DragonBall Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

email2003
Beyond Newbie

DragonBall Dub

Post by email2003 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:51 pm

I've been thinking about this the whole time and wanted to ask how close is the dub version of DragonBall to the Japanese version? Good, bad, or not even close like the dialouge in DBZ?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: DragonBall Dub

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

email2003 wrote:I've been thinking about this the whole time and wanted to ask how close is the dub version of DragonBall to the Japanese version? Good, bad, or not even close like the dialouge in DBZ?
It's better than Z and GT, but nowhere near Kai.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm

It's pretty on par with the Cell Games/Boo arc Z dub. It's fairly accurate in terms of dialouge with more than a few "where did that come from?" lines scattered about. A lot of jokes are changed into different jokes, jokes are added and removed at what seems to be random. More of the dirty stuff is toned down. The worst offender is the terribly done sterotypical accents a few of the characters have (Nam, Red and Murasaki off the top of my head).

The Pilaf arc much like the Saiyan/Namek arc redubs borrows heavily from old innacurate scripts.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Doesn't really matter if it's accurate. What does matter is, if you enjoy it.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:21 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Doesn't really matter if it's accurate. What does matter is, if you enjoy it.
...And accuracy may factor into his enjoyment of it.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Doesn't really matter if it's accurate. What does matter is, if you enjoy it.
...And accuracy may factor into his enjoyment of it.
Not to mention asking about script accuracy alone doesn't mean you have any personal emotional stake in the answer. It could just be a matter of curiosity. When I asked my friend about the new Spider-Man movie costumes accuracy to the comic I wasn't seeking validation on a previous opinion, I just want a vuage aproximation for a mental picture.
Last edited by Akumaito Beam on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:48 pm

When someone is asking if it's accurate, it does.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:40 pm

It's average. It's decently accurate, but you still have to deal with some mediocre performances from a few VAs.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

And you didn't give a reply to the thread starter. Seriously, do you try to only provoke half of the time here?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

sangofe wrote:
And you didn't give a reply to the thread starter. Seriously, do you try to only provoke half of the time here?
He's that type of person.

I found it to be a very decent dub, better than FUNi's DBZ Dub, though not as brilliant/accurate as Z Kai is but you'll find yourself to enjoy the dub very much.

FUNimation even kindly dubbed the OP's and ED's to English. Lovely.

Dragon Ball Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1Dp69D7q0
Dragon Ball Ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTlLXX2iVY

Nicktoons should air Dragon Ball after they're done with GT.

There's a couple of episodes (2-3) that Dr. Sembei, Arale, Suppaman, Akane, Obotchoman (if I correctly remember) and few others appear too, plus the BGM used is from Arale's series'.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:32 pm

It's mostly ok. Though the early eps Funimation was kinda lazy on and kept a lot of the old dub's scripts, which cause some confusion later.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 am

Personally I really enjoy the FUNi dub of Dragon Ball. Although I haven't gone back particularly often to check how accurate it is to the Japanese version, I've heard from many that it is, and its VAs do a good job of conveying their characters. Additionally, stuff like the original music and vastly superior narrator (to Zs) make it a pretty strong dub in my opinion.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 am

I'm not really fond of it that much but in terms of accuracy and presentation, it's more accurate than the 90s-era Z dub. But it still has its fair share of dirty stuff watered down and reversioned dialogue from time to time.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 am

It's about the same level of accuracy as other FUNimation dubs from the beginning of the century -- not all that accurate, but not completely off like the Z dub either. If I recall correctly, it was in about 2006 or so that FUNimation started doing accurate dubs as opposed to looser ones.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I forgot to add that Brice Armstrong is an excellent narrator.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Guys thanks for redirecting me.
Now, I really agree with UnbiasedDBZfan. It's really about how much you enjoy it. The Japanese voices are incredible. However, I personally enjoy listening to the English voices more. I feel like I can just relax and watch the serious/tongue in cheek feel that the dub gives. So, in the end, I adore the Japanese voices during the major battles, but prefer the English voices for any dialogue. It just works fine. Like I said before, you really don't know what you're missing if you grew up with the English one first.

I had first seen Dragon Ball in Japanese during the Cell arc. When I first saw the Ocean dub of the saiyan arc, the fact that Tien's arm didn't bleed or that Nappa didn't kill the reporters had 0 effect on how much I enjoyed the actual story.

I've decided to show my nephew the dub.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Aoi wrote:
Now, I really agree with UnbiasedDBZfan. It's really about how much you enjoy it. The Japanese voices are incredible. However, I personally enjoy listening to the English voices more. I feel like I can just relax and watch the serious/tongue in cheek feel that the dub gives. So, in the end, I adore the Japanese voices during the major battles, but prefer the English voices for any dialogue. It just works fine. Like I said before, you really don't know what you're missing if you grew up with the English one first.

I had first seen Dragon Ball in Japanese during the Cell arc. When I first saw the Ocean dub of the saiyan arc, the fact that Tenshinhan's arm didn't bleed or that Nappa didn't kill the reporters had 0 effect on how much I enjoyed the actual story.

Thanks, but you're from Argentina right? Don't you have access to a pretty well acted Latin Spanish dub? I.E arguably the best version of DB? According to Youtube, the stereotype is that Latin and even Latin-Americans DESPISE the Funimation dub. Almost all hate on Faulconer and Funimation dubbed videos are from people from either from Mexico or a Latin American country(Besides Brazil of course who are slightly fairer, but that isn't saying anything.) I was just wondering why a Latino would watch the Funi dub?
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:44 pm

However, I personally enjoy listening to the English voices more. I feel like I can just relax and watch the serious/tongue in cheek feel that the dub gives
I found the English dub was TOO tongue and check personally and none of it was really funny and fell flat. I loved watching seemingly natural dialogue between the characters in Japanese especially by Nozawa who was at her very best as child Goku and the Turtle Hermit is at his best here too. I loved Miyauchi Kouhei's perfomance so much both during his serious and lecherous moments!
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:48 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:
However, I personally enjoy listening to the English voices more. I feel like I can just relax and watch the serious/tongue in cheek feel that the dub gives
I found the English dub was TOO tongue and check personally and none of it was really funny and fell flat. I loved watching seemingly natural dialogue between the characters in Japanese especially by Nozawa who was at her very best as child Goku and the Turtle Hermit is at his best here too. I loved Miyauchi Kouhei's perfomance so much both during his serious and lecherous moments!
RIP Miyauchi Kouhei
1929-1995

The Roshi in GT is shit!! Seriously and he's not fun as well. And the Roshi in Dragon Fist Explosion's Pichi, Pichi isn't quite as funny and awesome!

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
Aoi wrote:

I had first seen Dragon Ball in Japanese during the Cell arc. When I first saw the Ocean dub of the saiyan arc, the fact that Tenshinhan's arm didn't bleed or that Nappa didn't kill the reporters had 0 effect on how much I enjoyed the actual story.

Thanks, but you're from Argentina right? Don't you have access to a pretty well acted Latin Spanish dub? I.E arguably the best version of DB? According to Youtube, the stereotype is that Latin and even Latin-Americans DESPISE the Funimation dub. Almost all hate on Faulconer and Funimation dubbed videos are from people from either from Mexico or a Latin American country(Besides Brazil of course who are slightly fairer, but that isn't saying anything.) I was just wondering why a Latino would watch the Funi dub?
Oh jeez, I grew up all over. The Spanish dub is pretty near a masterpiece. The translations were nearly perfect too. One of the great things about hispanic voice actors is how serious they take the material that is presented to them. I realized that English dubs of any show tend to make characters sound more "wacky"/"Out of this world". If you listen to Vegeta/Goku/Krillin in the Spanish dub, they sound like normal people who you could meet any day of your life.
- edited