DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by MetroidJunkie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
gmster wrote:What's surprising me is a lot of the dialogue they're editing, example "Might Freeza have met his doom" is actually OK for Toonzai, but Nicktoons goes the extra mile and changes "doom" to "match".
Is Nicktoons asking the dialogue to be changed or is Funimation's script writers playing it extra safe?
Okay, I just had a theory. Perhaps Ocean Group, the people doing the edits, are overshooting the bar for edits? Notice how, when they slip up (See editing error), Nicktoons never cares? You won't find slip ups getting corrected in reruns of the episodes, meaning Nicktoons knows about them but simply doesn't care. Perhaps Ocean Group is simply going beyond Nickoons' requirements?

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 am

DaemonCorps wrote:Sorry, if this was already brought up, but in the episode where they find the second time machine, I could have sworn that Trunks says that Bulma was the one that wrote "Hope!" on the machine. I was always under the impression that it was Trunks that wrote it though :/.
Bulma writes it.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Sorry, if this was already brought up, but in the episode where they find the second time machine, I could have sworn that Trunks says that Bulma was the one that wrote "Hope!" on the machine. I was always under the impression that it was Trunks that wrote it though :/.
Bulma writes it.
It would make more sense if Bulma wrote it, anyway, as a memorable when he's going back in time. What purpose would Trunks writing it bring? So he can stare at it?

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 am

Maybe Bulma wrote "help" because of what's happening in her time? The Andriod saga's timeline can be confusing at times because of the many timelines.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 am

thedarkuniter wrote:Maybe Bulma wrote "help" because of what's happening in her time? The Andriod saga's timeline can be confusing at times because of the many timelines.
She wrote "hope", probably because she "hoped" that Trunks would save Goku and defeat the androids.

The GREAT D.

Post by The GREAT D. » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:22 am

funrush wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:Maybe Bulma wrote "help" because of what's happening in her time? The Andriod saga's timeline can be confusing at times because of the many timelines.
She wrote "hope", probably because she "hoped" that Trunks would save Goku and defeat the androids.
Plus she wrote "Hope!" in plain english on the side of the time machine. So yeah, there's no possible way that she could of written "help".

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:23 pm

Okay, I just had a theory. Perhaps Ocean Group, the people doing the edits, are overshooting the bar for edits? Notice how, when they slip up (See editing error), Nicktoons never cares? You won't find slip ups getting corrected in reruns of the episodes, meaning Nicktoons knows about them but simply doesn't care. Perhaps Ocean Group is simply going beyond Nickoons' requirements?
Well, I thought Funimation was instructing Ocean what to edit video-wise. Funimation does all the dialogue stuff themselves.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 pm

gmster wrote:
Well, I thought Funimation was instructing Ocean what to edit video-wise. Funimation does all the dialogue stuff themselves.
Either way, my point is Nicktoons doesn't seem to care about these kind of censors when the slip ups aren't even touched.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:49 pm

The GREAT D. wrote:
funrush wrote:
Plus she wrote "Hope!" in plain english on the side of the time machine. So yeah, there's no possible way that she could of written "help".
Plus, in the Japanese version, Bulma saw what she wrote on the time machine and said "希望? (kibou)", which translates to "hope" in English.
So mondo lame.

goku262002

Post by goku262002 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:23 am

Hey guys. I got up this morning and i noticed that a re-airing of a saiyan saga episode on nicktoons (Episode where vegeta turns into a great ape) and i noticed right away that they replaced the score. So now they are no longer re-airing their original dub versions they aired the first time around. Yamamoto's score is now wiped from existence :(...

What i do what to know is are these the same old nicktoons edit versions just with the replaced score or are these the toonzai versions ported over to nicktoons?

I couldn't tell for sure because i don't watch the toonzai ones soo much. but I'm sure a few of you with a keen eye for these things can tell.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:10 pm

goku262002 wrote:What i do what to know is are these the same old nicktoons edit versions just with the replaced score or are these the toonzai versions ported over to nicktoons?
From the episodes I've seen yea, they're the same edits.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm

goku262002 wrote:Yamamoto's score is now wiped from existence :(...
No. There are still the first four DVD sets (up to episode 52) that will keep the Yamamoto score. Also, Goku vs. Freeza up to 17 and 18's awakening on Nicktoons still has the Yamamoto score.
goku262002 wrote:What i do what to know is are these the same old nicktoons edit versions just with the replaced score or are these the toonzai versions ported over to nicktoons?
Same edits but different score.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Kinda surprised no one brought this up but, anyone notice how pointless this edit was? After DBZK is done, I'm gonna have the last post be a retrospective look at the edits. I have a feeling when I look for the most pointless edit in the whole series, this may be it.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Kinda surprised no one brought this up but, anyone notice how pointless this edit was? After DBZK is done, I'm gonna have the last post be a retrospective look at the edits. I have a feeling when I look for the most pointless edit in the whole series, this may be it.

I really think there is NO reason for that to be edited. It's a completely useless edit.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Absurd. Why is the reason they would edit that line? Honestly, the uncut version sounds like it'd be said in the NickToons version. If anything, it should have been done the other way around.
So mondo lame.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:05 pm

goku262002 wrote:Hey guys. I got up this morning and i noticed that a re-airing of a saiyan saga episode on nicktoons (Episode where vegeta turns into a great ape) and i noticed right away that they replaced the score. So now they are no longer re-airing their original dub versions they aired the first time around. Yamamoto's score is now wiped from existence :(...

What i do what to know is are these the same old nicktoons edit versions just with the replaced score or are these the toonzai versions ported over to nicktoons?

I couldn't tell for sure because i don't watch the toonzai ones soo much. but I'm sure a few of you with a keen eye for these things can tell.
There's a way to get the old yamamoto's score in the Nicktoons episodes. On their website, they still have the older episodes stored in carts and they're unchanged.

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Kinda surprised no one brought this up but, anyone notice how pointless this edit was? After DBZK is done, I'm gonna have the last post be a retrospective look at the edits. I have a feeling when I look for the most pointless edit in the whole series, this may be it.

I think this proves it, either Ocean or Funimation is making changes on their own accord, unless any of you guys actually think Nicktoons would demand this. :P

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:20 pm

Don't you guys know? Nicktoons hates field trips.

We're being trolled by a dub scriptwriter.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Isn't there a distinct possibility that arbitrary changes like that aren't "edits," but simply two different takes that were each mistakenly used?

We know they're recording lots of scenes and lines twice for the uncut and edited scripts. Add all the alternate takes for each one in there, and there are probably quite a few recordings of each line floating around.

Stuff like that is probably just a mix up. Maybe Chris Sabat read the "field trip" line first, decided he didn't like it, and came back to try the "expedition" line later? And then one got thrown into the uncut audio, while one, mistakenly or not, ended up in the Nicktoons audio.

We know there's some mixing and matching going on because of differences between previews and actual episodes, uncut and edited lines that seem to have almost certainly been switched accidentally, etc. I'd bet money on one of these takes having originally been intended for the cutting-room floor.

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Cipher wrote: We know there's some mixing and matching going on because of differences between previews and actual episodes, uncut and edited lines that seem to have almost certainly been switched accidentally, etc. I'd bet money on one of these takes having originally been intended for the cutting-room floor.
Not to sound like a douche but this wouldn't happen if Funimation simply censored as much as Nicktoons requires them to. It seems like Nicktoons doesn't give a crap when the 'censored' lines get slipped or switched since Nicktoons seems to never censor them for rerun, even when they air early in the morning. The only thing I recall Nicktoons retroactively changing is the music due to that scandal crap. Even the blood slip (Sort of? Background blood splotches with white light blood) with Tien's arm is still there.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:09 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Bulma writes it.
Wow, all this time I thought it was Trunks that wrote it :/. Checking with my Viz manga, (DBZ Vol. 30. page 135) Trunks says, "Look here... I wrote this the day I left." in reference to the "Hope!" writing. Bah, guess I can blame the Viz translation for all these years of not knowing.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams