Episode #0280 (04 December 2011)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0280 (04 December 2011)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Episode #0280 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
84:42; 96 kbps, mono; 58.4 MB

Episode #0280! VegettoEX and Julian follow-up on a good bit of "DragonBall GT" review material before moving on to an episode of "SMAP x SMAP" in Japan that highlighted the theme songs to the first "DragonBall" TV series with its original performers. The main audio portion of our Anime USA panel, an updated version of "10 Things You Didn't Know About DragonBall", takes center stage for our topic, with December's releases and your questions wrapping things up! Referenced sites:
Mish-mash of stuff this episode, but wonderful things all around!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0280 (04 December 2011)

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm

So Julian is back on those five episodes he couldn't attend last time?

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:22 am

Great episode! And the "monk"'s Chinese name is properly pronounced as Tang (the -ang part is like on, not like ain) Sun. ^.^

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 am

Son Goshen wrote:Great episode! And the "monk"'s Chinese name is properly pronounced as Tang (the -ang part is like on, not like ain) Sun. ^.^
Aren't English dialects great? (Using simple spelled pronunciation, I'd say "on" versus the "an" in "bank", while the "ain" in "pain" wouldn't even be possible with that letter combination... and British speakers would have a fit about "on" versus "ahn".) Of course, we're talking about the Chinese of over 1,000 years ago, whose pronunciation can only be reconstructed indirectly (I don't have one of the reconstructions handy to check). And anyway, isn't it "Xuanzang" (in Pinyin)? Tang was the dynasty that sent him to India. He's also generally played by a woman in (just Japanese?) adaptations, which explains how he became Bulma.

Incidentally, I completely failed to notice during recording that Mike said "Gori" Inagaki instead of "Goro". Must be a Freudian slip with relation to a certain late voice-actor.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:08 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Incidentally, I completely failed to notice during recording that Mike said "Gori" Inagaki instead of "Goro". Must be a Freudian slip with relation to a certain late voice-actor.
Yeah, I noticed that in editing. Oh well. I think my mouth just got ahead of me and slurred the first letter of his last name replacing the last letter of his first name into "Gori". Weird.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Hey VegettoEX, why don't you guys continue your, "Dragon Ball Inconsistencies" thing on your podcast next. Two of those were on your YouTube channel and were hosted by Meri I think.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Great episode!
Where can i see the SMAP X SMAP thing?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:14 pm

songohan619 wrote:Where can i see the SMAP X SMAP thing?
Like EX mentioned, just search online and you'll be able to find it. They certainly won't deny that you can find it, it's the internet, but there not gonna provide a direct link to it. Which is perfectly understandable.

Flamzeron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flamzeron » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I would like to note that DEEN is still around making music. They released their latest album "Graduation" earlier this year.

http://www.deen.gr.jp/index2.html

As for Field of View, they disbanded in 2002. The lead singer, U-ya Asaoka, is still making music though.

http://www.uyax.jp/

Zeshen

Post by Zeshen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:14 am

Hey guys, was listening to the latest podcast and I totally came up with an in universe theory that could explain why #17 could have remembered hearing Son Goku's voice without ever having met him. Although I know you explained it in the podcast and Toriyama said it was originally supposed to be another character, I thought that Dr. Gero might have had sound clips and video of Goku being uploaded into #17 and #18's "Databases." Therefore while never actually meeting Goku, he would have been able to recognize Goku's voice from the uploaded data. At least I figured it would sound plausible.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Son Goshen wrote:Great episode! And the "monk"'s Chinese name is properly pronounced as Tang (the -ang part is like on, not like ain) Sun. ^.^
Aren't English dialects great? (Using simple spelled pronunciation, I'd say "on" versus the "an" in "bank", while the "ain" in "pain" wouldn't even be possible with that letter combination... and British speakers would have a fit about "on" versus "ahn".) Of course, we're talking about the Chinese of over 1,000 years ago, whose pronunciation can only be reconstructed indirectly (I don't have one of the reconstructions handy to check). And anyway, isn't it "Xuanzang" (in Pinyin)? Tang was the dynasty that sent him to India. He's also generally played by a woman in (just Japanese?) adaptations, which explains how he became Bulma.

Incidentally, I completely failed to notice during recording that Mike said "Gori" Inagaki instead of "Goro". Must be a Freudian slip with relation to a certain late voice-actor.

It's 唐三藏. Tang San Zhuong. Or in cantonese, "Tong Saam Jong".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Hey, folks:

It's unrelated to this current episode, so I'd ask that you send anything you have either through e-mail, PM, Twitter, Facebook, etc...

But for those of you who only follow the podcast through the forum posts and not other social media, we're doing an all questions/e-mails/tweets/whatever episode for next week. If you have questions kicking around you'd like to ask, please send them in! Again, it's not related to THIS podcast episode (280), so please don't reply to this post in this thread with them, but send them through other means. Thanks!

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:19 pm

That was awesome! Hearing an updated version made me want to check out the feature on the site again.

One thing, though. What happened to the video on "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans"? :(

canine224

Post by canine224 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:45 am

This may fit more in the discussion for episode 279 but since GT was talked about in 280 and this was brought up there too I will mention it.

Unless I am forgetting, is Trunks the only one in his family we actually see run the company? I always just assumed it existed but was not managed the same as the real world or that they just made awesome things, made money off of the inventions and did not really employee anyone other than robots.