Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm

I know. I was just pointing out that what you stated didn't work because of that.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm

InfernalVegito wrote: That's because in the last games the characters are constantly levitating or flying when you move them.

I'll reapeat, that isn't an excuse and makes no sense. How does that prevent them from being able to incorporate a mechanic in which character's are able to spring around easily?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:38 pm

DonieZ wrote:
InfernalVegito wrote: That's because in the last games the characters are constantly levitating or flying when you move them.

I'll reapeat, that isn't an excuse and makes no sense. How does that prevent them from being able to incorporate a mechanic in which character's are able to spring around easily?
You missed my point again. I wasn't trying to find an excuse for them or defend them. I am just saying that it didn't work because the characters were levitating permanently when moving. That's a fact and not an excuse from my side.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

mysticboy wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I don't mind the free roaming aspect of the Tenkaichi games but I can't stress this enough, they need to come up with a better solution then split screen. I have no problem playing the game online or with one player battles but the second I'm sitting on the couch with my friends it gets...weird. I'd like to see the next game get handled the way Super DBZ was handled. It had that open world feel but it was accustomed to work without split screen; I guess you can think of it like those wrestling games(haven't played since it was still called WWF).
They could put the camera in a 2-D perspective or zoom out, but the battlefields are so large, you could loose track of your character. IMO, split screen is fine. Just have the screens merge when the characters get close.
There is an easy way to work around the large fields. My personal take on it would to make the playing field smaller but to then get rid of the boarders, thus pulling off the pac-man effect. Essentially you'd make the fields feel larger. Two reasons why I'd do this, first it gets rid of the split screen and game breaking boarders while still giving you the feeling of large-scale epic battle; second those fields are getting two ridiculous to the point where it's so easy to play hide and go seek in online play. By changing the fields you bring the fight closer in and you have tighter, and more personal, fights. You'd get the Dragonball feel without feeling like a carbon copy fighting game.

Also, it should be noted, with smaller fields it leave more room to add characters and personalized special attacks.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:There is an easy way to work around the large fields. My personal take on it would to make the playing field smaller but to then get rid of the boarders, thus pulling off the pac-man effect. Essentially you'd make the fields feel larger. Two reasons why I'd do this, first it gets rid of the split screen and game breaking boarders while still giving you the feeling of large-scale epic battle; second those fields are getting two ridiculous to the point where it's so easy to play hide and go seek in online play. By changing the fields you bring the fight closer in and you have tighter, and more personal, fights. You'd get the Dragonball feel without feeling like a carbon copy fighting game.

Also, it should be noted, with smaller fields it leave more room to add characters and personalized special attacks.
That could work. Also, I can see Ninja Storm-sized arenas working well. That way, you can still move around in a 3D space. This is basically what they with UT once you get in melee range.

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:51 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
mysticboy wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I don't mind the free roaming aspect of the Tenkaichi games but I can't stress this enough, they need to come up with a better solution then split screen. I have no problem playing the game online or with one player battles but the second I'm sitting on the couch with my friends it gets...weird. I'd like to see the next game get handled the way Super DBZ was handled. It had that open world feel but it was accustomed to work without split screen; I guess you can think of it like those wrestling games(haven't played since it was still called WWF).
They could put the camera in a 2-D perspective or zoom out, but the battlefields are so large, you could loose track of your character. IMO, split screen is fine. Just have the screens merge when the characters get close.
There is an easy way to work around the large fields. My personal take on it would to make the playing field smaller but to then get rid of the boarders, thus pulling off the pac-man effect. Essentially you'd make the fields feel larger. Two reasons why I'd do this, first it gets rid of the split screen and game breaking boarders while still giving you the feeling of large-scale epic battle; second those fields are getting two ridiculous to the point where it's so easy to play hide and go seek in online play. By changing the fields you bring the fight closer in and you have tighter, and more personal, fights. You'd get the Dragonball feel without feeling like a carbon copy fighting game.

Well, there is a group, who wants simulate that hide and seek game, which Goku does one time against Freeza. And who doesn't like under-water-fighting??
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:00 pm

I guess this method could possibly allow for faster-paced battles. Depending on the way it's executed it could work. But I'm not sure about the looping effect, they'd have to do it right in order for it to go unnoticed, otherwise it may feel silly.

@Inferno Okay, you seem to have misunderstood me then from your initial reply to me. I wasn't literally asking why it doesn't work like that, I was aksing/wondering why they hadn't made the mechanic to be like that. You said character's are constantly levitating. Then levitating when not flying needs to get ridden off, and thing's need to be changed.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:04 pm

My trick, and I think I mentioned this back during the first Raging Blast thread(with pictures and everything), would be to keep the boarders identical looking; for example like a water boarder or maybe just plain grass. On top of that, to keep your opponent close, there be a limit to how far you could launch him back (don't want to send him flying and have him end up behind you).

It would be a challenge but pulled off correctly it would make for a better sense of space, you wouldn't have borders to deal with; on top of that you can kill split screen and make it feel more like a fighter while sticking to the Dragonball roots.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Tenkaichi 3 for the Wii is definitely one of the best DBZ games to date. Mainly due to how awesome the control with the nunchuck and wiimote is. The motion detection was fantastic like Wii Sports. For the PS2 it was still great for fast paced gameplay, fairly nice graphics for the time and the amount of characters in the game. I had friends that didn't really care for the series, but enjoyed the game. It was the type of game casual gamers could enjoy, even for the PS2. A Tenkaichi 4 would have been ridiculous, by that time we needed a new engine for the franchise. I think Burst Limit came out a short time later. Burst Limit was easily better than Tenkaichi 3 in terms of gameplay and graphics. The game was fun and was listed on the Xbox 360 platinum hits. It was the number 1 game in Japan for months as I recall for the PS3. As that may be, Raging Blast was a total flop and set a new low for the series. The gameplay was terrible and repetitive and the roster was low. Two was pretty much the same thing as the first one (See a correlation with Modern Warfare 2 and 3?). Ultimate Tenkaichi is well, unique in itself, but the game mechanics just aren't appealing to most. The graphics however are visually stunning, along with the fantastic music.

I'd wager Burst Limit as being on par with some of the best games of the 2008-2010 period, given that it was simple but deep with its gameplay. I think very few DBZ games actually accomplished this.

Budokai - Innovative and fun for its time. Selling over 2 million units for the PS2.
Budokai 2 - Nearly the same as the first, though some differing mechanics.
Budokai 3 - Unique and fun, only lacking deeper mechanics, though easily an 8/10.

The NES/SNES games were actually great quality for the time, the developers had the right idea and certainly should have released them in the US. However, the PS1 games weren't the greatest and lacked greatly in almost every department. The Budokai series just got better every threshold and sold pretty well overall. Sagas was an okay game, it just lacked in replay value and the actual gameplay mechanics were too soft.

Really I think if they can keep or even improve the graphics of Ultimate Tenkaichi and create an RPG or some type of sandbox or innovative fighting game with Dragon Ball, I think sales would explode. I mean, the developers just need to look at the current top games out there and what elements they have. Whatever company's making the next game, I really hope they just at least look at what makes games popular and addicting to play.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Perfect, question, can you do a Kamehame-Ha! correctly with the Wii controllers and appear then on the screen? (About Tenkaichi 3)

Tenkaichi 3 deserved to have "Ultimate Tenkaichi" than the actual Ultimate Tenkaichi.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:50 am

Like take the position of how one would fire a Kamehameha in the anime/manga with the controller and fire it on screen?
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:17 am

DonieZ wrote:Yeah, I get what you're saying. But when you look at it from a standing view of "Which game would I rather buy" or "Which game is actually rather worth the money" then even genre differences can be overlooked.
Yeah, I agree with that. Just the initial post I quoted made me think you were saying something else (directly comparing two games' gameplay, as opposed to deciding which game is more worth the money). Maybe I misunderstood.
mysticboy wrote:Have you played Ultimate Ninja Storm, The Bouncer, or any of the WWE games? Those, along with War of the Monsters (great game BTW wish there was a sequel), are examples of open-arena fighters similar to Spike's games.
Yep, I've played all of those. I just chose War of the Monsters since I felt it shared the most elements with Tenkaichi like the large environments, destructible stages, and some flight. Speaking of The Bouncer though, you should try Urban Reign. In my opinion, I think that's a much better-playing arena fighter.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:The problem with the War of the Monsters (PS2 gem if there ever was one) analogy is that WotM isn't fast paced.
True. But it was the closest other thing to Tenkaichi I played, so I didn't have anything closer to mention.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 am

Perfect wrote:Like take the position of how one would fire a Kamehameha in the anime/manga with the controller and fire it on screen?
Yeah.. Not possible?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Perfect wrote:Like take the position of how one would fire a Kamehameha in the anime/manga with the controller and fire it on screen?
Yeah.. Not possible?
Yeah that requires motion control in which I doubt many DBZ fans have access to. I sure don't and as much as I like dbz I would not buy a wii or Kinect for it.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am

DonieZ wrote: @Inferno Okay, you seem to have misunderstood me then from your initial reply to me. I wasn't literally asking why it doesn't work like that, I was aksing/wondering why they hadn't made the mechanic to be like that. You said character's are constantly levitating. Then levitating when not flying needs to get ridden off, and thing's need to be changed.
Ah okay gotcha then. Yeah I know that while there was a lot free roaming-type freedom in BT3 and due to its fast-pace (opposed to the RB games) it lacked some kind of more ways to utilize that said freedom better. While you could easily fly everywhere and attack your opponent everywhere in aerial combat it was still a little restricitve in a sense that it didn't let you jump from point to point or fly from point to point manually the way you intend.

For instance the pursuit animations in UT should/could be done manually. That alone would grant more freedom in aerial movement.
And as for on the ground I think that would better suit a DB-centric game only. Since in DB Son Goku and basically everyone else didn't learn to levitate or fly until the end of the series and they mostly fought on the ground by jumping from point to point.

A Z-GT-centric game should definitely improve, if free roaming, the aerial combat so that you can have more ways of attacking your opponent from every side of the field.
Just my two cents..

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:22 pm

Question: Why is the US Budokai Tenkaichi 3 used at $40 while a new sealed UK Budokai Tenkaichi 3 only costs £12.99 ($20)?

The NTSC version was produced in a more limited quantity than the PAL?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:31 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Question: Why is the US Budokai Tenkaichi 3 used at $40 while a new sealed UK Budokai Tenkaichi 3 only costs £12.99 ($20)?

The NTSC version was produced in a more limited quantity than the PAL?
Somebody lost the rights to it or something like that.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 am

I don't know why T3 is so overrated. Budokai 1 is the game that sold the most in the franchise. It's funny ain't it?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:26 pm

DonieZ wrote:I don't know why T3 is so overrated. Budokai 1 is the game that sold the most in the franchise. It's funny ain't it?
It's not about sales, it's about the opinions of the fans. Nobody praises B1 as the best game in the franchise.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 am

Saiga wrote:
DonieZ wrote:I don't know why T3 is so overrated. Budokai 1 is the game that sold the most in the franchise. It's funny ain't it?
It's not about sales, it's about the opinions of the fans. Nobody praises B1 as the best game in the franchise.
I know, I just remembered a guy saying "there's a reason T3 sold the most", and so I wanted to point that out.