Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discuss

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Someone uploaded it on Youtube in Parts 1&2 Am I allowed to post the links on here?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:58 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Someone uploaded it on Youtube in Parts 1&2 Am I allowed to post the links on here?
No.

Just because someone else did something they shouldn't have done doesn't automatically means it's OK to start passing around.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Okay that's all I was waiting to hear. That settles that.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

RLZIII

Post by RLZIII » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:10 pm

This anime adaptation is almost spot-on with the manga by Naho Ooishi. After watching it, I also pretty much have the same thought: it was alright. There's nothing overly spectacular about it, but it's always nice to have new entries to keep the franchise alive. For this adaptation, I like the animation style, and it seems like everything was done pretty well (even if it seems a bit rushed). I don't know how I feel about Bardock going back in time to become a Super Saiyan before Son Goku (or possibly before any other Saiyan); that really just creates more questions than answers. But, again, a new entry to the franchise...I'm not complaining.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but is this the first Dragon Ball animation in which Son Goku doesn't appear?
RLZIII

MSGnet
A Gundam Community Portal

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm so glad I got to watch it! The animation was okay; prefer the older stuff better.. The story felt more spaced out even if it was only 20 minutes. Bardock turning into a super saiyan was so epic. The fight followed by that was even more epic! I just wish it was longer. The ending just didn't cut it. Other than that it was pretty good.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Well the Special was what I expected so I am glad I didn't expect much. The music was alright although in some places it sounded out of place. The animation for the most part was fine except it looked funny when Bardock was eating. I still prefer cell animation vs. digital animation but that is a personal preference. The anime itself seemed to have followed closely to the manga but at least in the anime they showed Chilled died and it shows that Bardock is walking away (so we don't wonder what happened to him). However, other than that I still don't care much for this special in either manga or anime form since it doesn't seem to answer many questions and opens new ones.

Unlike the History of Trunks that strayed away from its manga form in the anime this didn't do that. Ah well I guess its something new.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm

I liked it, simple and effective. Yes, it does raise a few questions, and it does have that whole trouble of Bardocks armour suddenly restoring itself, but at least a few things were fixed, such as Freezas energy ball. It looks pretty, nice music, nice effects, awesome battle. Good stuff. Makes me wonder if they'll keep this going, with a new animated feature every year or every two years.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:55 pm

It was a great special, even though I was a little dissapointed that they omitted Chilled's ruthless kill, and the ending credits were just... credits.
RLZIII wrote:Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but is this the first Dragon Ball animation in which Son Goku doesn't appear?
If you count the openings on the DBZ episodes, yes! Not a single Goku! Exept Bardock looking exactly like Goku...
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I really liked the special a-lot. Just so I know this is just a What if movie correct?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Can anyone translate the cast list? Near as I can tell I think Marina Inoue voices Beri, based on the voice alone, but I could be wrong. Nozawa and Nakao really brought their A-game, espicially at the climax. Nakao even did a little bit of Baikinmon! :P

Oonishi Ryou's key animation towards the end was killer. The way Chilled just squirms in the air is gorgeously animated and remined me of Luffy's crying at the end of the Sabaody arc in One Piece. I hope they can bring him in for more Dragon Ball, but his work on Toriko might keep his away. Speaking of more, come on Toei. There's at least another ten minutes of story in this thing, if only to smooth out the transitions and battles. Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans had this same issue, espicially in how the battles just seemed to be jaggedly animated. Is Toei trying to not use a lot of in-betweeners anymore? Wasted Wisher said there wasn't a lot of work for them on PtEtSS and it looks like the same was for this special. At least PtEtSS had the excuse of needing to be on a game disc. :|
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:08 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I really liked the special a-lot. Just so I know this is just a What if movie correct?
Officialy, it's a direct sequel to the Bardock special. It's canon for me (the manga vesrion to the manga, the anime version to the anime). I don't see a reason why not.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks. To be honest though I like the ending to the Original Because Bardock died I like that better But I do like this too
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:16 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Thanks. To be honest though I like the ending to the Original Because Bardock died I like that better But I do like this too
Well, I liked the original too, but in the begining of the (animated) special, it seems that the original ending actualy happened, plus the time traveling.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:19 pm

I love it when he started going Super Saiyan that's awesome :)
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 pm

I really liked it, though I have higher expectations of animation studios nowadays, I did enjoy this. I liked how Bardock was the mild version of Vegeta and the little aliens were adorable. I also like the idea of Bardock surviving and living with the little creatures. Berie (I think the little guy's name is) sure wouldn't mind...:lol:

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Just saw the special, loved it. I really liked the way it was animated, i will admit there were some parts where the colors seem a bit off, but nothing i'd complain about.
This makes me wonder, if it is considered canon, does this mean that Bardock is the original Super Saiyan?
One World. 🌐 🕊

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:35 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I really liked the special a-lot. Just so I know this is just a What if movie correct?
Officialy, it's a direct sequel to the Bardock special. It's canon for me (the manga vesrion to the manga, the anime version to the anime). I don't see a reason why not.
Because it's way too much to ask the audience to believe a low-class warrior like Bardock can become a Super Saiyan. Now, yes, Goku became one despite being low class, but that was after training under 100x gravity and a few big zenkais, plus the death of Kuririn. If Bardock were to become a Super Saiyan, you'd think it would be when he faced Freeza. And the audience is also expected to believe Freeza's blasts cause time travel. What is he, Darkseid? And what happens to Bardock from here? He lives a peaceful life with these friendly aliens for forty or fifty more years until dying of natural causes? Please.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Just saw it. It was good, not great, so pretty much what I expected. As DNA pointed out Bardock gets new armor out of nowhere, if it was realistic the Plantians(?) should have provided him some new clothes(unless they made the armor?), but it doesn't really matter.
Bonus points for not being ambiguous about Chilled's death.

I prefer this over the manga version entirely because of the medium.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm

I really dislike the whole idea of "Bardock couldn't become a Super Saiyan because he didn't have enough battle power". Where was it ever stated that a Saiyan needs to be at X amount of battle power in order to transform? As far as I understand, the only requirement is trauma, and Bardock has plenty to spare.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 pm

DNA wrote:I really dislike the whole idea of "Bardock couldn't become a Super Saiyan because he didn't have enough battle power". Where was it ever stated that a Saiyan needs to be at X amount of battle power in order to transform? As far as I understand, the only requirement is trauma, and Bardock has plenty to spare.
Daizenshuu 7 wrote:Originally, the existence of this form outside of legend was doubted even among Saiyans, but in reality any Saiyan that possesses a high battle power above the standard level is capable of becoming a Super Saiyan.
Last edited by dbgtFO on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.