Nicktoons to start showing Dragon Ball Z Movies September 7!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Nicktoons to start showing Dragon Ball Z Movies Septembe

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:55 pm

They've edited/are nearly finished editing 98 episodes, editing down 112 more episodes (Yu Yu Hakusho) is probably more attractive than tirelessly editing a colossal 500+ episode series (One Piece). That's one reason why I think One Piece will never air on Nicktoons, I barely understand how One Piece can even function as a single work any more, there's SO MUCH that needs to be watched if you're going into the series blind... That aside though, they would have to work on making One Piece more palatable for the Nicktoons audience on a constant basis if they wanted to keep a consistent stream of episodes, and if they didn't stay on top of editing, there would be huge gaps in between season airings or numerous re-runs. Airing One Piece seems like too much work. :?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Kuwabara wrote:They've edited/are nearly finished editing 98 episodes, editing down 112 more episodes (Yu Yu Hakusho) is probably more attractive than tirelessly editing a colossal 500+ episode series (One Piece). That's one reason why I think One Piece will never air on Nicktoons, I barely even understand how One Piece can even function as a single work any more, there's SO MUCH that needs to be watched if you're going into the series blind... That aside though, they would have to work on making One Piece more palatable for the Nicktoons audience on a constant basis if they wanted to keep a consistent stream of episodes, and if they didn't stay on top of editing, there would be huge gaps in between season airings or numerous re-runs. Airing One Piece seems like too much work. :?
Why would FUNi try to get Nicktoons to air Yu Yu again? Yu Yu is done and over with aside from re-releases the original series. Besides it's already aired on Cartoon Network in it's entirety.

OP has a much bigger potential since it's a currently running series and has so many opportunities for other types of new merchandising. And it's not like FUNi is even that far in OP, they've only gotten to episode 205, and some episodes already are edited by them.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:01 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Why would FUNi try to get Nicktoons to air Yu Yu again? Yu Yu is done and over with aside from re-releases the original series. Besides it's already aired on Cartoon Network in it's entirety.
Can you call airing the last arc of episodes at 5AM really being over with?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:10 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Can you call airing the last arc of episodes at 5AM really being over with?
Well, when I mentioned CN I was talking that they did at least air all of it. As for it being over, I meant it's made as much money with them pushing it as a new product. Besides, I don't think it's worth it just to air the last couple of episodes when kids are actually awake.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Yu Yu Hakusho hardly got a fair shot, most people I ask don't even remember it. Everyone remembers the Dragon Ball trilogy though. So it may as well be considered, "pushing a new product." How could it hurt? Most of the work is already done for them. So, tell me how Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't have just as many "merchandising opportunities" as One Piece? Actually, scratch that, what are you even talking about? What merchandising opportunities would either series have? I might be wrong, but Nicktoons hasn't even taken advantage of Kai's good ratings as far as merchandising goes. I haven't seen any Dragon Ball Z Kai toys or lunch boxes yet and don't really expect to.

What makes you think One Piece has any precedence over Yu Yu Hakusho? Yu Yu Hakusho is a popular series pretty much everywhere else in the world, but isn't even a blip on most anime fans' radar in the States. It's unfair that both series aren't as popular as they should be in the States, but it's especially disheartening for Yu Yu Hakusho because it's considered a classic series practically everywhere but in the USA. It isn't finished besides re-releases either, they've just dubbed the first movie and the OVAs.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Yu Yu Hakusho hardly got a fair shot, most people I ask don't even remember it. Everyone remembers the Dragon Ball trilogy though. So it may as well be considered, "pushing a new product." How could it hurt? Most of the work is already done for them. So, tell me how Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't have just as many "merchandising opportunities" as One Piece? Actually, scratch that, what are you even talking about? What merchandising opportunities would either series have? I might be wrong, but Nicktoons hasn't even taken advantage of Kai's good ratings as far as merchandising goes. I haven't seen any Dragon Ball Z Kai toys or lunch boxes yet and don't really expect to.

What makes you think One Piece has any precedence over Yu Yu Hakusho? Yu Yu Hakusho is a popular series pretty much everywhere else in the world, but isn't even a blip on most anime fans' radar in the States. It's unfair that both series aren't as popular as they should be in the States, but it's especially disheartening for Yu Yu Hakusho because it's considered a classic series practically everywhere but in the USA. It isn't finished besides re-releases either, they've just dubbed the first movie and the OVAs.
Yu Yu Hakusho was big here in the U.S. back in 2002, and was huge with merchandising at the time; especially when it hit Toonami from Adult Swim. It was insanely popular then, and has waned over the years with newer shows coming into the mix, before the downfall of anime shown on TV. One Piece (even though I'm not a fan because I haven't watched an episode yet) is popular because it's still continuing with the anime here and in Japan with simulcasts running, and the manga selling like hot cakes. YYH is a classic, and it will still have a dedicated fan base as long as there are people who still talk about it and by the products in any form.

As for Kai, the DVD's and Blu-Rays are more than enough here, I think, because people will want to buy them more than the toys; they can re-watch the show and recommend it to others who haven't seen it or are confused with which series of Dragon Ball to buy as a whole. I think with the toys, more and more people are importing them from Japan or buying them from sellers who got them from Japan because they're big over there, and for the most part well crafted; thus not a lot of toy production here. (I'm probably really wrong with this, but I'm just thinking and writing it down.)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:07 pm

The only thing about Yu Yu Hakusho is the "old style" animation it has. All newer animes have been animated digitally and have a "cleaner" look to them (though I think that older is better in most cases). I'm not knocking the show and I would love to see it back on TV, I think One Piece has more of a shot because of its "new" look.

I digress though that the thread is getting slightly off-topic, and I can't wait to see some old-fashioned DBZ on TV.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Yu Yu Hakusho hardly got a fair shot, most people I ask don't even remember it. Everyone remembers the Dragon Ball trilogy though. So it may as well be considered, "pushing a new product." How could it hurt? Most of the work is already done for them. So, tell me how Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't have just as many "merchandising opportunities" as One Piece? Actually, scratch that, what are you even talking about? What merchandising opportunities would either series have? I might be wrong, but Nicktoons hasn't even taken advantage of Kai's good ratings as far as merchandising goes. I haven't seen any Dragon Ball Z Kai toys or lunch boxes yet and don't really expect to.

It takes a precedence because it's the big popular series that's currently running in Japan and FUNi is trying to make it as popular here. OP has tons of movies, specials, etc to do. Various opportunities for toys and other merchandise a la DBZ. Why FUNi hasn't made any deals with other companies for Kai merchandise, I don't know. Maybe cause they've already done that with Z, they don't need to, or maybe cause it's technically not a new series?

Yu Yu is done, the anime ended in Japan in 1995 and in the US in 2006, and unlike DBZ it doesn't have some new rehash of it. Why should FUNi and Nick invest in a re-run when they can try one of the most popular series currently running in Japan?

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Well, we could always expand the subject to the state of anime on TV in general :P.

While I can't exactly say it's as exposed as the Dragon Ball franchise, I can say that Yu Yu Hakusho's got an oddly large following than you'd expect in the states. One of my lady friends that doesn't watch any anime surprised me when she freaked the hell out saying she was a big fan of YYH when I was watching some random episodes on campus. Watched every episode uncut :shock:.

And Funimation definitely knows that they've got quite the series on their hands, what with their current interest in releasing the Japanese Blu-Rays state-side and dubbing the movies and OVAs.

But as much as I like the series and want it to get more attention on TV, I feel like Funi's moved away from things like that, toys, shirts and the like, unlike ten years ago. They know that they're the head honcho when it comes to releasing anime here, and they're focusing on just that. Even their announcement of the series on Blu Ray talks about no longer having to change names due to no longer wishing to crank out things like toys and instead focusing on getting a quality product out.

Still, one can hope for the series getting on TV again somehow (or NeoToonami).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:08 pm

That's probably why the industry is in such a bad shape. In Japan, especially long running action shonen titles, the animation is nothing more than a glorified commercial. If people want the series they get the manga, here in US, not so much. The majority of series survive on merchandise sales alone.

But I can agree we've definitely gone WAY off topic. But I guess that can happen when something like this happens.

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonpiece » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm a bit late on posting about this, but fantastic news! Can't wait to finally watch these movies! I am actually a bit shocked I haven't watched any of them yet..
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 pm

According to the sneak peek AniNation uploaded so far just a blood edit but the fighting and choke-hold seem to be kept.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:According to the sneak peek AniNation uploaded so far just a blood edit but the fighting and choke-hold seem to be kept.
And also according to that clip it is confirmed that is is the old dub with the dub music.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Did Nicktoons...troll us?
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:Did Nicktoons...troll us?
I think so.
Last edited by DB_Fan1991 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

IDK My friend told me it's another Kai episode. That's weird...

AnimeFan8719

Post by AnimeFan8719 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Where is the movie?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Vegeta1056 wrote:
IDK My friend told me it's another Kai episode. That's weird...
Yeah, maybe it's at 8:30 now.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 pm

What is going on? :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ani-Nation7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ani-Nation7 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Nicktoons trolled us :<
I'll keep the tv on maybe it's a mistake.