DB Majority of Anime Collection?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ManyFaces
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DB Majority of Anime Collection?

Post by ManyFaces » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:31 am

I don't know what it is about Dragon Ball but every other anime DVD/manga I've bought - other than Detective Conan - I end up selling on Ebay after a watch or two. It's not that that they're bad either; I just get tired of 'em. I've watched some DB episodes/movies 10-20 times and I'm still not bored of them. I think the reason why I never tire of this show is I've been watching this series since 1998... basically, it's become apart of me over the years. Oh, and the only reason I collect Detective Conan DVD's is because it's nostalgic to me otherwise I probably wouldn't have but a few episodes.

As of 2009, I've pretty much stop watching new anime altogether. Why? Everything new feels like a rip off something else. Anybody else feel the same way?

My collection of DC and DB material is about 50/50.

Detective Conan: Volumes 1-39, seasons 1-5, and movies 1-6 along with some Japanese material.

Dragon Ball: Dragon Boxes 1-6, DB blue bricks 1-5, both DBGT season sets, and the Daizenshuu published by Viz. I never got into collecting DB manga which is why I don't have own any. I'm just too spoiled by the anime's fight scenes to be able to enjoy the manga. Also, I use to have all the movies, but got rid of them along with the nine orange brick sets when the Dboxes were announced. Man, I was sure FUNi would have announced the movies by now - I hope they announce them at Otakon or else I might have to start buying them back. :?
Last edited by ManyFaces on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 am

It's a pretty good chunk, but I'd have to check to be sure for even an approximation.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:31 am

Even though Dragon Ball is a colossal series and I own all of it, I'd still say it only takes up about 10% of my collection. That includes Manga, BTW. I've never been a big Manga fan. For me, 9 times out of 10, the animated adaptation is better. Anime is the only Japanese thing I can honestly say I love. I'm somewhat indifferent to everything else.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:46 am

Four or five years ago, I would've said yes. I used to have a bunch of DBZ figures, VHS, shirts, and various single DVDs. But I've managed to condense my DB collection down to just the core anime (DB/Z/GT, movies) and the Viz manga.

Nowadays my collection tends to lean towards stuff like Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit), One Piece, Death Note, Robotech, Gundam, comic book movies, with a good assortment of MST3K and Simpsons for some diversity. I'd probably own more manga/books though, but I'm a hopeless animation addict. :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 pm

After adding up the minutes of my Dragon Ball related DVDs (Orange Bricks, Dragon Boxes 1-6, misc DVD singles, moves, and some Dragon Ball), I come to (very roughly) 15000 minutes. Over 10 days of consecutive watching! After adding most of the rest of my collection, I think it was safe to say in pure minutes Dragon Ball is over half of my collection. And I didn't even count my DBZ VHS collection...
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:39 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Four or five years ago, I would've said yes. I used to have a bunch of DBZ figures, VHS, shirts, and various single DVDs. But I've managed to condense my DB collection down to just the core anime (DB/Z/GT, movies) and the Viz manga.
Same here. I lost a good chunk of my figures when I moved (still hope to find them one day!) resulting in the DVDs and manga being the main part of my collection. While they take up two full levels on my shelf, I'd say at most it still makes up around half of my anime/manga collection... and that's mainly because I've got the shelf-space-sucking GT singles, whereas most other DVDs I've got are in "season set" form.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I have a few DB stuff and that's about it. I had not bought any DB figures that catches my eye to buy, Evangelion is my main anime that I collect the most since it's my top five favorite series. I have been trying to get Devilman and Guyver figures but I can never really find them. The rest of my collection is Spawn, Alien/Predator, Godzilla and other comic book superheros.

Not a big anime collector at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Yes, but only because Cowboy Bebop isn't nearly as long and I don't own Gurren Lagann (also not long enough).
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Yes, but only because Soul Eater Anime isn't close to as long as DBZ, plus the Manga is only available up to Volume 6 atm
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Outside of Dragon Ball stuff, I only buy good anime, most of which has been aired on TV. So... I own four other anime series in their entirety.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Now that I think of it, DB and Z together make up the most eps of any franchise I own with One Piece, Naruto, and the Gundam series I own together after it. This is what I have on dvd, minus Voltron and Transformers Cybertron:

http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?genre= ... ime*rgn_us

On vhs, DBZ is all I have except for 2 Sailor Moon videos and Princess Mononoke.

ManyFaces
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ManyFaces » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Um, who deleted my reply and why?

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:28 am

ManyFaces wrote:Um, who deleted my reply and why?
Probably nobody. This forum has a post eating glitch.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:40 am

It's not that I am not interested in owning any other anime series, it's just that they tend to be really expensive and/or hard to figure out what to purchase. I would love to own the One Piece anime, but the DVDs would total so much in cost that i stick with the manga. I am also very interested in Gundam, but as someone who isn't intimately familiar with the series, it is almost impossible to figure out what's what. There are so many other shows and movies that I want to own, that a series has to work pretty hard to warrant a purchase. (Especially when I can watch so much subtitled anime for free on Hulu.)

Even with DragonBall, which is one of my absolute favorite series regardless of genre, I never considered buying the single disc DVDs. They were just too darn expensive for me, so I stuck to the manga. It wasn't until the Orange Bricks, and later the Dragon Boxes that I was finally able to justify the cost of the series. (Even though I was displeased with the Orange Brick quality, I was happy to finally be able to afford the series on DVD.)

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 am

ManyFaces wrote:Um, who deleted my reply and why?
It just got caught between pages:
ManyFaces wrote:I don't know what it is about Dragon Ball but every other anime DVD/manga I've bought - other than Detective Conan - I end up selling on Ebay after a watch or two. It's not that that they're bad either; I just get tired of 'em. I've watched some DB episodes/movies 10-20 times and I'm still not bored of them. I think the reason why I never tire of this show is I've been watching this series since 1998... basically, it's become apart of me over the years. Oh, and the only reason I collect Detective Conan DVD's is because it's nostalgic to me otherwise I probably wouldn't have but a few episodes.

As of 2009, I've pretty much stop watching new anime altogether. Why? Everything new feels like a rip off something else. Anybody else feel the same way?

My collection of DC and DB material is about 50/50.

Detective Conan: Volumes 1-39, seasons 1-5, and movies 1-6 along with some Japanese material.

Dragon Ball: Dragon Boxes 1-6, DB blue bricks 1-5, both DBGT season sets, and the Daizenshuu published by Viz. I never got into collecting DB manga which is why I don't have own any. I'm just too spoiled by the anime's fight scenes to be able to enjoy the manga. Also, I use to have all the movies, but got rid of them along with the nine orange brick sets when the Dboxes were announced. Man, I was sure FUNi would have announced the movies by now - I hope they announce them at Otakon or else I might have to start buying them back. :?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 am

I have some Pokemon from over a decade ago, but yes, Dragonball is the majority. It's the only one I actively collect.
Cipher wrote: Does anyone else just ... not really like anime? I used to be quite into it, around middle school mostly. But I'm really not a fan now. That is, I don't specifically avoid anime, but I also don't go looking for it. I've come to loathe a lot of its tropes as well. There are still scattered series I'll find and enjoy, but it will be because they're good series, not good anime.
Amen. Most anime I run into is either not good, or frequently reminds me that it isn't intended for me, a non-Japanese. That's probably the second tier of why shonen anime/manga do so well overseas compared to everything else; on top of generally being darker and and faster than their native counterparts, they don't beat you over the head with the fact that they're Japanese.

I'm not playing the "I want to watch my Japanese cartoons in ENGLISH!" card, either, it's pretty obvious that Dragonball and Yu Yu Hakusho are different beasts than Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya in more than just genre. Sometimes the style or characterization alone can be a barrier; take One Piece's increasingly wacky art, or Bubble Gum Crisis' (Tokyo 2040 = Best random online discovery ever) centering on women; no matter good the series is, foreign sensibilities will hurt it.

And now I realize I've moved to a completely different tangent, so I'm stopping there.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am

Cipher wrote:Does anyone else just ... not really like anime? I used to be quite into it, around middle school mostly. But I'm really not a fan now. That is, I don't specifically avoid anime, but I also don't go looking for it. I've come to loathe a lot of its tropes as well. There are still scattered series I'll find and enjoy, but it will be because they're good series, not good anime.
Back in middle school, it was all fresh and new and the culture shock was alien and intriguing.

WorldChampion

Post by WorldChampion » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:57 am

I used to have a bunch of anime on VHS but I got rid of most of it some time ago. As of now my collection is two Record of Lodoss War DVD box sets, and a ton of different DragonBall releases I've acquired over the past 12 years.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 am

Cipher wrote:Does anyone else just ... not really like anime? I used to be quite into it, around middle school mostly. But I'm really not a fan now. That is, I don't specifically avoid anime, but I also don't go looking for it. I've come to loathe a lot of its tropes as well. There are still scattered series I'll find and enjoy, but it will be because they're good series, not good anime.
I don't hate anime but I'm certainly not into it as I was years ago. It's kind of like what Rocketman said, when you're younger it was new and exciting. Now, nothing it does shocks you anymore. After a while it feels like you've seen it all.

And because I'm evil, I often recommend High School of the Dead and Queen's Blade to people who have never watched anime. Why? Because I want to reinforce any stereotype they had about anime into their brains.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:41 am

I like some anime, but I don't consider myself an "anime fan". Most anime without fighting or any anime that is not Cromartie High School is not for me. I watch American cartoons for laughs and Japanese cartoons for ass-kicking. Dragon Ball is most certainly the largest chunk of my anime, no, DVD collection. I've been collecting for a few years, since before I joined Daizex. And as of today I own this many:
8 Ocean Dub discs,
54 Orange Brick discs,
14 Steelbook Z Movie discs.
24 Dragon Box discs (with 18 on its way)
10 Kai Blu-Ray discs
12 GT Green Brick discs
30 Dragon Ball Blue Brick discs
152 Dragon Ball discs total

I have bought and burned quite a few additional discs for my brothers. They are all at their house so I don't know the exact number.

The second most discs I own are One Piece. Of which I own 24 discs. Then Fist of the North Star which I own 10 discs of. Then Spongebob and Pokemon are tied in third with 9 respectively. I own quite a few shows that are much shorter.