DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm

I really like Piccolo's angry voice lol. He really sounds imposing well talking back to the androids. Cell is doing pretty good too! :mrgreen:

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I just love how red and black the UUE's theme was... Really reminded me of the Virtual Boy! :lol:
Yeah, which is yet another reason I hate the orange bricks. Of course, this is nothing compared to the terrible image quality and scratchy Japanese audio, but still, they just had to go with the normal ones.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:27 pm

... Did they really just edit out the little smooch noise when Goku and ChiChi had that one and only off screen kiss?!

Cacarot

Post by Cacarot » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Yo my friend told me that they edited out a makeout scene between Android 17 and 18. Is that true? I hope they didn't cause that would have been hot.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Cacarot wrote:Yo my friend told me that they edited out a makeout scene between Android 17 and 18. Is that true? I hope they didn't cause that would have been hot.
... No.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:17 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:... Did they really just edit out the little smooch noise when Goku and ChiChi had that one and only off screen kiss?!
There's no noise in the original. O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:00 am

Cacarot wrote:Yo my friend told me that they edited out a makeout scene between Android 17 and 18. Is that true? I hope they didn't cause that would have been hot.
LOL this reminds me of that "videl/mr satan" situation. :wink:

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:... Did they really just edit out the little smooch noise when Goku and ChiChi had that one and only off screen kiss?!
There certainly is! It's just a little peck noise, and it happens off screen, but it's there. It's the only time we are ever aware that they even kiss.

EDIT: I'm an idiot! :P
Last edited by ohaimynameiserik on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:43 am

Dragon Ball doesn't involve itself with incestuous relationships. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
There certainly is! It's just a little peck noise, and it happens off screen, but it's there. It's the only time we are ever aware that they even kiss.
Was... this dub only from Z? I can imagine it, if it was.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, looks like I was wrong. I could have sworn that noise was in there, but I just watched the Japanese version of the episode and it looks like it's not. My bad. :?
(I made sure to fast forward to that very spot so I wouldn't hear Yamamoto's score and then start to cry uncontrollably.)

I'll check my DVD's later to see if it's in the Japanese version of Z.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 pm

A few comments on this week's episodes:

What's up with the doorknob imagery when Goku's talking about surpassing the base SSJ state? I vaguely remember seeing something similar in Bleach when the subject of surpassing your strength came up, but can anyone explain it any further than that? I'm assuming there's some kind of saying about doorknobs and getting stronger that I'm unaware of..?

I also noticed that #17 flicked his earring in a similar way that #19 did back when he was fighting Vegeta. Such a thing didn't show up in the manga, so I was wondering if this is just some kind of weird action akin to something like twiddling one's thumbs and if it suggested anything about that person's personality.

In terms of BGM, I noticed that they've been playing that slide whistle BGM quite a bit these past couple episodes. Not much to say except it's somewhat distracting just because I never really expected such a piece during a fight scene :/.

As for dub lines, Piccolo's "Game Over!" just made me think of another WeeklyTubeShow video. I'm guessing it has to have been an edited version only line since well... it just seems so weird for Piccolo to say it.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Things just got so much more confusing!

It seems after replacing the music on the Nicktoons version of DBZK, they some how let some uncensored lines slip in. I don't know if this was on purpose or just an accident. Probably just an accident...? Because of this though, every now and then I'll be updating some episodes on the Nicktoons Edits Guide with images of these retroactive unsensorings like this:

Now. On the flip side to that, they're also retroactively censoring lines! What? I'm figuring since they don't have an unedited line to put in it's place they're... well, they're doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUjc7GQW9cE

Kinda reminds of when Poochie (from The Simpsons) had to go off to space because his planet needed him. Pretty hilarious stuff right there.

In any event. I would appreciate if you happen to come across one of these retroactive censoring\uncensorings to maybe post them here so I could just update the Nicktoons Edits Guide (and perhaps to have a few laughs). Man what a mess this turned out to be!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:05 pm

What happened in that youtube clip? It goes from one voice to another and then cuts off.... :|
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 pm

I noticed the same thing for some Saiyan saga dialogue too, Tanooki.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I like how on Episode 74's description on the Nicktoons site it says "Room of Spirit and Time", I guess they didn't double check that.
But, as the episodes go on, I've been really enjoying Dameon Clarke back as Cell. He was one of my favorite casting choices from the original dub and loved his performance then.
So, this is only better than ever. It's good to see that an amazing Freeza and the Cell from the previous dub back in this for Kai!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow, they edited out Cell's blast to Piccolo. They even showed that on Cartoon Network.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Anyone got a link to the new episode on Nicktoons website? I don't know the name of the title so I can't type it myself. :P

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:33 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Anyone got a link to the new episode on Nicktoons website? I don't know the name of the title so I can't type it myself. :P
Here you go:
http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/d ... -full.html

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm

Hey, thanks a lot!