon Ball is good and GT is mediocre (although I wouldn't mind a few slight alterations). Z is horrible, but FUNimation are presently doing a great job dubbing the "refreshed" version of it.

"Revised English dialogue" my gluteus maximus.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat May 21, 2011 1:18 am

Super Sonic wrote:
songohan619 wrote:What do YOU think FUNimation should redub?
The Yu yu Hakusho movies. The different actors was why I couldn't watch them.

On serious note, don't think they should or need to, due to time that's past and while having its flaws, doesn't need to be reubbed, like other classic anime.
Good news for you then, as in a Vlog for the YYH Blu Rays, Justin Cook let it drop that they were working on one of the YYH movies.

But, on the topic at hand...I want them to redub every episode, every movie, every special, every recap of all three series, and anything they didn't do...I'm not asking for much >_>, just to redub everything they've ever done DB related with Kai quality or greater.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat May 21, 2011 1:49 am

Jayy wrote:@DevilsCorpse
Check out the bonus material on Dragonball Raging Blast 2, they used the new voice cast in a new reanimate PTETS on DBRB2 felt "out of place" in comparison to the other movies in my opinion),

But i presume if they decide to take them on anytime soon they'll be using the new DBK Voice Cast just like they did with PTETS on Dragonball Raging Blast 2.

That goes for the entire series itself.
You do realize I said "Plan to eradicate the Super Saiyans" right? That IS the one from Raging Blast 2. They need to dub the Jump Special and PtEtSS at the very least, but the original PtEtS should be done as well in my opinion, as it has a lot of extra stuff, even though not all of it is good. I really don't care which cast dubs them, as I won't be buying them for the dubs, I just want domestic DVD releases for them. I don't like having to put in RB2 to watch the newest special, as I don't always have access to my PS3.

BTW, the "Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans" on Raging Blast 2 didn't have a dub, so neither Funimation cast was used.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Sat May 21, 2011 2:03 am

Mewzard wrote:]I'm not asking for much >_>, just to redub everything they've ever done DB related with Kai quality or greater.
That kinda -is- "much". In fact, that's a herculean task. The amount of work and manpower vs. the potential profit (which isn't that high considering that most of the folks who want a "faithful" presentation are content with the Dragon Boxes or Kai) makes it unfeasible, especially considering that FUNimation has a ton of other works to keep up with as well. I think the closest they'd consider to that is maybe going back to Z and splicing in Kai's dub audio in place of the more objected-to audio. Dragon Ball's dub is more or less fine, and GT is not a series I'd consider "worth it" for.

Just for kicks, though, I'd suggest the least likely thing; Dragon Ball GT Final Bout, on the PSOne. Not that FUNi handled the dubbing of that in the first place, but I kinda felt like stretching the term "redub" here for all it was worth.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat May 21, 2011 2:17 am

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
Mewzard wrote:]I'm not asking for much >_>, just to redub everything they've ever done DB related with Kai quality or greater.
That kinda -is- "much". In fact, that's a herculean task. The amount of work and manpower vs. the potential profit (which isn't that high considering that most of the folks who want a "faithful" presentation are content with the Dragon Boxes or Kai) makes it unfeasible, especially considering that FUNimation has a ton of other works to keep up with as well. I think the closest they'd consider to that is maybe going back to Z and splicing in Kai's dub audio in place of the more objected-to audio. Dragon Ball's dub is more or less fine, and GT is not a series I'd consider "worth it" for.

Just for kicks, though, I'd suggest the least likely thing; Dragon Ball GT Final Bout, on the PSOne. Not that FUNi handled the dubbing of that in the first place, but I kinda felt like stretching the term "redub" here for all it was worth.
Well, the last bit was me being sarcastic in regards to it not being much, the emoticon meant to emphasize that, but whatever, just my little want in fandom.

I'd love to see a redub of the Specials, personally.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat May 21, 2011 3:17 am

KiddoCabbusses wrote:

I didn't really see this thread as a "what would be realistic." I thought it was more of a "what do you want" sort of thing.
(they/she)

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat May 21, 2011 5:50 am

Mystical Adventure. I used to own a dub VHS version of the movie. And when I first watched it in Japanese after buying the 3-Movies set, I was shocked to how much the dub was heavily re-written!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 am

Trunks Special ?.......but there's nothing wrong with that one..........oh wait......DAT music. :lol:

They should just dub the new OVA or the 2008 one. Give them something new.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 am

songohan619 wrote: Why: I really want too hear Chris Ayers`delivery of "ZARBON, DODORIA, LOOK AT THE PRETTY FIREWORKS!!"
There is a flashback to that scene in Kai. And Ayres' delivery was amazing as usual.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.