DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by funrush » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:20 am

Vale's Trunks was so rough this episode. Yamcha's Future Trunks thing was really stupid. The music was placed well though. I laughed when the androids stole the food truck.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:08 am

I was really bothered by Tien's voice this last episode..What's going on there? Trunks.. I don't like it when he talks. :cry:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Vale Kai Trunks kinda remind me Ocean dub Trunks,same tough tone
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Why does Vale insist on the rasp? It sounds so bad.

"Vegeta- I mean my dad" that line stuck out to me so badly because of how awfully acted it was.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:46 pm

funrush wrote:Yamcha's Future Trunks thing was really stupid.
Well Yamcha's a pretty stupid character to me, so it kinda made sense that way. Still doesn't stop the fact that the line stood out so much, though.

Also, I have no clue about who VA's which character, but I thought Mr. Popo and Kami sounded really similar this episode.

The main reason I was anticipating this episode was because I wanted to see how they'd handle the whole Piccolo still coming off as evil thing. From what I remember of the Viz manga, Piccolo referred to himself as the Great Demon King, which I thought was pretty cool. Was somewhat disappointed that all that suggested backstory was delivered in one long convenient line by Tenshinhan in the dub, though.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Kami is Chris Sabat, and Mr. Popo is Chris Cason in Kai. In the old DBZ dub they were both played by Sabat.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:36 pm

We need J Michael Tatum back to writing the dub scripts for Kai.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30 am

SolarBlade52 wrote:We need J Michael Tatum back to writing the dub scripts for Kai.
This times a thousand. Patrick Seitz pretty much burned the Trunks arc script. You could say he did okay for the 19 and 20 arc except for a few controversial lines. But he's starting to throw in some more questionable lines for the 17 and 18 arc. We really need J Michael Tatum back.

The GREAT D.

Post by The GREAT D. » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:53 am

funrush wrote: We really need J Michael Tatum back.
Um...Tatum wrote Thursday's episode. I love his voice acting and his scripts for the Freeza arc, but he should of really reconsidered a few things with the last episode's script. It definitely wasn't among his best work.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

The GREAT D. wrote:
funrush wrote: We really need J Michael Tatum back.
Um...Tatum wrote Thursday's episode. I love his voice acting and his scripts for the Freeza arc, but he should of really reconsidered a few things with the last episode's script. It definitely wasn't among his best work.
He did? I just assumed it was Patrick because of the "Future Trunks" line and such. I guess this means that Tatum is not really writing quality scripts either for now.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Is it just me or does his tone of voice when he said it almost imply he's mocking Trunks?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Guys, remember the Kai scripts at their worst are still leagues better than the Z dub's scripts.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:19 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Guys, remember the Kai scripts at their worst are still leagues better than the Z dub's scripts.
Yeah, but why should people who are interested in this dub and have waited well over a decade for a proper product still have to suffer for a less-than-acceptable version?

Apathy toward FUNimation's production values and integrity is in part what led to... well... FUNimation's dub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:53 am

VegettoEX wrote: Yeah, but why should people who are interested in this dub and have waited well over a decade for a proper product still have to suffer for a less-than-acceptable version?

Apathy toward FUNimation's production values and integrity is in part what led to... well... FUNimation's dub.
Anyone who finds this new dub "less than acceptable" would be in the huge minority. You can't please everyone. There are a few slip-ups here and there, but when your attention only focuses on them, you miss out on the bigger picture. The dub is good not just in comparison to the Z dub, but to anime dubs in general. It's not the best, but it's certainly not what I would call less than acceptable.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:19 am

Less than acceptable really brings up the question of what is acceptable? We're certainly never going to get a perfect dub; even the original Japanese had flaws now and again. Sometimes, one gets ups and downs, and there have been occasional hiccups in this portion of the series...but it's still enjoyable. The Future Trunks bit sounded more referential to me, but not entirely bothersome. Anyone who couldn't see a Super Saiyan from the Future dressed in a Capsule Corp. jacket, with Bulma's (at least, in the manga) hair color as being her kid would have to be blind. Especially after Trunks is born.

The fact that Bulma couldn't figure it out makes her come off more as the Absent Minded Professor from Flubber. Maybe Yamcha notices because of his personal spite towards Vegeta taking Bulma (which upset him), and Trunks return made it clear. 100% accurate? Maybe not, but in the long stretch, it affects very little other than making Yamcha look slightly more competent...which he really needs after turning into such a whiny punching bag (Tohru Furuya deserved better, he was Amuro Ray, Pegasus Seiya, Tuxedo Kamen!).

But, then we get to that tedious line where there are fans from the "This needs to be 100% literal translation with exactly matching voices or I don't like it!" to "Change the dialog, voices, music, and anything else, I like it better changed!" crowd sit at the edge of a large stream of varied tasting fans.

I'm of the crowd who likes mostly accurate work, but isn't afraid to enjoy a dub taking some liberties, if they keep the feel of things (it certainly worked with Yu Yu Hakusho), so this isn't detrimental to me...though, it might have been a tad bit too much "Nudge nudge, wink wink" in tone. I also wonder if it might just be a Nicktoons change, to give a name formally to the kids who didn't grow up with the old stuff. Not likely, but a thought.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:46 am

I think you guys are the missing the point, here.

I'm not keeping up with the dub, but apparently it's gone from "Wow, this is really accurate, flows well, is respectable, blah blah blah!" to "Hey, WTF is going on with the script? Hey, bring back that other dude so it can stay the way it already was when you started this."

It's not a matter of, "Let's discuss the values of how a dub is produced" in some theoretical way. The darn thing's already in-progress.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:50 am

When the "liberties" taken contradict plot and/or established character traits, then they shouldn't exist.

Yamucha should in no way have said, "Future Trunks!" Just like Bulma shouldn't have wondered if Vegeta was going to take them all hostage to get Goku to return from space some episodes back. Logically, Goku would only know if his friends were hostages if he actually returned, which would render the reason to take them hostage moot. Bulma isn't retarded and neither is Vegeta.

Funimation just making things up as they go along isn't acceptable anywhere.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:52 am

My apologies from swaying away from the current conversation, but I just noticed that the replacement Kikuchi score has finally caught up to the earlier reruns on Nicktoons. I just believed that they had found some loophole to were they were able to play their original run up to the point before the change, but I guess it must've taken longer for the to access the revised version of those episodes.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:33 pm

Really? Time to give my DVR a good workout. I can't wait to see the earlier episodes with the Kikuchi score.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I finally got around to watching the latest episode and here is what I have got to say about it.

The voice actor who plays Tenshinhan sounds bored as usual.

When Piccolo was talking at the scene of the battle he sounded weird. And, Kami sounded kind of like Piccolo during his whole speech to Piccolo. It seemed like Chris Sabat was a bit off this episode.

Also, I had read about the Future Trunks line on the forums but hearing it in the episode still sounded odd and out of place.

"Future Trunks, what's up man." --Yamcha

Ummm.....it sounded very odd and should not have been included.

Overall, I am losing interest in the dub and was thinking in that episode of not watching it anymore. However, I think I will continue watching it only to see Daemon Clark playing Cell.