DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 pm

Cacarot wrote:That episode was actually the first Kai episode with Kikuchi bgm which I thought was well done. I still hope that for the DVDS they use a revised Yamato score as opposed to Kikuchi.
I did like the BGM this episode, but I'm really starting to not care either way. It feels like I'm putting way too much thought and effort into something I can't control. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Haven't caught some dubbed Kai (or any Kai, really) in a while, so I figured I'd DVR some of the episodes during the marathon the other day.

Holy crap. In general, I hate the idea of them re-using footage from the old series and rehashing it as this new hotness, so I was never all that big on Kai when it started airing in Japan. Gotta say, though, that I am in love with the dub for the show. Just caught the "Super Vegeta" episode and smiled when I heard every one of Vegeta's badass lines from the Japanese script spoken in English. It's about damn time FUNi treated the series the same way they treat the rest of their series (in terms of dubbing, anyway).

On another note, hearing that the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Rays will be having re-dubbed lines (at least that's what the impression I got was when it was announced) made me think what would be up for the DB franchise for FUNi. I honestly thought YYH's dub didn't need a complete overhaul, so hearing that it would be getting one makes me think a redub for DBZ isn't completely out of the question if people weren't already satisfied with Z Kai.

As for the whole possibility of the Buu Saga being Kai-ified, if what I'm getting from this Big O talk is real then I would be totally down for it if only for a a more accurate dub for that part of the series.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am

This is just a guess from me, but I think YYH Blu-rays are probably a similar thing to the Season Sets in which select few lines are tweaked, not the entire thing redone from scratch.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ryken100

Post by Ryken100 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 am

Did anyone else notice the censoring in 65 was seemingly toned down a bit? They still seemingly censored direct punches to the face, but they showed Vegeta's arm being broken, and 17's hand pushing through Piccolo's back. They pretty much didn't censor any non-face attacks.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:11 am

Ryken100 wrote:Did anyone else notice the censoring in 65 was seemingly toned down a bit? They still seemingly censored direct punches to the face, but they showed Vegeta's arm being broken, and 17's hand pushing through Piccolo's back. They pretty much didn't censor any non-face attacks.
They also kept in 17 strangling Tien, something they didn't allow with Frieza and Piccolo.

This is probably a stupid question but, the Nicktoons version doesn't add in the guy complaining about his truck does it? I can't see Nicktoons as, all of a sudden, caring about innocent civilians' lives.

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:47 am

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Ryken100 wrote: This is probably a stupid question but, the Nicktoons version doesn't add in the guy complaining about his truck does it? I can't see Nicktoons as, all of a sudden, caring about innocent civilians' lives.

That line is actually from the Nicktoons. I hope it won't be present on the DVD version :P

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 pm

gameleon wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:
Ryken100 wrote: This is probably a stupid question but, the Nicktoons version doesn't add in the guy complaining about his truck does it? I can't see Nicktoons as, all of a sudden, caring about innocent civilians' lives.

That line is actually from the Nicktoons. I hope it won't be present on the DVD version :P
To be honest, I think it's retarded either way. Nicktoons has NEVER censored death before. I mean, actually try to play out the death as never happening.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Probably because all the other deaths were fantasy violence, aliens killing aliens. This was an innocent human being murdered in cold blood. Nicktoons has to draw the line somewhere. Besides, it was probably done anyways for Toonzai's benefit.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:18 pm

What about the guy in the tanker truck who died in the explosion when Gero was draining the life out of Yamcha? They didn't give 2 shits about that and it's essentially the same thing. Hell, since it wasn't caused by a ki blast, it's even less fantasy than the guy here. Not to mention the 3 guys the androids got a little.... hands on with. The only one they censored was the one that got strangled to death and, even then, they implied it.

Maybe they didn't want the 'good guy' to be responsible for ending an innocent life, since it was Vegeta's blast?

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:28 pm

This sounds a little far-fetched but maybe the gas guy's death was kept in because it was only indirectly caused by the androids. Vegeta probably knew #18 was going to jump, and the impression he gave kind-of signaled he didn't give a damn if he killed him. It was murder. That might have played a hand in that censorship.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Ironically, since the explosion is still happening when he makes the 'inserted' (I assume) line, you could interpret that as the guy comically worrying about his truck and not the fact that he's dying.

Also, that still doesn't explain the 3 guys that the androids directly killed, and with their own hands.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:39 pm

It could just be a throwaway line Funimation inserted in the TV version to sell the uncut version.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Mass genocide is far easier to ignore than a single death. At least, I would say so in cartoons...
I think this is following the pattern that the CN edits did where as time goes on they get less severe.
Edit: I want to elaborate as I feel I didn't explain my thoughts above well enough. I think there's a greater sense of immediacy/awareness when a single character dies as compared to an entire city leveled. A child is probably more likely to process that than a genocide.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 pm

Still doesn't rule out my contradiction, where the androids pick off the 3 people by hand since they're offed one by one.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 am

Man that truck scene was hilarious to me and my sister's boyfriend. We just kept laughing after that dumb "hey my truck" line.

I'm really glad they kept 17 choking tien.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Holy shit, they left the 'arm breaking' scene intact!

The GREAT D.

Post by The GREAT D. » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Just watched the newest episode on nicktoon's website. Overall the dub was great as usual, but there were some off spots. Like Sabat's Kami sounding a little off, and Yamucha calling Trunks "Future Trunks" even though he shouldn't know Trunks' name because he wasn't there when Piccolo revealed who he was.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 pm

The GREAT D. wrote:Yamucha calling Trunks "Future Trunks" even though he shouldn't know Trunks' name because he wasn't there when Piccolo revealed who he was.
I KNOW!!! My wife and I had a huge laugh over that. Anyway, this is the first Episode I've watched on Nicktoons in a while. But my god, so many things that upset me in this Episode. Sabat's Piccolo sounded like utter crap. His yells were so weak. Sabat's Kami also sounded too much verging on Piccolo. Tenshinhan continued to sound bored with every line he spoke. And of course Vale sounded too deep and arrogant. He's just plain awful these days.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Considering the 3 year gap between Trunks' arrival and the androids' appearance, is it that much of a stretch to think someone told Yamcha Trunks' name by now?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Sonny Strait's Kuririn has been sounding pretty off in the past few episodes. John Burgmeier's Tenshinhan as well. Yamucha knowing "Future Trunks" was annoying.

The only solid performances were those of the artificial humans. (Oh, and Clinkenbeard's Gohan and Rial's Bulma, of course.)

I actually liked the choices of Kikuchi pieces though.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?