DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by penguintruth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Schemmel's Goku sounded too "beefy" and grainy tonight, almost like he was slipping back into his old performance.

And I'm pretty sure they added more dialogue during the scene where Kuririn agonizes over whether to destroy 18 or not.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 pm

MetalMadness wrote:I think it is because originally that scene was redrawn to extend the frame, because Kai's broadcast was 16:9, but because the Nicktoons broadcast is 4:3, there was no need to extend the frame since it showed all of the original image.
Yea, I kinda figured that. I was just shocked they still had them available and that they just used it now.

But, I guess they've done it before and no one noticed until now. This can't be the only time they've done this. I'm also shocked Nicktoons would care that much how the frame looks when they obviously don't care how certain things sound.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 pm

MetalMadness wrote:I think it is because originally that scene was redrawn to extend the frame, because Kai's broadcast was 16:9, but because the Nicktoons broadcast is 4:3, there was no need to extend the frame since it showed all of the original image.
I thought the same way, but as far as I know, every other extended scene was kept intact in the 4:3 version.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:43 am

"I can't go yet I still have so much shopping to do"

--Android 18

Lol, that line made me laugh from the Next Episode Preview.

Anyways, just saw the new episode and I still hate that echoing they put in the Room of Spirit and Time. Why does Funimation think its cool to add these unneeded sound effects Such as the mechanical voice for Mecha Freeza and now this annoying echo in the Room of Spirit and Time.

Otherwise, I am getting used to second form Cell's voice and am actually enjoying it and same with #18's voice.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Am I the only one who like Sabat's performance as Vegeta last night? It sounded like his Vegeta voice mixed with his Yamcha voice, during the part where he was bragging. It actually sounded like he was trying to match Horikawa's voice.

Also, was that #18 shopping line in the Japanese version of the NEP or was that a dub line?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm

funrush wrote:Am I the only one who like Sabat's performance as Vegeta last night? It sounded like his Vegeta voice mixed with his Yamcha voice, during the part where he was bragging. It actually sounded like he was trying to match Horikawa's voice.
I completely agree. It really stood out to me when watching it. It sounds like he's finally going back to the newer take on his Vegeta voice that he had developed throughout the beginning of Kai, but around the time Trunks first arrived he started slipping back to his old raspy performance, and stayed that way until maybe the episode before this one where he started phasing back to the smoother, more Horikawa-esque take.

It's even smoother and more natural now than it was when Kai started as well, and in fact, I think Sabat's performance here was better than Horikawa's was throughout Kai. It's a bit ironic that Sabat started out raspy, when Horikawa had a pretty smooth voice for Vegeta, but years later Sabat would be the one with the smoother voice and Horikawa would be the raspy one (though I suppose age will do that to you).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm

I wouldn't say that Sabat has surpassed Horikawa, but his Vegeta has been pretty solid lately.

The effect they put on Goku and Gohan in the ROSAT is just stupid. And I'm glad Cell has absorbed 18 because it means no more of the awful Semi-Perfect Cell voice.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:18 pm

What the hell was with the filter on Gohan's voice this latest episode? It was like he was talking into a plastic bag...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 am

According to the toonzone schedule, next week are reruns of old episodes :(

They couldn't even let us hear Perfect Cell one time before going on hiatus? :|

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:43 am

MetalMadness wrote:According to the toonzone schedule, next week are reruns of old episodes :(

Yea. Apparently they're dubbing that part of the series now. I'm guessing this next batch of episodes Nicktoons gets from FUNimation should be the last of them.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 am

MetalMadness wrote:According to the toonzone schedule, next week are reruns of old episodes :(

Awww crap that really sucks. I haven't watched the newest episode yet but I was really looking forward to hearing Clarke's Perfect Cell. I thought that Nicktoons would at least get up to the part when Cell announced the Cell Games but I guess not.

I was also looking forward to hearing Colleen Clickenbeard playing Gohan when he gets older. Guess we will have to wait.

Edit: Watching the episode now when Cell says "18" after he comes from out of the ground it reminded me of the way the Grand Elder talks and sounds in Team Four Stars Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

What is with the noise filter in the ROSAT. I know I put in my post for last episode that I hated it but really. When Gohan was talking it sounded terrible.

What a tease ending the episode without being able to hear Perfect Cell's voice and then Nicktoons going to re-runs.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 am

Yeah, I really wanted to hear Perfect Cell, but in 79 I noticed Goku say "Don't worry, going Super Saiyan ain't easy". They haven't thrown any type of wording like that in Goku's speech in a while.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Colleen screaming is so epic. I can't wait for her SSJ2 scream.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:58 am

I don't understand why they felt the need to add the echo-y effect in the ROSAT. There has to be some reason why they would do that. I really hope that the effect will disappear in the home releases.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:31 am

Saw the latest episode and like most of you guys said, I really enjoy Sabat's new performance of Vegeta a lot in this episode. He really has come a long way in terms of perfecting his Vegeta voice; from trying to sound like Drummond, to raspy and now this new and very improved voice. I really like it a lot and I hope he'll continue to use this voice in future episodes and video games. The echo effect didn't really bother me.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:21 pm

No retroactive uncensoring for episode 1. Also they didn't redub Freeza's laugh with Chris Ayres.

Episodes 2-4 also has no retroactive uncensoring.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

goku262002

Post by goku262002 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Doubt there going to retro-act any episodes. mainly from what i was told the re-aired episodes are pretty much the same with a new/old score.

The new dub episodes are on break correct? Anyone know when they will be starting up again?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm

goku262002 wrote:Doubt there going to retro-act any episodes. mainly from what i was told the re-aired episodes are pretty much the same with a new/old score.

The new dub episodes are on break correct? Anyone know when they will be starting up again?
Thing is episodes 22 & 24 have some uncut lines that weren't there originally.

Episode 5 has no retroactive uncensoring either.

goku262002

Post by goku262002 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:28 pm

Well what is the difference in these lines? Were they changed due to censorship or is it just a by product of changing the music? Also, were they changed in the toonzai airings as well?

According to this topic, the japanese satelite tv versions of kai have a different backround score. has any of the backround music changed in these english re-airings?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:21 am

goku262002 wrote:Well what is the difference in these lines? Were they changed due to censorship or is it just a by product of changing the music? Also, were they changed in the toonzai airings as well?

According to this topic, the japanese satelite tv versions of kai have a different backround score. has any of the backround music changed in these english re-airings?
Basically some lines were changed for the TV version for censorship, but a few uncut lines have snuck back in. What I've noticed in the Kikuchi Kai episodes on Nicktoons is that they only use music from DBZ movies 6-9, early DBZ music, and even some Buu saga music.