DBZ: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussion)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZ: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussion)

Post by mystic trunks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:23 pm

They need to just go ahead and make a new series with the kind of animation already.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:34 pm

*Train of thought edited out by me due to being the part that still got replied to, despite not being the part i wanted to focus on. (It was intended to be taken a fuel for any flamewar, but if that's how it was recieved i rather not have it there)*

I apologize for this little tangent i went on (for more than i probably should have lol). But getting back to what actually matters to the game, i'm just more worried about the "rock paper scissors" mechanics that seems to take up too much of the gameplay and the fact that EVERY character seems to have the SAME actions in-game, except for the super moves. I looks nice, but it seems to stop a lot for no real reason except to gamble the next move and when they do move, they all seem to do the same.
Is anyone else worried about that, or know why that is? Hell, do we even have signiture skills at all in this?
Last edited by Rukura on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Wait, our we counting Vegetto and Gogeta as separate character slots? I don't own the RB games and I don't remember what they did but in BT3, the fusions where under Goku's and Vegeta's character slots. Couldn't they do the same thing again this time too? That's 2, well 3 if you also consider Gotenks, open character slots. Just saying.

As for this system wars fight, enough is enough. seriously. It's a smarter move to have the game on both systems and no the 360 isn't holding back the quality of this game because it still uses DVDs. Many, more powerful games I might add, have been able to fit on one 360 disc no problem. This game should be no different. If there are any less characters in this game it's because Spike chose to kick them out not because the couldn't fit.

Also, the 360 is ahead of the PS3 worldwide but it's not a huge gap. In Japan however the gap between PS3s and 360s is huge with PS3 way in the lead. That doesn't matter though, most games go multiplat either way. This game definitely will stay multiplat no matter what just to get the extra sales in.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm

I never really understood why people have such a need for a "bigger than ever" roster. You get to find maybe 3 or 4 characters you'll be interested in and master at most in a fighting game. There might even be some characters you'll never even try due to the fact that there's more than enough to keep you busy in other modes with other characters. Besides, with the CaC mode, you can actually make your own character that perfectly fits your tastes (well, as long as your perfect character is a Saiyan, I'll admit it). Possibly recreate look-alikes of those who are missing.

Anyway, I guess everyone has their own preferences. But I don't understand how creating a Saiyan and living a whole new story with him as well as re-living the original story (meaning the one that's actually part of the author's manga) with more-beautiful-than-ever reanimated scenes (which is a dream come true in itself) isn't enough to buy the game without hesitation. Feels like several games on one disc to me.

Is GT so important? Is it more important than possessing an dreamy new adaptation of the manga AND living our own story in the world of DB for the first time for most of us?
I can understand the disappointment you feel, but I don't understand a reaction like "if this character from this side story is missing, I won't buy that game despite any other good thing it brings". Sounds a bit exaggerated to me.

I find it already strangely kind on their part to have included two characters of GT in a game called Z (which they already did several times in the past). Just to please the GT fans, they made one exception to the territory they chose to explore to include the two most powerful characters of that add-on.

So in the end, I understand that you might be disappointed because some things are missing, but are those really a good excuse to pass on all other things we wanted that are not missing and that actually bring us things we've never experienced before, even on lower-graphics systems?

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Cold Skin wrote:I never really understood why people have such a need for a "bigger than ever" roster. You get to find maybe 3 or 4 characters you'll be interested in and master at most in a fighting game. There might even be some characters you'll never even try due to the fact that there's more than enough to keep you busy in other modes with other characters. Besides, with the CaC mode, you can actually make your own character that perfectly fits your tastes (well, as long as your perfect character is a Saiyan, I'll admit it). Possibly recreate look-alikes of those who are missing.

Anyway, I guess everyone has their own preferences. But I don't understand how creating a Saiyan and living a whole new story with him as well as re-living the original story (meaning the one that's actually part of the author's manga) with more-beautiful-than-ever reanimated scenes (which is a dream come true in itself) isn't enough to buy the game without hesitation. Feels like several games on one disc to me.

Is GT so important? Is it more important than possessing an dreamy new adaptation of the manga AND living our own story in the world of DB for the first time for most of us?
I can understand the disappointment you feel, but I don't understand a reaction like "if this character from this side story is missing, I won't buy that game despite any other good thing it brings". Sounds a bit exaggerated to me.

I find it already strangely kind on their part to have included two characters of GT in a game called Z (which they already did several times in the past). Just to please the GT fans, they made one exception to the territory they chose to explore to include the two most powerful characters of that add-on.

So in the end, I understand that you might be disappointed because some things are missing, but are those really a good excuse to pass on all other things we wanted that are not missing and that actually bring us things we've never experienced before, even on lower-graphics systems?
The game is only called "Z" outside of Japan. And even most of the ones on the previous gen that were "Z" had DB, Z, GT and the Z movies together...so is it really that weird?
Personally, like there are games that fully explore Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, i would've liked a game that focuses a little on GT. Because it at least has some interesting designs and characters that could be explored and maybe even get a better story going with them.

I mean, come on, the only GT game we've had is Transformations :lol:
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Rukura wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:I never really understood why people have such a need for a "bigger than ever" roster. You get to find maybe 3 or 4 characters you'll be interested in and master at most in a fighting game. There might even be some characters you'll never even try due to the fact that there's more than enough to keep you busy in other modes with other characters. Besides, with the CaC mode, you can actually make your own character that perfectly fits your tastes (well, as long as your perfect character is a Saiyan, I'll admit it). Possibly recreate look-alikes of those who are missing.

The game is only called "Z" outside of Japan. And even most of the ones on the previous gen that were "Z" had DB, Z, GT and the Z movies together...so is it really that weird?
Personally, like there are games that fully explore Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, i would've liked a game that focuses a little on GT. Because it at least has some interesting designs and characters that could be explored and maybe even get a better story going with them.

I mean, come on, the only GT game we've had is Transformations :lol:
I would choose to treat GT as a whole as well, not try to fit it in with other series, cause trying to do so just makes that GT is left mostly unexplored and feels like some kind of bonus.

I think Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z/Kai and Dragon Ball GT should all have video games focusing on them only. There's enough background in each of the series to make a complete game in itself. But they shouldn't try to mix them cause they still have a different feel and don't mix well in a game. The presence of Dragon Ball and GT in Budokai 3 was nice, but it felt weird somehow, like it just didn't correspond to the game or something.

That's why I think it's a good idea to have only the two most powerful characters as some kind of bonus to have "the ultimate fighters of GT", but that's all, cause without complete context for GT in the game (complete story being told with complete roster of characters), it just feels "out of its place". So it's fine as a bonus, but that's it, and as such, I would even go as far as not showing them in the opening or any animated scene for that matter, and keep it all for a completely different game focusing on this part.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Cold Skin wrote:I would choose to treat GT as a whole as well, not try to fit it in with other series, cause trying to do so just makes that GT is left mostly unexplored and feels like some kind of bonus.

I think Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z/Kai and Dragon Ball GT should all have video games focusing on them only. There's enough background in each of the series to make a complete game in itself. But they shouldn't try to mix them cause they still have a different feel and don't mix well in a game. The presence of Dragon Ball and GT in Budokai 3 was nice, but it felt weird somehow, like it just didn't correspond to the game or something.

That's why I think it's a good idea to have only the two most powerful characters as some kind of bonus to have "the ultimate fighters of GT", but that's all, cause without complete context for GT in the game (complete story being told with complete roster of characters), it just feels "out of its place". So it's fine as a bonus, but that's it, and as such, I would even go as far as not showing them in the opening or any animated scene for that matter, and keep it all for a completely different game focusing on this part.
I can fully agree with how it can be weird to have Yamcha and Yi Xing Long in the same game can be a little weird. And i would love having a great specific game for each series...like other series get nowadays.
But seeing as we've kinda had to come to terms with needing to have everything mixed together to have it at all...the need for SOME completeness arrises lol. And with that in mind, i think having Golden Oozaru Baby Vegeta, SSJ4 Gogeta and Yi Xing Long in the game with little to no context would a lot worse.

Yeah, i can make my own exact replica of SSJ4 Goku to fight Baby.....but who the hell is Baby and where did he come from? We don't know who's gonna be playing it, and if they know.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 pm

It's about time we got another animated intro. Dang, each time I see new animation like that I can't help but feel like DB Kai was meant to be a big middle finger to taunt us with, "This is what we're giving you, this is what you could be getting." One can only pray the day comes that they give us a real new series/movies/remake using such awesome animation.

The sad thing is that the new animation may ultimately be the one and only reason I'll be getting this game. Up to this point the only DB game I ever skipped out on was Burst Limit just because things about it felt like it was a step backwards with nothing new that was good enough to be worth it. A lot of things I see from the game play to the roster also make this game feel like another one that takes a step backwards. A game being even more overloaded with QTEs and cut scenes to hamper game play isn't something I feel I will ever look forward to.

One thing I enjoyed about the previous couple games was that they had at least a couple what-if characters like ssj3 Vegeta, so I had hopes that they might include some new ones like ssj3 Trunks and ssj Bardock (Who by all means should be in, seeing how he isn't really a what-if any more!). It was quite disappointing that they not only skipped out on any new ones but dropped the ones that were already there. I actually kind of liked the fact that there was no GT content in the last couple of games just because GT often feels out of place in games that focus almost solely on DBZ. I'll never forget the huge "WTF?!" I let out the very first time I saw Budokai 3's opening and saw Buu saga Goku suddenly turn into ssj4 Goku (It was even worse that it was actually like that in-game. I can't count the number of times I meant to turn ssj3 but accidentally went ssj4 and so was forced to waste all my ki and let the opponent knock me down in order to change back and try doing it right! :P ). Something about that just felt wrong and totally out of place. But it's even way more crazy to be seeing ssj3 Goku suddenly turn into ssj4 Gogeta. If they just got to include GT, the least they can do is keep it out of animated scenes and keep all the characters completely separate, lest they risk GT doing the very thing it was made to do: cause grief. lol

I find the character creator feature to be slightly interesting, but nothing to be very excited about. It is mostly just "create a male saiya-jin" this time, but it could at least be interesting. I guess it will be something else that will probably be expanded on in future games depending on how well it is received. If it does stick around, then after a dozen or so games it will probably evolve into what you would expect out of a "create a character" mode.

I can only hope that whoever does the next games can give us something new that will truly refresh things like a whole new type of game play that goes beyond strict one-on-one fighting, or an original story for those of us that are a little tired of going through the exact same story for the hundredth time.

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:59 pm

But now that the camera is right
I hope to see all BT 3 characters in ..
I don´t doubt that will end up been true.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 pm

NECPS wrote:But now that the camera is right
I hope to see all BT 3 characters in ..
I don´t doubt that will end up been true.
I doubt it will happen. Pretty much all the characters from RB2 were also in BT3 (except 6; Tarble, Hatchiyack, Dore, Neiz, SS3 Broli, SS3 Vegeta), and we were already told that not all the characters in RB2 would be returning for Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:41 am

I noticed that Vegeta was wearing the Android-arc armour only in this shot. What a slip up.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 am

kei17 wrote:I noticed that Vegeta was wearing the Android-arc armour only in this shot. What a slip up.
No, he wears it at the end with the group shot as well. There are others as too...

Tenshinhan is in his Buu Arc clothes all the way till the group shot, where he's in his Cell Arc clothes.
Goku is in his dogi with a symbol up until getting punched by Hirudegarn, where he switches to the one without a symbol from Cell/Buu.
Kuririn wears his Saiyan/Namek dogi in the whole video until the shot where Freeza, Cell and Buu appear, where he has his undershirt, but then changes back afterward.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:33 am

Has there been any marketing yet? I still have a feeling that this game is going be over shadow by the other major games coming out in the US. I hope the word of mouth will be good since reviews always play a big part of media.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:06 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
kei17 wrote:I noticed that Vegeta was wearing the Android-arc armour only in this shot. What a slip up.
No, he wears it at the end with the group shot as well. There are others as too...
Thanks for pointing that out. But it still feels kind of sloppy to me. It would be natural if he appears in the Android arc outfit first, then it changes to the Buu arc one and that lasts to the end, but randomly swapping his clothes doesn't mean any sense.

Last edited by kei17 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:15 am

kei17 wrote:Thanks for pointing that out. But it still feels kind of sloppy to me.
Oh, I definitely agree. I wish someone would go over these animations with better quality control in mind. The whole thing is less than two minutes, so there shouldn't be any jarring errors like these costume changes. I noticed them the first time through, so how could they have missed them? You'd think someone would notice that they were drawing them in the wrong costumes WHILE they were working on it...

"Hmm, for some reason, I feel like its taking twice as long to draw Vegeta in this scene...holy shit, I gave him his battle jacket! No wonder..."

or

"Well, almost done coloring Vegeta in this scene. Time to switch to white for the arm...or. Wait, what?"

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:14 am

That opening is nothing short of orgasmic. I can't wait to see it in better quality.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:44 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:

Tenshinhan is in his Buu Arc clothes all the way till the group shot, where he's in his Cell Arc clothes.
More precisely it is the outfit he was wearing when Goku became SSJ3 which is different from the last one.
The intro was nice,but i still prefer DB Final bout intro made by Shingo Araki,Shingo for me is just perfect.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:58 am

mystic trunks wrote:They need to just go ahead and make a new series with the kind of animation already.
I agree. This is pretty much what I expected Kai to be. Also, when the DBH kids showed up, my mouth dropped to the floor.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:58 am

Gogeta vs. Gotenks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLdQxrrrvE

Character selection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il41T9L4Tsc

Majin Boo vs. Kid Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alYAlwsNkrc

Edit: 1 more new video

Goku vs. Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGGokVFfvk

Also In some other forums they mention that somebody on facebook said the full content will be revealed on October 7th.
Whatever that may mean. They also mentioned Tag Team.

Edit2: And yet another video

C17 vs. C18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7svyxy5U_tA
Last edited by InfernalVegito on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Titan wrote:More precisely it is the outfit he was wearing when Goku became SSJ3 which is different from the last one.
Kinda, its technically a new outfit since its a mixture of them if you base it off the anime. When he saved Gohan from Buu, the outfit is blue, has a short "skirt" and a white cape. Then, there was the green and brown/orange one with the long "skirt" from the SS3 transformation, and then his Saiyan Arc green pants and no shirt when avoiding Super Buu's genocide attack.

This animation looks to be using the colors from when he saved Gohan on the outfit from the SS3 transformation...