List of the Best Animated Episodes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Re: List of the Best Animated Episodes

Post by fps_anth » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:55 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: Also, curious: are we limited to just putting up DBZ episodes, or can we put up DB ones, too? Though I guess it'd be pretty hard to distinguish good from bad in that case since the art style itself was completely different then.
I'd like to have a list of all three series. But you have a point with the bolded... I personally haven't read the manga/watched the anime of the "Dragon Ball" portion of the series enough to judge the animation, but I'm sure you guys have good examples of great animation being used.

There are definitely some great posts so far in this thread, but for now I'd like to refrain from adding the Kanzentai thumbnails to the list. Simply because those are Hujio/Herms' screencaps. If they'd like to contribute by posting larger versions of those posted in this thread, that would be awesome. Til then, let's use only our own screencaps please :)

Now, I'm trying to make some screen caps from my R2 DVD with VLC. For some reason, the images are coming out lossy as fuck. I haven't changed any settings, and the images are still definitely being saved as .PNGs. The screencaps are fine for my R1 Dragon Boxes... anyone know what the problem is?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Try using Media Player Classic (and resize them to 640x480, of course). VLC's been really shitty for a while.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, since we're allowed to put up earlier episodes, I figured I'd dust off my old FUNi discs:

Dragon Ball Episode 146
Son Goku's Trap

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Comments: I noticed this style to start showing up around the King Piccolo episodes and always for a significant episode (for good reason!). The style feels like a mix of the best of Toriyama's early and later styles, still making use of more curves over corners, but the overall character designs are post-time skip, so almost everyone pretty much looks the way they do in Z except for their noticeably skinny necks. I guess that's what the animators associate with youth?
Submitted by: DaemonCorps
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 pm

^
Ha! I was watching that ep yesterday and thought something similiar. Most of that fight is well animated.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:48 am

I'd be grateful is someone with access to their DVD collection could post screenshots corresponding to the two episodes I posted.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:17 pm

^ I don't have those episodes, but seeing caps of them reminded me of this one:

Dragon Ball Episode 139
Another Fierce Fight! Goku vs Tenshinhan

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Comments: This episode and its art style basically defines the Shen/Yamcha fight for me. I've watched it so many times dubbed and subbed that I (almost) don't mind that they flub up and and have Goku mention Kami's alien heritage a whole series too early! The art style's also got some of the best reaction shots ever, making some of the more drab looking characters like Shen a lot more fun to watch.
Submitted by: DaemonCorps

Hell, I liked the episode so much, I ended up taking a crapton more screencaps of it.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Are you sure about that one Daemon? That first screenshot of Goku has his left arm extremely badly drawn. Of course, maybe that's just a minor nitpick in what's otherwise a greatly animated Episode.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:25 pm

His one with Kuririn? Ooh, yeah that's a weird angle. Still... love the art style.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 am

Dragonball Episode 136
The Hitman Tao Pai Pai's Counterattack

Image Image
Image Image

Yet another example of the mostly brilliant and rich animation of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc. I love the lighting and colours of Tao-Pai-Pai's cannon as he charges the Super Dodonpa.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:15 am

Fionordequester wrote:Are you sure about that one Daemon? That first screenshot of Goku has his left arm extremely badly drawn. Of course, maybe that's just a minor nitpick in what's otherwise a greatly animated Episode.
Animation isn't the same thing as art. Something beautifully animated can still have wonky art flubs or bad drawings.

Although this particular episode happens to have great art as well; that arm thing is just an off-shot.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Dragonball Z: Episode 14
Such Sweet Temptation! The Snake Princess's Hospitality

Kanzentai doesn't have many really good caps showing off the animation of this episode. I know at lot of people don't like it but I thought it had some of the best animation of the 1 year training arc.

-DemonRin

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Dbz episode 112

Restore Everyone's Minds!!
The Super Holy Water Resting in the Temple

Link
http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=112

Every one is on model.

Check out those shots of piccolo, maby the best looking piccolo in the series.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 pm

DBZ Episode 189

Dispite being animatied by The triangle crap guy this came out to be a very well animatied episode.

The Nightmare is Reborn!! An Absolute and Perfect Terror

Link

http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=189

Look at those pixtures of cell. Plus the efects of the episode where great.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:10 pm

DBZ Episode 160

An Infinate Battle Power!!
The Birth of the God of Destruction is Named Cell
Great animation especilly when compared to the next episode

Link

http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=160

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 pm

DBZ Episode 159

A Shock to the Entire Universe!!
Cell, A Spectacular Evolution Toward His Perfect Form

Link

http://www.kanzentai.com/eps-dbz.php?id=159

Great animation,,, look at vegeta's eyes so shiny.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 pm

DHM211 wrote:DBZ Episode 159.
Isn't that already listed on the first page by coola? and why the double/triple/quadruple post? Why not edit the first one?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Are you sure about that one Daemon? That first screenshot of Goku has his left arm extremely badly drawn. Of course, maybe that's just a minor nitpick in what's otherwise a greatly animated Episode.
Dude, watch that part of the fight and you won't notice it. It is one of the best fight animations in all 3 of the series.

I wanted to do a topic like this for ages. I will upload some episodes later.

Some episodes by Aoshima and Co. always did a good following-up as well compared to the episodes listed here. Loved the art style used in Ten vs Goku. So beautiful!
DBZ Mick wrote:Dragonball Episode 136
The Hitman Tao Pai Pai's Counterattack

Image Image
Image Image

Yet another example of the mostly brilliant and rich animation of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai arc. I love the lighting and colours of Tao-Pai-Pai's cannon as he charges the Super Dodonpa.
Another one of my favourites! Only if they had these three styles of animation back to back exluding the triangle crap and Last House.

EDIT: It's the episode that Goku arrives on the scene to fight Drum! That episode was gorgeous!!!!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:18 am

I don't remember which episode it's from, but Yamcha vs. Tenshinhan looks amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIk0-75vCO0

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:29 am

Kinda agree, even last House have their moments.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:40 am

I prefer the episode after that one a little more. That one looks amazing. They did great with the slo-mo stuff as well. It had cool "artsy" moments like when Ten and Yamcha both scrape each other on the cheek and shows their silhouette.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada