How Do You Feel About FUNi's Release Schedule? (Sept - Dec)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

How Do You Feel About FUNi's Release Schedule? (Sept - Dec)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm

Maybe it's just me but, I feel like FUNimation is pushing way more DBZ stuff (Edit: I should say DB related releases and not just DBZ) right now than any other time. What I mean is, there is about 3 months left in the year and in that short time FUNimation is putting out...

Dragon Ball Z movies 1 - 9 on two DVD box sets through two separate releases.
Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1 - 34 on two Blu-ray box sets through two separate releases.
Dragon Ball Z Kai episodes 1 - 26 on DVD and Blu-ray.
Dragon Ball Z episodes 251 - 291 (Dragon Box 7) on DVD.

And for good measure I should also mention the newly released Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 6 on DVD and Blu-ray!

I noticed in August there was an empty spot in December that they could potentially fit something in. I figured they wouldn't put something DBZ related there since it was already so much stuff. But then, they went ahead and scheduled DBZ Movie Collection 2 on that open spot.

Now, me personally I don't mind this. I'm actually probably gonna buy 90% of this stuff. I was waiting for a bigger bulk release of DBZK episodes on Blu-ray. I have the "Parts" on DVD but will now collect the "seasons" on Blu-ray. I'm defiantly picking up the last Dragon Box. And I've been excited for DBZ on Blu-ray for a while now and from what I've seen so far, I'm gonna be picking this up as well. The movies on the other hand... I'm not sure, I doubt it but, I never know. I sold all my DBZ movies like a jerk a few months after hearing FUNimation had the Dragon Box versions. I still have the first three from two different DVD lines though.

So, I'm just curious. Does anyone else have a problem with this much stuff being released? Is anyone scared of the FUNimation flooding the market? Do you think this is a wise move on FUNi's part?! :shock:
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: How Do You Feel About FUNi's Release Schedule? (Sept - D

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Well about half of those things(DBZ Movies, Kai Season Sets) are re-releases. Hell all the others are glorified re-releases as well, so I don't really find them overwhelming. And it's not even like their releasing them all in the same month.

They're probably going a bit more overboard than usual, but that's not gonna stop them from selling like hot cakes.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Psssh I WISH the would release each of those once a month, I hate waiting 3 and 4 months between releases.

Also the DBZ Blurays arent a rerelease. Its the first time the show has been on Bluray in its entirety. Kai Bluray is NOT the same thing.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:38 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Psssh I WISH the would release each of those once a month, I hate waiting 3 and 4 months between releases.

Also the DBZ Blurays arent a rerelease. Its the first time the show has been on Bluray in its entirety. Kai Bluray is NOT the same thing.
No it's not the same thing, you're right. I'm not saying the DBZ and DBZK Blu-rays are the same thing. But I feel it's DBZ related. Or if you wanna say FUNimation is releasing a lot of DB related stuff (as a series in general). That works too.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Kai has no filler, theres different music, theres a different dub, theres like 5 to 7 sagas not even covered in Kai, and isnt it a different process for Kai and Z bluray? ...like dont they look different side by side?

point being if you watch Kai ONLY....you just missed half the anime.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:03 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Kai has no filler, theres different music, theres a different dub, theres like 5 to 7 sagas not even covered in Kai, and isnt it a different process for Kai and Z bluray? ...like dont they look different side by side?

point being if you watch Kai ONLY....you just missed half the anime.
Well, that's all fine and good but, I'm talking about DB related releases in general, so everything is included.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I only want the Dragon Boxes.

As long as Funi releases those as planned, they can do whatever the hell they want with the franchise. Release a download-only "Dragonball without Goku" edition, where all scenes with Goku have him digitally painted over with no voiced lines. Make a box set that counts the series backwards rather than forwards. Recut all existing scenes into new dub-only arcs. I DON'T CARE. If I get Dragon Box seven, I'll be happy. If I get Dragon Box the movies, I'll be elated. If I get original Dragonball in Dragon Box format, I'll be ecstatic, and GT would be icing on a rather nice cake. Because Dragon Boxes are my end-all release, I can't really bring myself to care about anything else as long as it does not interfere with the things I want. It doesn't seem to be doing this, so I'm happy.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Maybe it is to get people more excited so to speak, since the Bluray for Z has like 17 episodes, if they shoot 2 in back to back months, it may seem like they will get through the series faster. I would defintely buy one "level" a month til it reach the end of Z.

Two questions....Do you think DB and GT will get Bluray as well? and how will they handle the one GT movie and thetv specials?

They should spring the Jump movie on us and Japan should get on the Epïsode of Bardock in anime form.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 pm

FUNi is able to put Z on Blu-Ray because they have 16mm film masters of that series. I'm pretty sure for the green GT bricks FUNi either had tapes or digital masters, so a BD release for GT is fairly unlikely. Not sure about what kind of source they have for the original series, though.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I feel fine with it.
I don't care much about the movies, and even so, as of yet these movie packs are DVD only and I'd rather get them on Blu-Ray.
I am pretty excited about the Blu-Rays coming, they look phenomenal. I already put Level 1.1 on my Christmas list.
I don't like Kai, and even so the season sets are just rereleases with horrible music placement.
I still need boxes 5-7, so, yeah.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

The fall season always sees a tonne of Dragon Ball stuff on shelves. I remember 2009 with the horrors of Raging Blast, Blue Bricks, Attack of the Saiyans, something else (double features?), and Revenge of King Piccolo all coming out within weeks of each others.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Levlik wrote:Not sure about what kind of source they have for the original series, though.
From just looking at them, they look like tapes. There's tons of color bleeding and over-saturation, even on the season sets. Maybe about half of the episodes on the first set if I recall look like they are from film, but after that they look like they come from tapes.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Maybe they would get a new film master for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT? (I hope.)

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Out of that list of DB releases, all I want is Dragon Box 7 and DBZ Kai Season 1.

Don't want the DBZ Movie packs, still holding out hope for Dragon Box DA MOOVIES.

Don't give a rat's ass about DBZ Blu-Ray. I have the Dragon Boxes, and I do NOT feel like collecting all 291 episodes a 3rd time. (I collected the Season Sets... but sold them all off for Dragon Boxes)
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:33 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Out of that list of DB releases, all I want is Dragon Box 7 and DBZ Kai Season 1.

Don't want the DBZ Movie packs, still holding out hope for Dragon Box DA MOOVIES.

Don't give a rat's ass about DBZ Blu-Ray. I have the Dragon Boxes, and I do NOT feel like collecting all 291 episodes a 3rd time. (I collected the Season Sets... but sold them all off for Dragon Boxes)
Same I don't care for DBZ Movie Packs got most of the Steel Books [Just need Specials and Dead Zone Double] and they good enough for me also I like the packaging better. I may get DBZ Blu-Ray only if it turns out good got DBOX 1-6 will get seven next month.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

It's normal for the last few months of the years to be packed due to holiday shopping.

If you release in the last few months, your product has a better chance of being on the shelves during that period.

It's why I've gotten a few of games this year (2... maybe 3 I think?) but have a half dozen or more preordered that all come out in October and November.

Funi does many low priced re-releases and new product launches during this period because they can sell big amounts.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:26 pm

MarcFBR wrote:It's normal for the last few months of the years to be packed due to holiday shopping.

If you release in the last few months, your product has a better chance of being on the shelves during that period.

It's why I've gotten a few of games this year (2... maybe 3 I think?) but have a half dozen or more preordered that all come out in October and November.

Funi does many low priced re-releases and new product launches during this period because they can sell big amounts.
That makes a lot of sense. Never thought of that.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:That makes a lot of sense. Never thought of that.
You can imagine the kind of cashflow a 30 dollar 5 movie set can create, especially when at retail those sets will go for under 20.

Many big studios do the same with Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, using preexisting UPC codes (basically printing new copies of an already designed product) where you can walk in around the holiday season and get all the Spider-Man, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, X-Men, etc. movies on DVD for 10 dollars with a cheap slipcase, or older fancy boxsets for between 8 to 15 (I once found the old fancy Godfather box for 8 dollars.)

That's how Warner created their '4 film favorites' line. They print a ton of them every September/October, sell them like nuts around Christmas as stocking stuffers. Then stores keep the leftover stock as cheap stock that'll get you over to the DVD section to maybe buy more.

The 4 film favorites line costs Warner almost nothing to produce. They take 2 double sided DVDs, each side gets disk 1 of a preexisting set, and they toss it in a 2 disk case, and bam, set the retail price for the set for 15 or 20 bucks, and stores sell it for 15 or less. You can walk into any Best Buy right now and get the first four Superman films, Batman films, TMNT films, the Matrix films (among many others) in a cheap set for just a few bucks (most of the sets go for under 10 bucks in fact.)

Since anime often gets limited shelf space, and many retailers won't stock older anime stuff (unless they are clearing out a warehouse, or it's a product that just endlessly sells, like the orange bricks) Funi does it slightly differently. Sticking stuff in a slightly different formation with new coverart and a new UPC convinces stores to buy it again, especially prior to the shopping season (and often they don't even need to use a new formation.)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:19 pm

On the subject of cheaply put out double features meant to be given as a small gift:

NEVER FORGET

Though sure, the films Marc were mentioning were hits (TMNT III, Superman IV, and TMNT excluded) but like that matters. :wink:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Turtles 3 actually did ok, but not as much money as the previous two, (though some people debate over which is better between in and TMNT 2, but that's another story).

Though on-topic as I have most of those mentioned already I kinda look more at or want to hear of Funimation's other upcoming releases like that Fairy Tail show I keep hearing about or hoping to get more One Piece.