DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: DragonBall Z Kai - Cable TV Version (NickToons)

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:It's clever marketing on FUNi's part to make 97 an online exclusive, and 98 a DVD exclusive even though for the latter they're copying what Toei did.
Are we sure this FUNi's decision? Not saying that theory isn't true either. But, you never know.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 pm

Wow, they mixed Gohan's SSJ2 scream better in the recap. It sounds freaking amazing. o_O

spaceace998

Post by spaceace998 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 pm

My two cents on the past few episodes: Goku's death scene was very well acted. The choice in music definitely helped the emotionality of the scene, unlike the Super Saiyan 2 transformation. Also, Gohan's final scream finishing off Cell is amazing. I am, however, a little disappointed that the Japanese "Dragon Soul" was left in episode 97. I mean, the only thing that's different about its use as an insert song is another chorus in a different key. Surely dubbing it wasn't too out of the realm of possibility.
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 pm

The music placement in episode 96 is excellent. So were Gohan's screams.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 am

... There's seriously a Charlie Sheen nod from Mr. Satan in episode 97.

I don't even...

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:35 am

I find it very clever how Nicktoons advertised the online exclusive episode. Trying to make everyone think it would be ep.98. Very anti-climatic. Just to make everyone wait another 3+ months for the DVD/BD release.

Ep. 98 Preview added to my signature.

Oh yeah, I guess I'll mention it now since I'm not rushing to try to be the first to put up all the Nicktoons Promos on YT, the codes they gave you in the TV broadcast were messed up. Well, the codes were fine, it's how they had them set up on their website. All the codes, no matter which one you submitted, opened up that days "Sneak Peek." As long as you had the first days or any days code, you could watch the video.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:46 am

"I'll be back guys! So make sure you wait for me!"

Oh, how I wish. :cry:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:23 am

Wow, where have I been? I didn't even know this thread existed...

Anyway, really loving all audio in these last few episodes. The only thing I'm not too thrilled about is Trunks and Ox King, but thankfully the second is only in it for a scene or two. I just don't understand why they called for the grit with Trunks...its so unnatural sounding. It's not like Vale's normal voice sounds too old.

Also, am I the only one that preferred the music choice for the Super Saiyan 2 transformation? I've never been a fan of insert songs, particularly the one that was used in the past. I liked the subtlety this one offered. My only problem would be that it's kind of an ordinary piece, and I'm pretty sure it's been used before for less-than-spectacular events.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:36 am

"King Kai's back to normal thanks to Shenron"?

What?

Is that a censored line for "back to life"? But he's shown dead right there in that same freaking shot! Was that in the Japanese version as well?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:54 am

Also, is it just me, or do some of Clarke's screams sound a little like Voldemort?

Cacarot

Post by Cacarot » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:06 am

batistabus wrote:Also, is it just me, or do some of Clarke's screams sound a little like Voldemort?

Yea he did hahaha!

Omg, these episodes were so touching I almost cried. It felt like DBZ ended all over again. The voice acting was superb.The music placement amazing. Thank God for the new Funimation dub and hopefully one day you will be back Goku. I'll be waiting.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:32 am

I'm shocked they didn't remove the halos in episode 95.

The GREAT D.

Post by The GREAT D. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:42 am

cloud1414 wrote:I'm shocked they didn't remove the halos in episode 95.
They only edit those in the Toonzai version. Nicktoons has always left in the halos.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:44 am

The GREAT D. wrote:
cloud1414 wrote:I'm shocked they didn't remove the halos in episode 95.
They only edit those in the Toonzai version. Nicktoons has always left in the halos.
Oh sorry about that.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:20 am

Mr. Satan: "Boom! Winning!" :lol: Oh, Funimation, there's no way that's a coincidence.

Ani-Nation7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ani-Nation7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:57 am

Nicktoons commercial quite a few people were asking me for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj6IMLZ6fo

They've also made ads like these for their other action shows (Voltron, Iron Man, and Avatar)

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:55 am

I am disappointed that Episode 98 wasn't an online exclusive and now we need to wait for the DVD/Blu-rays to come out to see it.

Episode 96 was really fantastic. Everybody brought their A game and the music placement was really good. I really did enjoy Daemon Clarke's performance as a whole except for a few rough patches.

I still think the ending of Episode 97 when Trunks was leaving is rushed and I couldn't stand hearing Trunks' voice again.

It was a fun ride to see Dragon Ball get a proper dub and hearing some of the new excellent voices such as Chris Ayres as Freeza.
Last edited by PuppetDoctor on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:10 am

Episode 96 was well done... I just need to find 97 somewhere since the nicktoons website is unavailable in my area :(

But is it just me or were a lot of lines in 96 taken directly from the first funimation dub ? :P

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:51 am

I'm surprised now that Episode 97 itself is now actually getting a broadcast date on January 1st. Nicktoons didn't even air a "Next Episode Preview" for 97 last night. Some of you here saw it on the website, so I'm guessing there wasn't one with that video either.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am

Samwize78 wrote:I'm surprised now that Episode 97 itself is now actually getting a broadcast date on January 1st. Nicktoons didn't even air a "Next Episode Preview" for 97 last night. Some of you here saw it on the website, so I'm guessing there wasn't one with that video either.
I watched Episode 96 and 97 on Nicktoons website and they both had a Next Episode Preview. I am not sure about the broadcast on Nicktoons though since I don't get that station but if it didn't air the NEP that is interesting.

I did think it was strange though to play the NEP for Episode 98 with the broadcast title font since that episode seems to be a DVD/Blu-ray exclusive episode but I am glad I got to see it.