Those moms.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Those moms.

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Interesting occurrence yesterday I thought would be cool to share with you guys.

I live in a small urban town in Indiana, and our nearest mall, shopping centers, retail chains are about thirty miles away. Going into town to go shopping rather than work is a bit of a treat for my mom and I.

Well yesterday, while waiting for my mom to get ready so we can leave to go shopping, I was in my room watching my new Dragon Ball season one set, and my mom came in and says, "I wouldn't mind watching that sometime.". Really? When I was a teenager I would watch DBZ on Toonami with my sister and my mom would occasionally watch, and really seemed into it. With housework, bills, etc, it was never a consistent thing so it didn't happen too often.

Anyway, yesterday she says this to me, and I got to thinking, this is what Dragon Ball Z Kai is perfect for. Kinda of a beginner, slimmer, version of DBZ that I think she can get into with a quicker pacing. While we were out I purchased the new season one set of Kai.

I brought home some KFC, we watched Duel (Steven Spielberg's directing debut starring Dennis Weaver, love that movie), and then I popped in the first disc of Kai. Man, she really seemed to like it. Some of the dialogue made her laugh. Occasionally she'd ask about a character, and asked me about that "flying cloud thing", and I'd give her a quick rundown. She finds Roshi absolutely disgusting, which made me laugh. She seems eager to watch the rest.

Just thought it was kind of cool to share something that I like a lot with family again when I didn't think anyone else had any interest in it.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Those moms.

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:43 pm

You had the original DB and showed her Kai instead? Shameful.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 pm

AgitoZ wrote:You had the original DB and showed her Kai instead? Shameful.
I mean, in all fairness, the original Dragon Ball has a lot of naked Goku in it.

Not to make any unjust assumptions about MoltenMan's mom, but if she's anything like my own, she probably wouldn't be super excited about seeing little cartoon penises.

That may not be his reasoning, but I would be weary about showing my mother Dragon Ball, just because I wouldn't want to have to validate it. But she's super conservative, so, yeah.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm

If she finds Roshi disgusting she may not like a lot of the early humour involving Bulma.

Still, that's pretty cool, MoltenMan. I'd love to be able to do that with my parents.

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:
I mean, in all fairness, the original Dragon Ball has a lot of naked Goku in it.

Not to make any unjust assumptions about MoltenMan's mom, but if she's anything like my own, she probably wouldn't be super excited about seeing little cartoon penises.

That may not be his reasoning, but I would be weary about showing my mother Dragon Ball, just because I wouldn't want to have to validate it. But she's super conservative, so, yeah.
This would be my reasoning. Just to save myself some trouble, just bust out the Kai.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree, that is pretty cool. To have something that you really enjoy (especially in the anime department) and be able to share it with your parent(s)? That's sick. I wish mine were that accepting of it.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Before my sister got married, she would watch Tsubasa on DVD. I had no interest in the show, but I tried to back off and stay in my room because I thought it was cool they were watching something like that together.

In the early 2000's my mom and dad were going through a divorce, and needless to say, it was a bit rough being a teenager at the time. We had just got Cartoon Network and was really when Dragon Ball and all things related really gave me an escape from all the stuff going on around me. My sister really liked it, and I remember my mom sitting down with us watching the Cell saga. I remember later on in the Buu saga, they'd show an episode on Toonami and then really late at night they'd replay that one episode. One night in particular I didn't have to work the next day so I remember going into my moms room just to chat, and she was flipping through the channels and stopped it on the episode where Majin Vegeta and Goku were fighting. We ended up watching the whole episode. I remember my mom watching it really concerned because at the time it came off really serious and Vegeta was absolutely seething. I'll always remember that.

Fast forward to now, it's kinda cool to take a time out and watch an episode or two. I did have to explain Kai and why it was different from what she had seen on TV. It's all good.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I realize the reasons he wouldn't show original DB but I love this reply so much xD I would'nt feel weird having her see naked Goku she changed me as a baby would a cartoon baby penis and butt really offend our mothers? XD I still get the reasons though

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:57 pm

She absolutely can't stand Roshi. Years ago she saw a bit with Bulma in the bunny suit and all that stuff, she hated that. :lol:

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 pm

She is aware it's a cartoon, right?

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 pm

AgitoZ wrote:She is aware it's a cartoon, right?
Even if it's a cartoon, it doesn't mean she can't be disgusted by it. I kinda had the same thing happened to me. I was watching Kai one day and my mom decided to join in. She had a lot of questions about the show but didn't approve of profanity. Good thing I've moved. :P
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes. But that's the thing, she, and I imagine many other mom/parents think of it like, "GASP! This is in a cartoon?". I don't mind it, but I understand her view on it. Some of that stuff is a bit out there and surely looks odd to someone not accustomed to it.

But anyway, she's been making some sort of apple crisp stuff, then we'll watch an episode or two of Kai. Goku and Raditz just died, and now we prepare for Nappa and Vegeta.

So anybody else have any siblings, other family members who watch or have watched with you?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 pm

MoltenMan wrote:Yes. But that's the thing, she, and I imagine many other mom/parents think of it like, "GASP! This is in a cartoon?". I don't mind it, but I understand her view on it. Some of that stuff is a bit out there and surely looks odd to someone not accustomed to it.

But anyway, she's been making some sort of apple crisp stuff, then we'll watch an episode or two of Kai. Goku and Raditz just died, and now we prepare for Nappa and Vegeta.

So anybody else have any siblings, other family members who watch or have watched with you?
My brothers used to watch DBZ with me, so whenever they get a glimpse of me watching my Kai sets, they usually get all nostalgic about the show.

Honestly, it's a smart move that you're going with Kai. It moves at a more brisk pace than other anime, and it's a great starting point for any DBZ beginner.
AgitoZ wrote:She is aware it's a cartoon, right?
You do understand that the content found in western cartoons are very different to Japanese cartoons, right? If you're not prepared, then some of the stuff found in DBZ can be seen as shocking.

MoltenMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by MoltenMan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:22 pm

The first two Kai sets that came out here I used to own. Knowing I was going to get this new set, I had given those others to my sister and brother-in-law. My brother-in-law has never seen Dragon Ball Z, and thinks it looks stupid, but I hear they just started watching Kai and he seems to have backed off a little.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes I'm well aware of the differences between this and more western culture I'm just surprised she was offended by Roshi.

But wouldn't that be more of a reason to show her some of the other stuff, so maybe try to get her to change her mind about it?
MoltenMan wrote:Yes. But that's the thing, she, and I imagine many other mom/parents think of it like, "GASP! This is in a cartoon?". I don't mind it, but I understand her view on it. Some of that stuff is a bit out there and surely looks odd to someone not accustomed to it.
Yeah, my mom was like that too. Except she was more concerned with all the extreme violence than the little boy penis and jokes about perverts.
MoltenMan wrote:So anybody else have any siblings, other family members who watch or have watched with you?
Too lazy to write. I'll just link to a similar thread started by some jerk-off. http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=14310

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Wonder what you mom would say if you showed her a Pepe le Pew short.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:03 am

MoltenMan wrote:Before my sister got married, she would watch Tsubasa on DVD. I had no interest in the show, but I tried to back off and stay in my room because I thought it was cool they were watching something like that together.

In the early 2000's my mom and dad were going through a divorce, and needless to say, it was a bit rough being a teenager at the time. We had just got Cartoon Network and was really when Dragon Ball and all things related really gave me an escape from all the stuff going on around me. My sister really liked it, and I remember my mom sitting down with us watching the Cell saga. I remember later on in the Buu saga, they'd show an episode on Toonami and then really late at night they'd replay that one episode. One night in particular I didn't have to work the next day so I remember going into my moms room just to chat, and she was flipping through the channels and stopped it on the episode where Majin Vegeta and Goku were fighting. We ended up watching the whole episode. I remember my mom watching it really concerned because at the time it came off really serious and Vegeta was absolutely seething. I'll always remember that.

Fast forward to now, it's kinda cool to take a time out and watch an episode or two. I did have to explain Kai and why it was different from what she had seen on TV. It's all good.
aww shucks :')
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:22 am

Me - I'm really into Dragon Ball and manga (mainly Weekly Jump titles) and occasionally will watch some anime. I enjoy the art form and have fun reading it. But it's far from being my life.

My Ma - Doesn't really care too much at all about it, but she'd put up with me constantly talking Pokémon, Digimon and Dragon Ball Z with her as a kid and she went along, so I'm proud of her haha.

My Step Dad - "Everyone looks like Speed Racer." Hahahaha he cracks me up, making fun of anime and stuff.

My brothers - They all read manga and watch anime to a certain extent. My oldest younger brother reads Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bakuman, Death Note, etc. The one after him reads stuff like Reborn!. And then the youngest one is really into the Pokémon manga.

Friends - Most of my close friends are like me. We all read and keep up with current Jump manga and read older manga too. But we also go out and do a lot of other things together like soccer, hockey, parties, video games, road trips, etc etc.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 am

In my home the disgusted one was my dad. Mum simply didn't care, but thanks to her I had all comics and magazines she could get. Among the kids in my school I was probably the only one who was never forbidden to read/watch anything due to "moral reasons".
What I find strange was that most of my friends' parents were shocked not by violent fights, but by several naked characters(like Goku in GT opening). After short time I started thinking that it must be something wrong with us that they had never made a dance with covering my eyes and run to remote control. Her comment?
"There are other things that I protect you from, more important that nude cartoon penis".
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:13 am

When I was watching OG Dragon Ball, sometimes my mom would be in the background in the kitchen and at one point when I was watching she asked, "Why is everybody on this show obsessed with panties?"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler