Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode of Bardock: Giant On-Going Manga + Anime Discuss

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:20 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:This story in the manga and even the anime adaptation makes me feel like it is only stretched promo for the arcade video game.
That's because it is.
See Super Saiyan Bardock on paper, then see him on screen, now go out and buy his trading card!
But well, commercial or not, if I was Japanese resident in big city, I will definitely try to get these cards and at play the game. I saw some gameplay video and it looks like lot of fun.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:33 am

Found it enjoyable enough.

I like the little things like how Freeza is so much like his ancestor and the whole medical stuff from those aliens is presumably stolen later on by Freeza's empire and used in those Medical Machines.

Bardock becoming a SSJ was a bit much and not just power related. I just didn't find his relationship with the kid was built up enough for him to be so angry that it would push him over the edge (maybe in combination with his lost comrades- but still the power issue). And the whole Bardock being the basis of the legendary SSJ that Freeza would later fear... I just don't like that kind of thing. It cheapens the whole set-up of of it in DBZ and Goku becoming one.

The whole being sent back in time was bit, huh? What happened there?

Reminds me of Animorphs when a nuclear sub blew up and they got sent back int time.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:46 am

I really want the explanation about the Plantians! :D So what with the Tsufurus then???
Did they evolved from these pink blobbers, or invaded the planet or are they one of the many species living on planet Plant?
Really, a blast sending you to the past is not bothering me a bit.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:20 am

penguintruth wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Bardock went back and killed all the friendly aliens later on, just for laughs. He IS a Saiyan, after all.
I also still think Bardock is such a thug, and that's why he is cool. Ooishi and Toei glamorized him too much. He is like a yucky typical tsundere character in this story, and honestly I hate it.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:33 am

MCDaveG wrote:I really want the explanation about the Plantians! :D So what with the Tsufurus then???
Did they evolved from these pink blobbers, or invaded the planet or are they one of the many species living on planet Plant?
Really, a blast sending you to the past is not bothering me a bit.
I thought it was possible more of Chilled's clan wipes them out and takes the whole healing technology.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:19 am

The anime adaptation was much better than the manga. They also removed all these remakes of the original manga panels and created new poses.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 am

kei17 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Bardock went back and killed all the friendly aliens later on, just for laughs. He IS a Saiyan, after all.
I also still think Bardock is such a thug, and that's why he is cool. Ooishi and Toei glamorized him too much. He is like a yucky typical tsundere character in this story, and honestly I hate it.
It's one of the problems I had with this special too. I would have had an easier time accepting Bardock as the legendary SSJ if he would have acted a bit more like the legend described him, a terror.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:27 am

penguintruth wrote:That's total bullshit. If Bardock was stronger than King Vegeta, he would have overthrown him. You think the Saiyans would have followed a weaker Saiyan than low-class Bardock? They're Saiyans, for Kami's sake!
If you had bothered to click the link, you'd have seen that it was supporting your case rather than JulieYBM's, since it links to King Vegeta's profile.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:32 am

Michsi wrote:
kei17 wrote:
It's one of the problems I had with this special too. I would have had an easier time accepting Bardock as the legendary SSJ if he would have acted a bit more like the legend described him, a terror.
The fact that this inhabitants reminded me a frog from my childhood show also didn't help.
That's total bullshit. If Bardock was stronger than King Vegeta, he would have overthrown him. You think the Saiyans would have followed a weaker Saiyan than low-class Bardock? They're Saiyans, for Kami's sake!
But he was Bardock. Lazy laid-back with no sign of ambition. The fact that he could attempt to raise a rebellion doesn't mean he would like to do that. He seems to be perfectly OK as long as his battles are thrilling, the incomes are enough and the beer is cold.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 am

Like any legend or rumor, the story is changed and exaggerated each time it's passed down through different generations. That would explain pretty much why Vegeta explained the legend the way he did on Namek. Plus I never really took what Vegeta said seriously, I always figured it was just some diluted story with prospects of truth that were poisoned by fiction as time progressed.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am

I agree.
Actually, considering the legend all comes from Freezer's clan, the Super Saiyan IS a blood-thirsty nightmare in the eyes of Chilled, isn't it? That explains why the legend describes the Super Saiyan as so horrible: it's horrible from the perspective of Freezer's clan, yet was passed on as a horrifying threat to anybody hearing about the legend.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 am

The fact that this inhabitants reminded me a frog from my childhood show also didn't help.
Yes, this too.
Like any legend or rumor, the story is changed and exaggerated each time it's passed down through different generations. That would explain pretty much why Vegeta explained the legend the way he did on Namek. Plus I never really took what Vegeta said seriously, I always figured it was just some diluted story with prospects of truth that were poisoned by fiction as time progressed.
It makes perfect sense considering we are talking about a saiyan here. While I never got the impression Bardock was a ruthless blood thirsty bastard, he did probably spend his entire life killing innocent inhabitants of whatever planet he was sent to. And now he feels compassion.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:27 am

penguintruth wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I really liked the special a-lot. Just so I know this is just a What if movie correct?
Officialy, it's a direct sequel to the Bardock special. It's canon for me (the manga vesrion to the manga, the anime version to the anime). I don't see a reason why not.
Because it's way too much to ask the audience to believe a low-class warrior like Bardock can become a Super Saiyan. Now, yes, Goku became one despite being low class, but that was after training under 100x gravity and a few big zenkais, plus the death of Kuririn. If Bardock were to become a Super Saiyan, you'd think it would be when he faced Freeza. And the audience is also expected to believe Freeza's blasts cause time travel. What is he, Darkseid? And what happens to Bardock from here? He lives a peaceful life with these friendly aliens for forty or fifty more years until dying of natural causes? Please.
But crazy scientists that can create robots many times stronger than Super Saiyans, the stronger warriors in the universe, makes sence? Come on, Dragon Ball never made sence. We also don't know how much stronger Bardock became from the zenkai he got from Freeza's blast, and we don't know the exact battle power needed to become Super Saiyan. I believe that it wasn't Freeza's blast that sent Bardock to the past, but Planet Vegeta's explosion ripped space and time and sent Bardock back then. Not being canon because it doesn't make much scense to you isn't a good excuse.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:35 am

Michsi wrote:And now he feels compassion.
This. Why has he become nicer? I do think that he was just a ruthless bastard until he was killed (not in this story though) by Freeza. He learnt some kind of compassion through the deaths of his team members, but that's all. He fought for his pride and the destiny of the Saiyan race, but he was thinking about nothing more than that, and was still selfish just like other Saiyans. I don't understand why such a man changed his mind so quickly in this story.
Last edited by kei17 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 am

Bardock tail should be yellow, and he can basically turn ssj4 now lol.
Didnt really like this animation and story looked cheap, and ihope they use the Ultimate Tenkachi opening animation next time, its close to the orginal animation.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:43 am

shinmaru wrote:Bardock tail should be yellow
The tail turns golden in SSJ3 only.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 am

This whole special does bring a interesting point about the Tsufruians. This means they are not native to the planet either and they probably conquered it. This means they are not innocent either, so the fact that they get exterminated and their plans for revenge foiled twice, is not that bad.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:04 am

DNA wrote:This whole special does bring a interesting point about the Tsufruians. This means they are not native to the planet either and they probably conquered it. This means they are not innocent either, so the fact that they get exterminated and their plans for revenge foiled twice, is not that bad.
Or maybe Tsufruians are natives, but after discovering the Plantians, they killed them, like in real life with the Indians. We only saw a small village of a huge planet in the special.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:16 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
DNA wrote:This whole special does bring a interesting point about the Tsufruians. This means they are not native to the planet either and they probably conquered it. This means they are not innocent either, so the fact that they get exterminated and their plans for revenge foiled twice, is not that bad.
Or maybe Tsufruians are natives, but after discovering the Plantians, they killed them, like in real life with the Indians. We only saw a small village of a huge planet in the special.
Either option ends with them having blood in their hands, so yeah. For a race so hell-bent on revenge, either by annihilating a whole planet's population or subjugating the whole universe via mind control, I knew they couldn't be innocent, they are as horrible as the Saiyans, just not has ruthless. It's like they are the Eloi and the Saiyans are the Morlocks.

AceSharp
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AceSharp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
shinmaru wrote:Bardock tail should be yellow
The tail turns golden in SSJ3 only.
This, I dislike.

It's lazy animating. Surely, if your hair turns golden, all your hair turns golden...