'Season One' (Episodes #1-26) Box Set Coming!

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

'Season One' (Episodes #1-26) Box Set Coming!

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:40 pm

She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: 'Season One' (Episodes #1-26) Box Set Coming!

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Pretty much expected nothing less of Funimation. They've done similar repackagings with their other series. Though, if the price isn't comparable to the Walmart bundles, then I'll probably stick with those ones instead.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Woah. I guess I'll wait to get those instead of rushing to that Amazon sale. Although, I think I'll get the 13 sets, and the 26 sets because it's unavoidable that these sets will have the Kikuchi score.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:46 pm

If the Kikuchi Score is on it, I will be buying.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 pm

One thing though, I think it's pretty half-assed to release these sets before the current sets even finish their run. Now, I'm wondering if they'll even finish releasing the 13-episode sets or if they'll end it at the sixth (or even fifth!).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 pm

funrush wrote:One thing though, I think it's pretty half-assed to release these sets before the current sets even finish their run. Now, I'm wondering if they'll even finish releasing the 13-episode sets or if they'll end it at the sixth (or even fifth!).
They'll keep releasing the two-disc sets. FUNimation does this with all of their titles. Kai probably just sold enough to warrent the beginning of a second release line.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Or, on the other side of the coin, sales might be slipping, so they could be releasing this in order to stimulate people who had been holding out to start buying. But I doubt they'll be cancelling. I highly doubt it... but history doesn't exactly speak in their favor, does it? :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
funrush wrote:One thing though, I think it's pretty half-assed to release these sets before the current sets even finish their run. Now, I'm wondering if they'll even finish releasing the 13-episode sets or if they'll end it at the sixth (or even fifth!).
They'll keep releasing the two-disc sets. FUNimation does this with all of their titles. Kai probably just sold enough to warrent the beginning of a second release line.
Can you give me some examples? I don't pay attention too much to Funi's newer anime so the only 13 episode sets of Funi's that are currently being released that I know are Kai, FMA, and One Piece. And from what I know, One Piece actually may be phasing out it's 13 episode sets for the newer 26 episode sets.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 pm

funrush wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Can you give me some examples? I don't pay attention too much to Funi's newer anime so the only 13 episode sets of Funi's that are currently being released that I know are Kai, FMA, and One Piece. And from what I know, One Piece actually may be phasing out it's 13 episode sets for the newer 26 episode sets.
D.Gray-man, Big Wind-Up (of course, they've sworn off licensing the second series because of sales, so I guess that doesn't count), One Piece (which after sixteen two-disc sets is just now beginning a four-disc set line), Keroro-Gunsou, Crayon Shin-chan, and Hetalia Axis Powers, just to name a few. The common practice for a few years now has been to do one line of two-disc sets then a second of four-disc sets.

By the way, you can pre-order the set on RightStuf!
She/Her
bisexual milf

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Retail price for the set is $50 for the DVD and $55 for the BD. Which is also the same amount for the two-disc sets when they came out. Chances are, Amazon will eventually have them for $25-30 as soon as they're out for a few months. These sets are a great deal!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Looks like it's time to actually consider buying this series now. After waiting for a price drop, anyway. And provided it has the Kikuchi score.

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Now that I think about it, this explains why the two-disc sets' MSRP was reduced $20.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:56 pm

I'd only get a future set for 27-52 if the Yamamoto score is in tact
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:38 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the WalMart-Exclusive boxset repackaged for an expanded retail release with the Kikuchi score slapped onto the Parts 1 & 2 episodes. Granted, if that does actually happen, I'll probably buy it, just to have the Walmart release with the Yamamoto score and also have the retail rerelease with the Kikuchi score to go along with it.
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:49 am

I'll have to see some pictures and boxart [Bluray] before I consider it.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:40 am

I hate myself so much because I will buy this. I'm a sucker for consistency and the Yamamoto score on the first 52 episodes I have will bug me. So this means I will have the first portion of Z five times. Ocean Dub Box set, Orange Brick, Dragon Box, Kai (Yamamoto), Kai (Kukichi). Yeah, I know I'm so cool.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Repackaged discs ahoy!
Not on Bly-Ray, though?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:00 pm

If they do a Blu Ray of it, I can just make my individuals DVD, and full boxes Blu Ray...though, if they make the whole thing revised score, it becomes more tempting to get that second release, to differentiate.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 pm

sangofe wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Repackaged discs ahoy!
Not on Bly-Ray, though?
The Blu-ray listing is up, actually.

RightStuf also has the set up for pre-order. DVD, Blu-ray.
She/Her
bisexual milf

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 am

If this has the Kikuchi score, then I will buy it on Blu-Ray. I honestly never really was all that into Kai, probably because I don't care about the English dub.I still felt there was enough good about it to warrant a purchase at some point. However when I was just about to seriously consider buying the Blu-Rays, Yamatogate happened. While I don't like Yamato's score as much as Kikuchi's, I still liked it as a part of Kai since it was something different. Unfortunately, I am a huge stickler for consistency, so having part of the series with Yamato's score and the rest with Kikuchi's would drive me nuts. That probably sounds silly, but that's just the way I am.

On another note, I hope for the sake of those of you who have started purchasing the Kai sets, that they finish that release.