Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

K.O. Ken

Re: Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Post by K.O. Ken » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:26 pm

I LOVE BT3. I have it on the Wii, and I'm considering getting the Japanese version purely for the music.

I've said this before, but after I started really playing the BT games, I simply couldnt go back to Budokai. It felt like I was regressing to an inferior game (even though Budokai 3 is actually an awesome game).

"Why am I playing this? This is...boring. I'm not having fun at all."

After being stuck on BT games for so long, I was naturally eager to pick up Raging Blast. The first game was alright, and I enjoyed playing it for a little over a year. But it just wasnt quite up to snuff. And when RG2 was announced, I skipped it, figuring "well, we'll probably get a RG3 anyway, so I'll just wait."

Well, RG3 never came, so recently I picked up RG2. And honestly? Its a solid game. Definetly an improvement over RG1, but still not quite "there."

(Those damned Battle Zones and those ridiculous Galaxy Mode conditions are the bane of my existence)

Then, I popped BT3 back in. After being so focused on RG games, it was weird playing BT again (I use the classic controller). But after playing a while, and getting used to the controls again, I realized "wow. Why did I ever stop playing this?" BT3 is so much more fast paced, it LOOKS more like an anime game, and I feel 100% in control of my character. There are no sluggish "reaction" animations, either.

Thats one thing I HATED about RG's style (Throws, guard parries, CLOSE COMBAT MOVEMENT).

Please Spike. Give us BT4.
"But it's pronounced Kaioken!"
"That's the joke."

http://www.youtube.com/user/ultramancronos/

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:56 pm

At K.O. Ken: Are you me?

I could not describe it better.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

K.O. Ken

Post by K.O. Ken » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:At K.O. Ken: Are you me?

I could not describe it better.
Have you forgotten?

I am you older brother, Raditz. And you, Kakkarot, are a Saiyan!

:lol:
"That's the joke."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:48 am

BT3 is awesome game. What really makes me coming back is the roster and I enjoyed that SIM pretty much and survival and all. Controls, albeit not like other fighting games are simple/fun (Wii), when I get bored and don't seek any challenge, I simply pop it in and play and doing these rudiculous movements with nunchuks :D I also played it on PS2 and it's too entertaining.
For me it's the ''Ultimate Blast'' game.

My last game on next gen is Raging Blast 2, not much characters, repetitive. Galaxy mode was fun, until I unlocked everything and sometimes harder challengesto obtain a picture from the series..... well. It was fun for the while, only because I liked Hachihyaku and the visuals of the game. Some attacks were cool like Metal Coolers explosion or Freeza and Cooler transforming is also done pretty well (unlike BT3, where everyone goes ''pomp'' with flash and they are different).
On the other hand, I don't understand why Cell and other changers didn't got the same treatment as Saiyans and Freeza and co. They simply go ''pomp'' like in BT3.
The controls are almost the same as BT3, but somewhat dumbed down. Also the block is seriously not working!!! Damn....
Then there is that Arena mode, which don't entertains me at all.
So only thing that amused me on RB2 was the movie and Hachihyakku, otherwise it's like heavily castrated Budokai Tenkaichi.
And Ultimate Tenkaichi? I got that pissed off because of smaller roster then RB2 and lack of some key characters.
Also the cutscenes? They are nice, but why is that the first two sagas got like 8 cutscenes and other major two only 3?
Hero mode? Not interesting. I think this game is completely useless and when I saw the fights based on clicking on the buttons that are displayed on screen? I always hated it in games before. I think this game is useless.

NOTE: Well, if the game developer is able or not to make a good game within a year and have some battles with Shueisha.
Yeah, it's bad, but as a customer, I don't give a f**k. It's my money I'm willing to pay for a good game, and if the game sucks, then I'm sorry. Why do I have to buy bad unfinished product? Because of mercy to developer, who excuses himself that the guys at HQ are harsh on them? Then the developer is destined to vanish. If they will accept that they are doing things wrong, maybe the new developer will come up or they will simply stop with this franchise.
I will be happier for no games than the actual crap game each year.

I really don't get lot of the people, who are still praising these products. Are they dumb otakus, who are paying only for a stamp or simply people with low standards? I really don't understand.
Why the Gundam franchise have average but entertaining games each time with the Gundam vs series???
And outside the franchise, there is helluva load of great video games.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 am

MCDaveG wrote:BT3 is awesome game. What really makes me coming back is the roster and I enjoyed that SIM pretty much and survival and all. Controls, albeit not like other fighting games are simple/fun (Wii), when I get bored and don't seek any challenge, I simply pop it in and play and doing these rudiculous movements with nunchuks :D I also played it on PS2 and it's too entertaining.
For me it's the ''Ultimate Blast'' game.

My last game on next gen is Raging Blast 2, not much characters, repetitive. Galaxy mode was fun, until I unlocked everything and sometimes harder challengesto obtain a picture from the series..... well. It was fun for the while, only because I liked Hachihyaku and the visuals of the game. Some attacks were cool like Metal Coolers explosion or Freeza and Cooler transforming is also done pretty well (unlike BT3, where everyone goes ''pomp'' with flash and they are different).
On the other hand, I don't understand why Cell and other changers didn't got the same treatment as Saiyans and Freeza and co. They simply go ''pomp'' like in BT3.
The controls are almost the same as BT3, but somewhat dumbed down. Also the block is seriously not working!!! Damn....
Then there is that Arena mode, which don't entertains me at all.
So only thing that amused me on RB2 was the movie and Hachihyakku, otherwise it's like heavily castrated Budokai Tenkaichi.
And Ultimate Tenkaichi? I got that pissed off because of smaller roster then RB2 and lack of some key characters.
Also the cutscenes? They are nice, but why is that the first two sagas got like 8 cutscenes and other major two only 3?
Hero mode? Not interesting. I think this game is completely useless and when I saw the fights based on clicking on the buttons that are displayed on screen? I always hated it in games before. I think this game is useless.

NOTE: Well, if the game developer is able or not to make a good game within a year and have some battles with Shueisha.
Yeah, it's bad, but as a customer, I don't give a f**k. It's my money I'm willing to pay for a good game, and if the game sucks, then I'm sorry. Why do I have to buy bad unfinished product? Because of mercy to developer, who excuses himself that the guys at HQ are harsh on them? Then the developer is destined to vanish. If they will accept that they are doing things wrong, maybe the new developer will come up or they will simply stop with this franchise.
I will be happier for no games than the actual crap game each year.

I really don't get lot of the people, who are still praising these products. Are they dumb otakus, who are paying only for a stamp or simply people with low standards? I really don't understand.
Why the Gundam franchise have average but entertaining games each time with the Gundam vs series???
And outside the franchise, there is helluva load of great video games.
It has nothing to do with them being "dumb otakus with low standards". It has to be that people are not hive mind in this fanbase and enjoy different things. That is why I think like the Naruto franchise, dbz should have fighting games with alternate fighting styles. One for the Budokai lovers and the other for the Tenkaichi lovers.

That being said. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as much as it is praised caused many problems. Many people expected a large bloated character list since BT3 hyper-inflated it by splitting up the same character into three different ones like Goku. That was fixed in the RB series, and people in general did not like that since it took down the character count. Since BT3 that is all people wanted from Spike, a overlarge character list.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:03 am

K.O Ken @ RG? I take it you're referring to RB (Raging Blast) series.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:It has nothing to do with them being "dumb otakus with low standards". It has to be that people are not hive mind in this fanbase and enjoy different things. That is why I think like the Naruto franchise, dbz should have fighting games with alternate fighting styles. One for the Budokai lovers and the other for the Tenkaichi lovers.

That being said. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as much as it is praised caused many problems. Many people expected a large bloated character list since BT3 hyper-inflated it by splitting up the same character into three different ones like Goku. That was fixed in the RB series, and people in general did not like that since it took down the character count. Since BT3 that is all people wanted from Spike, a overlarge character list.
Well, I don't need three Gokus.... but well, I really liked the costumes, like Yamcha had even the Dragon Ball one.
What I missed in RB 2 were challenges. Well, for beating up the difficult Cell Games, you got King Cold!!
Getting dragon balls in arena, got wish, with lot of stages and some characters.
Sim mode with something like little RPG, 100 missions from androids, 2 survival modes, 5 Tournament modes, Story mode....
3 series in one, with most the characters.

In RB2, Galaxy mode. Unlocking item, handicap set. Cool, original challenge. Which got boring after I unlocked everything after few hours of playing. Also, beat boss, get dragon ball, yeah :( and pictures from series....
Goku got 7 costumes, without my favorite one, the blue from the end of Z, other characters got like 2.
Gohan without Goku's gi, albeit Bojack is in the game and his picture in this costume is in music gallery?!
Battle Zone and pointless tournament. ALL! What was definitely + was the movie, new character Hachihiyaku and Tarble.
Altough, I missed the Dr. Raichi character and Abocado to fight Tarble with as I expected....
Never cared about SSJ3 Brolli and Vegeta.

BT3 - 24 stages with some in daylight, night and morning version. Fun controls, more so on Wii!!
RB2 - 14 stages, dumbed down controls, block is not working as I'm used to (actually it reacts 50/50).

So it's clear for me which game won 8)

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote: It has nothing to do with them being "dumb otakus with low standards". It has to be that people are not hive mind in this fanbase and enjoy different things. That is why I think like the Naruto franchise, dbz should have fighting games with alternate fighting styles. One for the Budokai lovers and the other for the Tenkaichi lovers.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm curious, which games do your prefer Saimaroimaru, and which is your favourite from the home consoles?

Btw, you mentioned the Naruto franchise gets two style of games, however I am only aware of them currently making the storm series. What other games are you talking about?

K.O. Ken

Post by K.O. Ken » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:00 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:K.O Ken @ RG? I take it you're referring to RB (Raging Blast) series.
Oh yeah, my bad. lol. :lol:
"That's the joke."

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:54 am

DonieZ wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote: It has nothing to do with them being "dumb otakus with low standards". It has to be that people are not hive mind in this fanbase and enjoy different things. That is why I think like the Naruto franchise, dbz should have fighting games with alternate fighting styles. One for the Budokai lovers and the other for the Tenkaichi lovers.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm curious, which games do your prefer Saimaroimaru, and which is your favourite from the home consoles?

Btw, you mentioned the Naruto franchise gets two style of games, however I am only aware of them currently making the storm series. What other games are you talking about?
I think Clash Of Ninja on Wii, which I have myself. Most people are criticizing this series a lot, but I find it fun to play, that you are figting simply by waving nunchuks and pressing buttons for special attacks, which is fun in change of usual pressing buttons on joypad. And the game is quite challenging too, there is lot of missions, which is one of the ways to unlock characters and I still didn't got few of them. Well, but maybe not that challenging like Tenkaichi Daiboken on Wii is, to get Piccolo and Arale, to have everything on ''S'' :lol:

PS: I would love to have some fighter on Kinect. That will be awesome, like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. Unfortunately, I don't even consider Spike or Dimps releasing Dragon Ball based on Kinect, when Spike is currently developing their cheap releases on PS3.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:10 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:It has nothing to do with them being "dumb otakus with low standards". It has to be that people are not hive mind in this fanbase and enjoy different things. That is why I think like the Naruto franchise, dbz should have fighting games with alternate fighting styles. One for the Budokai lovers and the other for the Tenkaichi lovers.

Well, I don't need three Gokus.... but well, I really liked the costumes, like Yamcha had even the Dragon Ball one.
What I missed in RB 2 were challenges. Well, for beating up the difficult Cell Games, you got King Cold!!
Getting dragon balls in arena, got wish, with lot of stages and some characters.
Sim mode with something like little RPG, 100 missions from androids, 2 survival modes, 5 Tournament modes, Story mode....
3 series in one, with most the characters.

In RB2, Galaxy mode. Unlocking item, handicap set. Cool, original challenge. Which got boring after I unlocked everything after few hours of playing. Also, beat boss, get dragon ball, yeah :( and pictures from series....
Goku got 7 costumes, without my favorite one, the blue from the end of Z, other characters got like 2.
Gohan without Goku's gi, albeit Bojack is in the game and his picture in this costume is in music gallery?!
Battle Zone and pointless tournament. ALL! What was definitely + was the movie, new character Hachihiyaku and Tarble.
Altough, I missed the Dr. Raichi character and Abocado to fight Tarble with as I expected....
Never cared about SSJ3 Brolli and Vegeta.

BT3 - 24 stages with some in daylight, night and morning version. Fun controls, more so on Wii!!
RB2 - 14 stages, dumbed down controls, block is not working as I'm used to (actually it reacts 50/50).

So it's clear for me which game won 8)
Of trust me, I think BT3 beats the heck out of the current gen, especially after seeing all the options for the CAC. I was just pointing out a fatale flaw that has killed Spike ever since among other things.
DonieZ wrote:
Budokai 2, yes I know it is nowhere near perfect but I liked the mini games, the what-if fusions and absorptions, the game board like story mode they had many different reactions that just had me trying different character meet ups, and the option(for ps2 owners) to unlock everything from the beginning. While it may be the game that strayed way the most from the DBZ franchise in terms of story and whatever I felt it was the game with the most creativity.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Personally I felt T2 gameplay felt the fastest and most complex

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote: Budokai 2, yes I know it is nowhere near perfect but I liked the mini games, the what-if fusions and absorptions, the game board like story mode they had many different reactions that just had me trying different character meet ups, and the option(for ps2 owners) to unlock everything from the beginning. While it may be the game that strayed way the most from the DBZ franchise in terms of story and whatever I felt it was the game with the most creativity.
You and me both bro, B2 is still my most favourite to date. I am filled with nostalgia when thinking about it; great and fun board story, great music (the one which plays in the snow area comes to mind), and being able to have different match ups. The absorbtions were also fun, and I still remember how hard the difficulty could be, especially when facing Kid Buu at the final stage. 'Twas fun trying to get certain character's away from him. Overall great game. I was so annoyed when I chipped the CD trying to fit like 4 CD's in a case, with B2 ofcourse at the top lol smh.

And this is why I was also really dissapointed with RB2's Galaxy mode. I thought that removing story mode would be done decently, and could even be something like B2's, however they just went and basically made it an arcade mode. I know this all depends on opinion and if you regard RB2 a good fighting game, but how can you give a game which hasn't got a depthy or decent fighting system an arcade mode? I mean, a game with a cloned roster and an arcade mode? It only emphasized the repetitivity of the game. But yeah that's just my opinion.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:18 am

DonieZ wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote: Budokai 2, yes I know it is nowhere near perfect but I liked the mini games, the what-if fusions and absorptions, the game board like story mode they had many different reactions that just had me trying different character meet ups, and the option(for ps2 owners) to unlock everything from the beginning. While it may be the game that strayed way the most from the DBZ franchise in terms of story and whatever I felt it was the game with the most creativity.
You and me both bro, B2 is still my most favourite to date. I am filled with nostalgia when thinking about it; great and fun board story, great music (the one which plays in the snow area comes to mind), and being able to have different match ups. The absorbtions were also fun, and I still remember how hard the difficulty could be, especially when facing Kid Buu at the final stage. 'Twas fun trying to get certain character's away from him. Overall great game. I was so annoyed when I chipped the CD trying to fit like 4 CD's in a case, with B2 ofcourse at the top lol smh.

And this is why I was also really dissapointed with RB2's Galaxy mode. I thought that removing story mode would be done decently, and could even be something like B2's, however they just went and basically made it an arcade mode. I know this all depends on opinion and if you regard RB2 a good fighting game, but how can you give a game which hasn't got a depthy or decent fighting system an arcade mode? I mean, a game with a cloned roster and an arcade mode? It only emphasized the repetitivity of the game. But yeah that's just my opinion.
The strange thing about the hard mode was that Kid Buu was easier to beat with Goten. Maybe he has a thing for short characters?

That being said Spike needs to get the ball rolling, I fear that this gen (360, PS3, whatever) is gonna end in maybe 4-3 year with maybe some hints to the next gen being next year or in 2013. In short, this gen compared to the last is and will be looked at as the black sheep generation/ slump whatever. Which is ironic seeing as in music the sophomore album is looked as the one that causes the most trouble for a musicians career these days. This is basically Spike dealing with the sophomore curse only for video game generation wise.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:
The strange thing about the hard mode was that Kid Buu was easier to beat with Goten. Maybe he has a thing for short characters?

That being said Spike needs to get the ball rolling, I fear that this gen (360, PS3, whatever) is gonna end in maybe 4-3 year with maybe some hints to the next gen being next year or in 2013. In short, this gen compared to the last is and will be looked at as the black sheep generation/ slump whatever. Which is ironic seeing as in music the sophomore album is looked as the one that causes the most trouble for a musicians career these days. This is basically Spike dealing with the sophomore curse only for video game generation wise.
And this is all due to the pit they carved after giving us such a huge roster. Can you believe the game got a Guiness World Record? It's ridiculous. And now they can't focus on creating an excellent gameplay experience, just because they have to cater for such a large roster. It's a shame really, you'd think when they only have a year to make these games they'd get their priorities straight. There may be a chance they actually don't know how to create a good fighting game, when you look at their video game history, and their transition to UT. I guess it's a good thing they're merging with Chunsoft or something..
Last edited by DonieZ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 am

DonieZ wrote:I guess it's a good thing they're merging with Chunsoft or something (from Square Enix)..
Whoa really? That should be interesting.... But if they are the one who did Tobal series, that game was alwo quite a bizzare case in fighting genre. Not bad, but nothing that blown me off and some things really pissed me off when playing.
Only little afraid what will came out of it.

EDIT: ah, no, they are responsible for Dragon Quest and some titles I don't even know....

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:08 pm

DonieZ wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:

And this is all due to the pit they carved after giving us such a huge roster. Can you believe the game got a Guiness World Record? It's ridiculous. And now they can't focus on creating an excellent gameplay experience, just because they have to cater for such a large roster. It's a shame really, you'd think when they only have a year to make these games they'd get their priorities straight. There may be a chance they actually don't know how to create a good fighting game, when you look at their video game history, and their transition to UT. I guess it's a good thing they're merging with Chunsoft or something (from Square Enix)..
Chunsoft is known for console rpg's. Perhaps they can have them work on a console dbz rpg, or have them work on improving the cac story mode.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Chunsoft is known for console rpg's. Perhaps they can have them work on a console dbz rpg, or have them work on improving the cac story mode.
I don't think they'll do an RPG though, I think there is a much higher chance they carry on attempting to make a decent fighting game. Even if they did try to make an RPG, you think one year's enough time to make a good one? If they were to try and make one covering one saga, then yeah they probably would, but it's more likely they just go and try cover the whole of Z minimum, and there's no way it'd be as great as we picture it. Also, there's some chance they try to include GT in the next game somehow, seeing as they know many fans have been waiting for it for years now.

Their best chance is a fighting game, but even then Chunsoft has as little prior fighting game experience as Spike does.

I think the best thing for them to do is to start over and try to make a great 3D fighter from scratch. Get rid of story mode, and give a mode similar to B2's, aim for 30 character's from the whole of Z series (GT could be DLC), and get rid of generic smash attacks. The likelihood of this happening? I don't know, it's likely to be a turnoff to many of the remaining fans; but I can still request it...