Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Kai (FUNimation English) Dub: General Discuss

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 am

Wow, actual interactions with the with *and* the best friend? Being completely new to the anime version of this arc, I gotta say that Goku coming back after the heart virus was done much better in the anime than the manga. Really got a sense of "Wow, after all these episodes without him, it's good to have him back again." Kinda feel bad about that hole Kuririn made in the plane, though. Or at least I would if it wasn't suggested that it was Yamcha's (dunno if it's the voice or just him, but I'm really not liking him watching the series this time around).

Kinda curious about how the uncut version will handle Piccolo's lines to 17 when the Android show up at Kame House. From what I remember of the manga, he says something like "Our visitors from hell have arrived." It was back before Viz's translations got too ridiculous, so I've always assumed the line was similar in the original Japanese version.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:48 am

Currently watching ep 72, and I noticed that they used the exact same Kikuchi piece from 'Z' in similar places (when Piccolo starts beating the crap outta #17).

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Ugh. Do they still have to use "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"?

Also, Roshi's "The world needs a hero now" made me a little ill.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:57 pm

penguintruth wrote:Ugh. Do they still have to use "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"?
That's sort of been the official dub name for it for a while, so it makes sense that they'd retain it. Nonetheless, their track record for DVD version corrections is about 50-50, so there's at least some chance the correct name will end up being used.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 am

It's not like "Exaggerated Time Chamber" is an inaccurate description of the place.

Glad to see Clarke hasn't lost it; I just got my Dragon Box 5 in, and watching the Cell Game dubbed again, he really was one of the few that nailed his character the first time around.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:It's not like "Exaggerated Time Chamber" is an inaccurate description of the place.
You're right. It's not an inaccurate description. But it's also not its name. I could say it's "that place with the white space and hourglasses where a year inside is a day outside," and that's an accurate description... but it's not its name.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:You're right. It's not an inaccurate description. But it's also not its name. I could say it's "that place with the white space and hourglasses where a year inside is a day outside," and that's an accurate description... but it's not its name.
So you two only call "Greece" by its real name of Ellada, yes? Or does that not count because it isn't an animu.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:22 pm

I can't believe they actually got Dameon Clarke back as Cell, I thought they were going to go with Travis Willingham? This has totally rekindled my interest in Kai.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:37 pm

All that's up in the air now is if he can do the Second Form voice any better; I recall in Infinite World he could actually start manipulating it without the grease and gravel everywhere- not that that isn't a part of the voice.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 pm

I wasn't even going to intently keep up with the English dub of Kai because of the replacement score, but now I'm extremely interested in hearing Dameon Clarke's superb acting backed up by a far superior script.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:You're right. It's not an inaccurate description. But it's also not its name. I could say it's "that place with the white space and hourglasses where a year inside is a day outside," and that's an accurate description... but it's not its name.
So you two only call "Greece" by its real name of Ellada, yes? Or does that not count because it isn't an animu.
Or Japan Nippon? :P Also can't wait to hear Dameon Clark as Cell. Also its great to be back on these forums.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Sorry DP. :oops:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/d ... -full.html

Cell's second form...similar voice but less "blech".

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:04 am

Seriously? You're going to complain that they changed "Room of Spirit and Time" to "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"? That's barely even a fucking change, what difference does it? No pun was lost, no plothole was created, all it does is take something extremely plain sounding name and make it sound less like a description. It gets the same exact meaning across. God forbid the dub not be a 100% literal translation in every little aspect.
­

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:38 am

He's probably complaining more because "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" just sounds incredibly stupid.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:55 am

Taku128 wrote:Seriously? You're going to complain that they changed "Room of Spirit and Time" to "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"? That's barely even a fucking change, what difference does it? No pun was lost, no plothole was created, all it does is take something extremely plain sounding name and make it sound less like a description. It gets the same exact meaning across. God forbid the dub not be a 100% literal translation in every little aspect.
Why so rude?

They're going back and changing things, including certain names (like various attacks) and titles (things like "Guru" to "Great Elder"), so why not change another dub-ism that has no precedent beyond their initial adaptation, and can be perfectly translated from its Japanese phrasing without ANY awkwardness AND save an entire spoken syllable in the process?

It's perfectly within reason and within the bounds of things they're already doing with this dub. Of all the changes they've made, this is one I expected more than several others.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Seriously? You're going to complain that they changed "Room of Spirit and Time" to "Hyperbolic Time Chamber"? That's barely even a fucking change, what difference does it? No pun was lost, no plothole was created, all it does is take something extremely plain sounding name and make it sound less like a description. It gets the same exact meaning across. God forbid the dub not be a 100% literal translation in every little aspect.
Why so rude?

They're going back and changing things, including certain names (like various attacks) and titles (things like "Guru" to "Great Elder"), so why not change another dub-ism that has no precedent beyond their initial adaptation, and can be perfectly translated from its Japanese phrasing without ANY awkwardness AND save an entire spoken syllable in the process?

It's perfectly within reason and within the bounds of things they're already doing with this dub. Of all the changes they've made, this is one I expected more than several others.
They've been changing inaccuracies, and there's nothing inaccurate about the name Hyperbolic Time Chamber. The name Room of Spirit and Time doesn't convey the idea of a place where time moves significantly faster than normal than Hyperbolic Time Chamber does. All changing it would do is confuse people who were already familiar with the name from the DBZ dub.
Savage68 wrote:He's probably complaining more because "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" just sounds incredibly stupid.
I don't see what's stupid about the name Hyperbolic Time Chamber, especially when the majority of characters are named after various types of food.
­

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 am

I honestly don't remember Daemon Clarke's Second Form Cell being so terrible in the Dragon Ball Z dub (but I saw that back in 2003 and that was one of the first episodes I saw) I was shocked when I heard it for the first time its terrible. I really enjoyed his 1st Form Cell so that was a shock but thankfully Perfect Cell is getting closer to appearing.

Colleen's #18 improved a lot near the end of the episode and I enjoyed her #18 for the first time.

Also, goodbye Chuck Huber it has been a pleasure hearing your wonderful #17 voice.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Hm, maybe I dislike "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" because:

1) It's not a proper translation.

2) The word "hyperbolic" is added for no reason. Funimation thinking they're creative when they aren't.

3) It sounds utterly retarded.

4) It's not the fucking name of the place. Period.

"Aw, I can't believe you would complain about it." Yeah, you're right. We really should go back to calling Shenron "The Eternal Dragon", too.

Is "Hyperbolic Time Chamber" going to prevent me from watching or even buying the releases? No. It was merely a minor complaint.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Taku128 wrote:They've been changing inaccuracies, and there's nothing inaccurate about the name Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
That's not it's name. Thus, it's inaccurate. It's really, honestly that simple man.

"Hyperbolic Time Chamber" doesn't sound like a BAD name to me, but there was, in all honesty, no reason to change the name from "Room of Spirit and Time". They might as well have called the Kikoho "TRI-BEAM".

Oh, wait...
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/