Young Master Roshi?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Young Master Roshi?

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

In the 22nd Budokai, and correct me if I'm wrong, Roshi fights Tenshinhan and says something about youth. Does that mean that if he was younger, he could have fought Tenshinhan better?

Fox666
I Live Here

Re: Young Master Roshi?

Post by Fox666 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 pm

He says something about the new generation. However he probably trained through the course of his life so he probably got a lot better. Besides I don't know how much youth matters for a 300 years old guy.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Fox666 wrote:He says something about the new generation. However he probably trained through the course of his life so he probably got a lot better. Besides I don't know how much youth matters for a 300 years old guy.
Stamina? Roshi says that after goku destroys the rr army, he couldn't fight him cause of his stmina.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Is this the line in question?
Chapter: 123, P13.5
Kame-sennin: “What a guy…He took my technique head-on…He’s got power far greater than I imagined…Like I thought, a new generation of young people is on its way…”
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 pm

Bussani wrote:Is this the line in question?
Chapter: 123, P13.5
Kame-sennin: “What a guy…He took my technique head-on…He’s got power far greater than I imagined…Like I thought, a new generation of young people is on its way…”
Probably. I have a fanslation, so mine is something like"what power, oh youth"

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:10 pm

I suppose a better example of age causing a difference in strength might be Piccolo Daimao.
Chapter: 144, P9.2-3
Pilaf: “Um, hey…So if he regains his youth, he’ll be even more amazing…?”
Piano: “Naturally. So much so that there’ll be no comparison [to how he is now].”

Chapter: 147, P12.1
Piccolo: “Restore my youth! [Restore me] to that time when I was most overflowing with power!”
I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine that Roshi could have been more powerful at some point in his prime, but we can't say for sure.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Hmm... and Namekians generally seem to retain power in old age better than humans (just look at how decrepit the average ordinary human gets past age 80 or so), considering that even old Piccolo was pretty strong, and so was Kami, and even Guru (fat and immobile as he was) had to be pretty strong in terms of ki to be giving birth to children as powerful as Nail was.

Yeah, that kinda makes me wonder if a younger Roshi could have gotten a lot stronger than the Roshi we know, if only Mutaito hadn't died when he did (or if he had access to some more unusual training methods before he got so old... afterlife training, gravity training, etc...)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Bussani wrote:I suppose a better example of age causing a difference in strength might be Piccolo Daimao.
(...)
I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine that Roshi could have been more powerful at some point in his prime, but we can't say for sure.
Piccolo was sealed, so he did not train or anything.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Fox666 wrote:
Bussani wrote:I suppose a better example of age causing a difference in strength might be Piccolo Daimao.
(...)
Piccolo was sealed, so he did not train or anything.
I don't think roshi trained all that much before goku showed up also. His whole life prolly consisted of watching exercise channel.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 am

Fox666 wrote:Piccolo was sealed, so he did not train or anything.
Yeah, I'm sure that was a factor. But would Daimao have been able to get back to his youthful level with training alone? I'm not sure.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 am

When Kame-sennin is telling Goku & co. about Piccolo doesn't he says that Piccolo was so strong that not even their younger selves (Tsuru-sennin and Kame-senni) but even their master couldn't defeat him?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35 am

Senzu_Bean wrote:When Kame-sennin is telling Goku & co. about Piccolo doesn't he says that Piccolo was so strong that not even their younger selves (Tsuru-sennin and Kame-senni) but even their master couldn't defeat him?
Strength Checker says yes:
Chapter: 135, P6.1
Kame-sennin: “Despite the cute name, he was an outrageously fearsome person…His strength was extremely overwhelming…[ ] He was an opponent we were utterly unable to oppose; not only my younger self or Tsuru-sennin, but even our master, Mutaito. ”

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 am

Kame-sennin may've retained or even surpassed the power he had when he was in his prime, but may not have been able to use it to its fullest extent because he was still old and less in shape than his younger self, which may be why he said that not even he and Tsuru-sennin's younger selves and their master, Mutaito, couldn't defeat Daimao.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.