Namek and Android arcs (Kuichi): Kai dub or DBZ dub?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Namek and Android arcs (Kuichi): Kai dub or DBZ dub?

Post by Aoi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Which show's version (dub) is superior during the Namek and Android arcs?

Dragon Ball Z (FUNI English dub) or Dragon Ball Z KAI (FUNI, again)
Last edited by Aoi on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Re: Namek and Android arcs (Kuichi): Kai dub or DBZ dub?

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Depends what you means by 'DBZ dub.' There are several. Anyway I prefer the Kai dub for Namek of course, because of the voices are overall better and the Android arcs because of the same reason.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 am

In terms of accuracy Kai without a shadow of a doubt. The Namek dub was based on those old Saban era scripts and the Android arc is pretty par for the course in terms of the complete silliness in the Z dub pre-Cell Games.

In terms of voices I don't care for either so I can't really weigh in.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:08 pm

While Namek has a nostalgia factor for me, the voice work for Kai is infinitely better for both. I still prefer the Faulconer music to Kikuchi, and Yamamoto is somewhere in the middle. Just glad I snagged the Kai sets before they got discontinued.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Kind of a dumb question. The Kai dub blows the Z dub out of the water completely.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:20 pm

penguintruth wrote:Kind of a dumb question. The Kai dub blows the Z dub out of the water completely.
Not precisely(Well not to some people, anyway). There are people who'd rather have smoker Gohan, then screechy Gohan. There are people who'd rather have super constipated, grunting Namekian warrior, then a lesser constipated grunting ogre. There are some people who'd rather have bored Android 18, then bitchy, high pitched android 18. There are some people who'd rather have no emotion 16, then 16 with personality. To make a long story short, some people love the old voices. Plain and simple.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Not precisely(Well not to some people, anyway). There are people who'd rather have smoker Gohan, then screechy Gohan. There are people who'd rather have super constipated, grunting Namekian warrior, then a lesser constipated grunting ogre. There are some people who'd rather have bored Android 18, then bitchy, high pitched android 18. There are some people who'd rather have no emotion 16, then 16 with personality. To make a long story short, some people love the old voices. Plain and simple.
You mean to tell me the world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum? Different strokes to different folks? Man.

But yeah, penguintruth is right, Kai is an overall superior dubbing effort. The script alone tops whatever was in Z.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:51 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Not precisely(Well not to some people, anyway). There are people who'd rather have smoker Gohan, then screechy Gohan. There are people who'd rather have super constipated, grunting Namekian warrior, then a lesser constipated grunting ogre. There are some people who'd rather have bored Android 18, then bitchy, high pitched android 18. There are some people who'd rather have no emotion 16, then 16 with personality. To make a long story short, some people love the old voices. Plain and simple.
You mean to tell me the world doesn't move to the beat of just one drum? Different strokes to different folks? Man.

But yeah, penguintruth is right, Kai is an overall superior dubbing effort. The script alone tops whatever was in Z.
The voices are better(especially 16's and King Cold's), but I could care less about the script(although it is better) I however prefer the BFP music as you already know and the Kikuchi mix isn't helping either

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:53 pm

I prefer Meredith McCoy's 18 to Colleen Clinkenbeard's, and the directorial choice for Eric Vale's Trunks to be so constantly grunty was a huge mistake. That said, other than that it's no contest: Kai all the way.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:57 pm

bkev wrote:I prefer Meredith McCoy's 18 to Colleen Clinkenbeard's, and the directorial choice for Eric Vale's Trunks to be so constantly grunty was a huge mistake. That said, other than that it's no contest: Kai all the way.
Yeah, he sounds irritated all the time. Ironically, Vale is by far the best actor in Season 4 and THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!!

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm

I was thinking more like: "Which show's version is more enjoyable to watch?"

This includes
- Pacing
- Music
- General feelings when watching each show's presentation of essentially the same over all story.

In a way, I'm asking if you'd rather watch the old ones by yourself (original dub, Falconer, more filler) than Kai's version (fast pace, more adult script, Kikuchi ...or Yamamoto's original version).

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

I remember even back when I originally watched dbz i thought namek's pacing was horrible. Kai makes this saga much more tolerable.

email2003
Beyond Newbie

Post by email2003 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Kai has the best dub and the voices were much better. I watch those sagas in Z and good lord the voices were flat out horrible. Vegeta's voice was terrible during the Namek - Buu sagas but was improved in Kai. The same goes for Piccolo.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm

The Kai dub has better voices overall, even Sabat's terrible Vegeta and Piccolo are less terrible(Although that barely means anything). Yeah as you may have noticed I have a HUGE bias(My name is Bizarro if you noticed, so the people claiming I'm a hypocrite are wrong) against Chris Sabat. But the better music is the Faulconer score FOR ME no question. EVEN THE MEGA MAN MUSIC IS BETTER IMO(People are wondering how can you know about the earlier 2nd Ocean dub if you're from Canada? Well it's called Youtube, look it up!) Speaking of Earlier Ocean dub, the voices in that were not as good as Seasons 1 and 2, but still a might bit better then the Funimation dubs(at that point at least)

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:52 am

Kai all the way. Dialogue is changed so much in the Namek arc of the first dub. They even make up their own logic.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:55 pm

*looks at title*

Kuichi? Do you mean Kikuchi?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:00 pm

penguintruth wrote:Kind of a dumb question. The Kai dub blows the Z dub out of the water completely.
I would still say the Kai dub is better, but how much better varies according to the saga in question. I think depending on what point in the series we're in, the Kai dub doesn't necessarily "blow the Z dub out of the water," so much as it just surpasses it. I still think the Season 1 and 2 redubs are reasonably good. The script was decent, and a lot of the acting was good too. Heck, even the first three DBZ movies, which were dubbed last by the FUNimation in-house cast, can stand toe-to-toe with the Pioneer/Ocean dubs of those movies as far as acting quality is concerned (although I still give the edge to the Pioneer/Ocean dubs because they had the better scripts). Everything from Season 3 and on, though, the Kai dub easily blows the Z dub out of the water.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I would still say the Kai dub is better, but how much better varies according to the saga in question. I think depending on what point in the series we're in, the Kai dub doesn't necessarily "blow the Z dub out of the water," so much as it just surpasses it.
I agree with this 100%. The Saiyan and Namek sagas of the DragonBall Z dub are pretty decent. Even though some of the dialogue may be changed around slightly it doesn't mean the plot is. I remember once I went back and watched the English track on Dragon Box One and found the scripts between those episodes and Kai to be surprisingly similar.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Aoi, I just noticed you wrote "Kuichi" and it's supposed to be Shunsuke Kikuchi (Kikuchi).

I know English DBZ fans have a hard time pronouncing and writing his name but come on, it's not that hard.

Kuririn's name's a bit more complex than Kikuchi, for English/American speakers, I'd say.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Samwize78 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I would still say the Kai dub is better, but how much better varies according to the saga in question. I think depending on what point in the series we're in, the Kai dub doesn't necessarily "blow the Z dub out of the water," so much as it just surpasses it.
I agree with this 100%. The Saiyan and Namek sagas of the DragonBall Z dub are pretty decent. Even though some of the dialogue may be changed around slightly it doesn't mean the plot is. I remember once I went back and watched the English track on Dragon Box One and found the scripts between those episodes and Kai to be surprisingly similar.
Yeah, but the redub of the first two seasons is still plagued with annoying little one-liners like "I call it a 'Double Sunday'" and "I think you've been dipping into the eggnog. Allow me to show you off the island." The plot itself might still be left intact (no more "your father was a brilliant scientist" lines), but, in my opinion, both the voice acting and the script itself for Z Kai is a huge improvement over that of the Z redub.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA