Nicktoons to start showing Dragon Ball Z Movies September 7!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Nicktoons to start showing Dragon Ball Z Movies Septembe

Post by funrush » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:The schedule for the Dragon Ball Z movies:

(All air at 8pm ET with same-night encores at 11pm and 2am ET)

Wed Sept 7 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan
Thu Sept 8 - Fusion Reborn
Wed Sept 14 - Super Android 13
Thu Sept 15 - Bojack Unbound
Wed Sept 21 - Broly: Second Coming
Thu Sept 22 - Wrath of the Dragon
Wed Sept 28 - Cooler's Revenge
Thu Sept 29 - Return of Cooler
Is that real or is it just a prediction?

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:20 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
metamoss wrote:I'm pretty sure this will be the first time Movie 8 will be shown on American TV. Toonami never aired it my memory serves.
Nope, they did, back in 2004. Toonami's aired all of the Z movies.
Actually no. Toonami only aired movies 1-6, 12, and 13. They never once aired 7-11.

For all I know CN could have aired them off of Toonami. According to tv.com they aired Dragon Ball movies 3 and 4, and they didn't air on the Toonami block.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm 99% sure they aired Movie 8, I watched it on there myself out of curiosity of the edits. They also showed Movie 4 on one of the first Saturday block Toonamis (I remember clearly because it was the first time I had seen Movie 4).
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 pm

funrush wrote:Is that real or is it just a prediction?
Real...I know I'm confused too.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Do you guys think 'Nicktoon's' are gonna do their own edits for these movies or will they be using the pre-existing edits from 5 years ago. If that's the case it looks like the only movie 'Nicktoons' will have to edit for themselves is 'Broly: Second Coming' since there's no pre-existing edited version of that film.
Scarz wrote:
Kendamu wrote:That's an interesting way of going about it, but whatever. It'll still be interesting to see what kids think of this.
I'm already getting calls from my younger cousins asking me a butt load of questions about the movies. They seem to be pretty excited.
That's awesome! I'm sure these movies are gonna bring in some decent ratings but do you think you're going have explain the 'Buu arc' movies (I just realized they're not showing 'Bio Broly') or Gohan and Bulma's different voices?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:37 pm

One thing I don"t get is why use the crappy old DVD single footage with the rock music? Wouldn't it be a great opportunity to show of the DBOX footage that Funimation said that they have? Or at least the Double Feature footage?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:59 pm

ringworm128 wrote:One thing I don"t get is why use the crappy old DVD single footage with the rock music? Wouldn't it be a great opportunity to show of the DBOX footage that Funimation said that they have? Or at least the Double Feature footage?
It's probably cheaper for 'Nicktoons' to broadcast the older masters.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 am

wjbraden wrote:I seriously hope this growing relationship between Funimation and Nicktoons improves One Piece's chance of getting on the air.
THIS.

Seriously, I'm surprised nobody else has commented on what this means in a larger sense. Even though FUNimation probably won't re-dub the movies (although though their script for Movie 8 was very good) and use the old music, this news is VERY good news for the anime industry in general. There's little to no anime on TV nowadays, which is part of the reason for the industry's decline. An anime's popularity is hugely influenced by both the availability and popularity of its dub, and the fact that they are making DBZ's dub more readily available is a great sign. I guarantee you Nicktoons would not want anything to do with the DBZ movies if Kai was getting poor ratings. This means that Nicktoons is very happy with Kai and wants to keep bringing in the ratings as long as possible, hence their inclusion of the movies. With any luck, this will allow FUNimation to get even more anime on TV, like "One Piece."
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:46 pm

I hope that you're right, TheBlackPaladin, anime on TV has been dead for a while now, except for the airings of Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, and Funimation's channel. I hope that this signifies some sort of revival. Also, One Piece would be a logical next choice in terms of anime to air on Nicktoons. It has a ton of episodes which is good if it gets good ratings, and chances are it will do pretty good. I'm pretty sure it got great ratings back when it was on CN before it was pulled off. And then there's the fact that over the past few years, One Piece has pulled in a huge fanbase in America.

On topic: Yeah, the fact that they're trying to push the Bojack movie does kind of make me mad. I wouldn't really want the end of the Cell arc spoiled for me, yet they're going to do it to these little kids.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:57 pm

I know Funimation One Piece didn't pull in the ratings for Cartoon Network like they wanted, but come on! It had no ZERO advertising, there were no repeats and many casual fans were put off by the new Funimation voice cast. If the series aired on Nicktoons, they would likely advertise the crap out of it like DBZ Kai, would have gratuitous re-airings and give the series a fresh start. All that has to be done is some censoring for the first two seasons and the show would be ready to air in late-2011, early 2012 if they started right now.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:11 pm

wjbraden wrote:I know Funimation One Piece didn't pull in the ratings for Cartoon Network like they wanted, but come on! It had no ZERO advertising, there were no repeats and many casual fans were put off by the new Funimation voice cast. If the series aired on Nicktoons, they would likely advertise the crap out of it like DBZ Kai, would have gratuitous re-airings and give the series a fresh start. All that has to be done is some censoring for the first two seasons and the show would be ready to air in late-2011, early 2012 if they started right now.
It's not that they weren't pulling in ratings, it was more like,
Cartoon Network wrote:Why aren't you getting Naruto ratings? You're cancelled!
Even with the 4Kids dub it was still pulling in decent ratings, and CN thought with the better dub it would instantly become more popular, without as much as chance to build a bigger audience. And liked you mention no advertising.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:19 pm

... and then CN canceled Naruto, and didn't pick up Shippuden. <_>

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:34 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:... and then CN canceled Naruto, and didn't pick up Shippuden. <_>
Probably cause they got into the tons of filler right before Shippuden and that CN is really striving away from anime that isn't toy-centric.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
KiddoCabbusses wrote:... and then CN canceled Naruto, and didn't pick up Shippuden. <_>
Probably cause they got into the tons of filler right before Shippuden and that CN is really striving away from anime that isn't toy-centric.
So...I'm not saying I share this opinion but, as a voice actor myself, I have a tiny bit of inside knowledge here. I was working with a producer recently (who will remain nameless for obvious reasons), and they were telling me a bit about how different TV networks treat their animation. To quote this particular producer, "For Nickelodeon and Disney, quality is still something that they consider for their shows. Cartoon Network is all about profit, especially nowadays. They're not concerned with quality, they're concerned with efficiency and marketability."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Do you guys think 'Nicktoon's' are gonna do their own edits for these movies or will they be using the pre-existing edits from 5 years ago. If that's the case it looks like the only movie 'Nicktoons' will have to edit for themselves is 'Broly: Second Coming' since there's no pre-existing edited version of that film.
Scarz wrote:
Kendamu wrote:That's an interesting way of going about it, but whatever. It'll still be interesting to see what kids think of this.
I'm already getting calls from my younger cousins asking me a butt load of questions about the movies. They seem to be pretty excited.
That's awesome! I'm sure these movies are gonna bring in some decent ratings but do you think you're going have explain the 'Buu arc' movies (I just realized they're not showing 'Bio Broly') or Gohan and Bulma's different voices?
Not to mention Goten and kid Trunks :/.

As for bigger picture stuff, yeah, I actually really hope this gradual re-introduction of Z back into cable brings back a resurgence of anime in the states. One cannot live on adult swim programming alone! Though off the top of my head, I can't really think of that many new anime titles I'd like to see aired that could be commercially successful.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:12 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: As for bigger picture stuff, yeah, I actually really hope this gradual re-introduction of Z back into cable brings back a resurgence of anime in the states. One cannot live on adult swim programming alone! Though off the top of my head, I can't really think of that many new anime titles I'd like to see aired that could be commercially successful.
Now that I think about it, One Piece is the only one out of the big five (Bleach, Naruto, FMA, DragonBall, One Piece) that hasn't had a proper (consistent) airing. Have Death Note or Bakuman been on TV yet?

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:28 pm

funrush wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote: As for bigger picture stuff, yeah, I actually really hope this gradual re-introduction of Z back into cable brings back a resurgence of anime in the states. One cannot live on adult swim programming alone! Though off the top of my head, I can't really think of that many new anime titles I'd like to see aired that could be commercially successful.
Now that I think about it, One Piece is the only one out of the big five (Bleach, Naruto, FMA, DragonBall, One Piece) that hasn't had a proper (consistent) airing. Have Death Note or Bakuman been on TV yet?
Death Note was aired on TV here in the U.S. on CN's Adult Swim block. As for Bakuman, there has been no airings on TV so far.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 pm

One Piece ranges from decent to merely passable, I'd rather them air Yu Yu Hakusho instead, or air both. There are already edited versions of every episode ready to go, and I feel like Yu Yu Hakusho didn't get it's proper chance to shine... It's quite possibly the coolest kid's cartoon ever! :D
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Kuwabara wrote:One Piece ranges from decent to merely passable, I'd rather them air Yu Yu Hakusho instead, or air both. There are already edited versions of every episode ready to go, and I feel like Yu Yu Hakusho didn't get it's proper chance to shine... It's quite possibly the coolest kid's cartoon ever! :D
Even though edited episodes of YYH exist, I highly doubt Nicktoons would air it. I mean CN was able to show YYH but the standards then were different than now, plus it has to go through what Nicktoons thinks is alright to show on their network. If anything, more has to be edited in YYH to be viewable in Nicktoon's rotation.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:54 pm

.:PoetikaL:. wrote:Even though edited episodes of YYH exist, I highly doubt Nicktoons would air it. I mean CN was able to show YYH but the standards then were different than now, plus it has to go through what Nicktoons thinks is alright to show on their network. If anything, more has to be edited in YYH to be viewable in Nicktoon's rotation.
Yeah, as much as I'd want YYH back on the air, some of the topics it covers can be really... well, not Nick-ready. I mean, sure, you can argue that Avatar covered some quasi controversial stuff, but nowhere near on the same level as YYH.

... Anyways, yeah, how 'bout them DBZ movies?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams