Who should sing the English version of "Dragon Soul" next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Who should sing the English version of "Dragon Soul" nex

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 am

I never saw the point of having non-professional singers come and dub for songs sung by professionals. Get some real singers, and I don't mean Vic Mignogna who's maybe sold ten copies of a CD of terrible Christian rock* (though he does have a nice voice).

I'm not asking for Black Eyed Peas or anything, but at least some people who make most of their living singing.

*There's no such thing as "good" Christian Rock. The last good song with Jesus in it was "Spirit in the Sky".
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:03 am

Part of me thinks that FUNi is doing all of these Dragon Soul dubs hoping that at least one of them comes out good :P
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:30 pm

penguintruth wrote:I never saw the point of having non-professional singers come and dub for songs sung by professionals. Get some real singers, and I don't mean Vic Mignogna who's maybe sold ten copies of a CD of terrible Christian rock* (though he does have a nice voice).

I'm not asking for Black Eyed Peas or anything, but at least some people who make most of their living singing.
I agree, but the unfortunate reality of the matter is that anime dubbing is not a very profitable business. Not just English dubs, but ALL dubs. Not to mention that it's a very difficult form of voice acting to do (because of the requirement to match the lip flaps). Why anime voice acting pays half as much for work that's twice as hard is beyond me. Again, this is universal of all dubs, not just English dubs.

I'm not saying that gives anime dubbing studios a "get out of jail free" card whenever they dub something, it's just that there's a reason you see the same people getting asked to sing the songs over and over again. It's not that they don't like variety.

Having said that, you do find the golden exception here and there. I won't provide links because I don't want to go too off-topic, but I think the best example of anime song dubbing that I can think of is the Brazilian Portuguese dub of "Saint Seiya." For the first opening theme, ending theme, and the ending theme for one of the movies, they got Eduardo Falaschi to do the singing for the Portuguese-dubbed versions of the songs. This is pretty big because Falaschi is the lead singer of a MAJOR Brazilian heavy metal band by the name of Angra. The English metal band Iron Maiden even considered using him at one point. That's the closest I've ever seen to a "big name" singer/celebrity doing a dubbed anime theme. And I must say...I think he sounds pretty damned good. Both his singing skill and his enthusiasm are on par with his Japanese counter-part (a J-rock artist by the name of MAKE UP, in this case).

It does make me wonder, though. If "celebrity" singers were an option for singing dubbed anime songs, who should sing "Dragon Soul" then?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Neil Patrick Harris would be my choice if any celebrity could sing it.

Or William Shatner...

gokusousukefan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gokusousukefan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 pm

This is almost exactly what I got for an anwser on FUNimation forums, It has been announced part 5 boxset of Dragon Ball Z Kai Sonny Strait aka Krillin will sing Dragon Soul, And part 6 a surprise person shall sing Dragon Soul, So the surprise singer may be Chris Sabet aka Vegetta, Chris Ayres aka Frieza, or Chiaoutsu or however his name is pronounced aka the writer of Sean's version of Dragon Soul Briana, These are just who I think may sing after Sonny.
Most beautiful dragon soul ever, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnZ3Jc_ ... re=related the most epic dragon soul ever! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvzJZxSmwA

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Get the guy that sang "Rock The Dragon" to sing it. :P

gokusousukefan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gokusousukefan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Makaioshin wrote:Get the guy that sang "Rock The Dragon" to sing it. :P
Nothing bad but Rock The Dragon stinks they should've used other songs, Like Cha La Head Cha La, Or We Gotta Power.
Most beautiful dragon soul ever, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnZ3Jc_ ... re=related the most epic dragon soul ever! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvzJZxSmwA

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:42 pm

gokusousukefan wrote:
Nothing bad but Rock The Dragon stinks they should've used other songs, Like Cha La Head Cha La, Or We Gotta Power.
He was joking.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Son Geeko wrote:
gokusousukefan wrote:
He was joking.
I would actually like to see that happen.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

gokusousukefan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gokusousukefan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am

Rock The Dragon had bad lyrics and music.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:55 am

gokusousukefan wrote:Rock The Dragon had bad lyrics and music.
Yeah, so?

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 pm

penguintruth wrote:
*There's no such thing as "good" Christian Rock. The last good song with Jesus in it was "Spirit in the Sky".

I disagree. This guy worked with Steve Perry as one of his first works. And his guitar work would put all of us to shame.

Anycase, off topic. I think... Doc Morgan should sing the theme song next :lol:
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

gokusousukefan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gokusousukefan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:49 am

Haha I called it, It turns out that Briana actually has been confirmed to be the 6th english singer.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:37 am

piccolo-san785 wrote:They should have just had Tanimoto Takayoshi from the very beginning.
Oh, I disagree wholeheartedly.

The vast majority of people who want the vocal songs to remain in their original Japanese language--in dubs, I mean--are subbies. Yes, that's a generalization, and there are exceptions. I, however, am very firmly of the belief that if you're going to dub something, you have to dub everything. Otherwise it's very distracting. I mean, the point of a dub is to both faithfully and eloquently simulate the original Japanese production in another language, so that one doesn't have to read a TV show. The Japanese audience doesn't have to read subtitles for when they watch Japanese movies or TV shows, because they speak Japanese. They can just sit back and experience the show rather than read it. Dubs eliminate that separation of experience (the language barrier) by translating the production into a language that their target audience is more familiar with. Granted, some dubs do this more effectively than others, but it doesn't really serve to help emulate the experience in another language if you...well...keep something in the original language. Even songs. It's distracting, seems out of place, and takes you out of the experience of a show, forcing you right back into the task of reading it. If I wanted to read the show, I would be watching the original Japanese audio track with the subtitles turned on, not the dub.

I don't have a problem with subtitled releases. I'm just saying that the subtitled version and dubbed version should be two completely separate entities. The two should not cross over. If the point of a dub is to faithfully emulate the original Japanese production in another language so that the audience can experience the show rather than read it, then dubbing companies are not really doing that if they only dub the dialogue and keep the songs in Japanese. For that reason, my biggest disappointment with the Kai dub was and continues to be that they stopped dubbing the insert songs.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 pm

In my opinion, if the theme songs in a show are actually made for the show (like the songs in Kai or most older shows), English versions should be made. Shows with random rock/pop songs that change every 15 episodes (like in most newer shows), however, should just be left in Japanese.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:53 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Oh, I disagree wholeheartedly.

The vast majority of people who want the vocal songs to remain in their original Japanese language--in dubs, I mean--are subbies. Yes, that's a generalization, and there are exceptions. I, however, am very firmly of the belief that if you're going to dub something, you have to dub everything. Otherwise it's very distracting. I mean, the point of a dub is to both faithfully and eloquently simulate the original Japanese production in another language, so that one doesn't have to read a TV show. The Japanese audience doesn't have to read subtitles for when they watch Japanese movies or TV shows, because they speak Japanese. They can just sit back and experience the show rather than read it. Dubs eliminate that separation of experience (the language barrier) by translating the production into a language that their target audience is more familiar with. Granted, some dubs do this more effectively than others, but it doesn't really serve to help emulate the experience in another language if you...well...keep something in the original language. Even songs. It's distracting, seems out of place, and takes you out of the experience of a show, forcing you right back into the task of reading it. If I wanted to read the show, I would be watching the original Japanese audio track with the subtitles turned on, not the dub.

I don't have a problem with subtitled releases. I'm just saying that the subtitled version and dubbed version should be two completely separate entities. The two should not cross over. If the point of a dub is to faithfully emulate the original Japanese production in another language so that the audience can experience the show rather than read it, then dubbing companies are not really doing that if they only dub the dialogue and keep the songs in Japanese. For that reason, my biggest disappointment with the Kai dub was and continues to be that they stopped dubbing the insert songs.

Yes, thank you. A million times thank you kind sir. I have been searching for the right words to describe how I feel about subs and dubs and how subbies, as you call them, are always telling me how much I'm missing out on by being a dubbie. I don't care though because I'd rather watch a show than read it while trying to stay engaged with the on-screen action at the same time. You nailed every thought I had, but couldn't convey, with elegance and grace.

In other words, I agree. :lol:
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:41 pm

Is Linda Young any good of a singer?

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:12 am

ringworm128 wrote:Is Linda Young any good of a singer?
Pretty sure she sung an opening or ending before...maybe Yu Yu Hakusho? I can't remember.

...I wonder if they tried getting the guy who sung the English version of Mystical Adventure. That'd be cool if he sung it.
Last edited by ConfusedPhantom on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:26 am

ConfusedPhantom wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Is Linda Young any good of a singer?
Pretty she sung an opening or ending before...maybe Yu Yu Hakusho? I can't remember.

...I wonder if they tried getting the guy who sung the English version of Mystical Adventure. That'd be cool if he sung it.
Yeah, I always like Jimi Tunnel's version. Personally I wanna see Sabat try it since he's got an Opera background so technically he's a professional singer. Even if he's voice is deep.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I think they should get REAL AMURRRICAN ROCK BAAANDS LIKE...DISTURBED AND DROWNING POOL AND PANTERA. BUY THE BROLY MOVIE.