Ever feel like it's difficult to return to the English dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Ever feel like it's difficult to return to the English d

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 am

Well to be more specific the Ocean dub isn't the best but the Ocean dubs for the Cell and Buu arcs are just plain shit.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 am

For me, To put it in terms of credit ratings, Ocean would be CAA, Funimation 1st time would be BB- (Both "Junk" status) and Funimation Kai would be ABB ("Investment grade", but not AAA+).
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am

ringworm128 wrote:I prefer the Japanese version but that doesn't mean I don't like the dub. I'm not very picky so the dialog and acting doesn't bother me. I think the voices fit well with the characters (yes even Linda Young as Freeza, Sean Schemmel as King Kai and Stephanie Nadalony as Gohan). Most peoples biggest complaint about the dub is that its cheesy and watered down but for me that's more reason to sometimes watch the dub, sometimes I don't want to watch The Dark Knight while I eat a fine meal with an exquisite drink, sometimes I just want to watch Batman Forever while I eat Skittles and drink Mountain Dew (if you get my point). Even though a few scenes were changed drastically for the most part the dialog gets the same point across as the original despite being cheesed/watered down so it annoys me when people say things like "you can barely tell its DBZ from all the changes". As for the Funi/Ocean dub I haven't seen much but I stay clear of it since the voice acting is so over the top that it's like something you would hear in a DBZ parody or from a bunch of friends doing DBZ voice impressions for shits and giggles. And the dialog is over written and over cheesy even for my tastes. Though the voices them selves are pretty good if only they could have gotten a better director. The Westwood Media/Ocean dub is complete crap the less I have to watch it the better. The acting is horrible even by my standards its like something out of a mediocre fandub. All the lines either sound akward, pathetic, like they delivered it in one take or all the above. Most of the voices are bland/generic or lot their touch from the Saban era. I would go as far to say the AB Group dub (Big Green dub) is better then the Westwood dub. As for Kai its fantastic in English. It has great voice acting, great scripts and great casting. Kai in English is awesome and I will take it over Kai in Japanese any time.
I was a bot confused by what you meant with liking the dub, but then finding the "Ocean/FUNI" dubs bad to watch. Were you originally talking about Dragon Ball in another language?

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I have no problem watching the Funi's dub (Z) or the original Japanese. I grew up with them mostly side by side (Saiyan and Frieza saga more Ocean Dub, though) so both sound kinda natural to me.

I CAN'T watch Dragonball OR GT with the dub. For GT, I can't tell if it's the actually acting/script or that plus the horrendous music. The English score gives me headaches. :shock:

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Necrosaber wrote:I have no problem watching the Funi's dub (Z) or the original Japanese. I grew up with them mostly side by side (Saiyan and Freeza saga more Ocean Dub, though) so both sound kinda natural to me.

I CAN'T watch Dragonball OR GT with the dub. For GT, I can't tell if it's the actually acting/script or that plus the horrendous music. The English score gives me headaches. :shock:
Jesus, the Menza score? Yeah it makes the show unwatchable. Music is huge and it makes a 6/10 show (for me) , a 1/10 show. That is unforgivable in my eyes. Though I don't think I'd mind GT in English with the Japanese score. I don't know about Goku's voice though. Nozawa is too brilliant (even in GT).

She absolutely nails her lines. One of my favourites is when Goku lifts up with the Genki Dama, and tells Yi Xing Long that he's not going to die until he defeats him. I can't really describe it, but her delivery always sent chills down my spine. One of GT's great moments, for sure. English version can't even begin to touch this.
Last edited by Aoi on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 pm

I gotta say, I am thankful for the Japanese version. Other than the occasional episode when I lived in Japan, I never properly saw the entire series until a few years ago. When I first bought the bricks, I remember buying it to show my girl at the time "this cheesy show that I loved as a kid/teen". I expected my enjoyment of it to be much less than it originally was. I mean, to me, Transformers (G1)/ Ninja Turtles types are basically unwatchable for me.

However, the Japanese version really reignited my interest in this franchise. It made me experience it on another level. It made me fall in love with the show all over again.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Aoi wrote:
Necrosaber wrote:I have no problem watching the Funi's dub (Z) or the original Japanese. I grew up with them mostly side by side (Saiyan and Freeza saga more Ocean Dub, though) so both sound kinda natural to me.

She absolutely nails her lines. One of my favourites is when Goku lifts up with the Genki Dama, and tells Yi Xing Long that he's not going to die until he defeats him. I can't really describe it, but her delivery always sent chills down my spine. One of GT's great moments, for sure. English version can't even begin to touch this.
I get all tingly with that scene. Even though the Genki Dama seems overdone, it was probably my favorite one. Goku holding it strong and unwavering. Everyone looking at him like a god. DAT MUSIC. Just felt epic.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Aoi wrote:
I was a bot confused by what you meant with liking the dub, but then finding the "Ocean/FUNI" dubs bad to watch. Were you originally talking about Dragon Ball in another language?
When I said I like the dub I was talking about the in house Funimation dub. When I put Funi/Ocean I was talking about the old 1996 dub, the one that was made by Funimation (with help from Saban) but used Ocean Studio voice actors.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Ironically as...pumped up as Funi made the dub I feel the best way to enjoy it is not to take it too seriously (just like the original version.) I totally think Funi's script was winking at the older crowd at a fairly regular rate. I understand why someone wouldn't like it, for sure. I just think it's fun in a silly, ironic kinda way.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am

Does anyone else here feel that Ocean's dub seemed more serious than Funimation's? I haven't seen enough of Ocean's dub lately to make a decision on this but got that impression after watching a few clips. I love my dragon ball serious with the jokes being spread out appropriately. This is why I love Funi's Kai dub. However, I can't put my finger on why I feel Funi's dub sounds so wacky.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Again, are we talking about Ocean's dub of the first 53 edited episodes, or episodes 123/108 onwards?
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Corporate_Nothing wrote:Again, are we talking about Ocean's dub of the first 53 edited episodes, or episodes 123/108 onwards?
First batch actually. Though I did watch their inferior dub (eps 123/108) and they seemed to take the FUNI scripts more seriously than FUNI. Generally, except for Vegeta, it always seemed like their characters were less "cartoony" than FUNI's, who were all exaggerated versions of the Ocean voices. There are many examples.

FUNI: Piccolo, Krillin, Frieza- they all seemed so over the top.
Don't get me wrong, I actually love FUNI's VA for Krillin, but his performance is still seemed geared towards kids more than Ocean's version of the voice. Even Ocean's King Kai was a "subtle wacky", while FUNI's King Kai is basically an all out clown. Same goes for the Ginyu Force too, but that's an obvious example of how FUNI and Ocean got it different.

The interesting thing is that the Spanish version of the show still kept the "wackiness" in tact, but the characters sounded like normal people. Most dubs did actually.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm sorry but I fail to see how you find Sonny Strait more over-the-top than Terry Klassen. The latter Ocean dub episodes seemed incredibly cartoony to me, at least from the clips I've listened to. Then again, for that matter, FUNimation's does too. Just I think Ocean moreso.

Examples: Mr. Satan, Videl, Adult Gohan, Trunks (for sure... generic macho-man), the Androids, but... mainly Terry Klassen as Kuririn is the most cartoony voice.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Honestly, I have to agree with the above poster. The Ocean dub had it's moments, especially with the soundtrack, but some of the acting was just painful. Every time I think of the dub, I think of this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFx95Gi_j-I
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Fionordequester wrote:Honestly, I have to agree with the above poster. The Ocean dub had it's moments, especially with the soundtrack, but some of the acting was just painful. Every time I think of the dub, I think of this clip...

Jesus, that is bad; painful actually.

However, for every scene like that one, you get this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfczmK2w8Oo

Same with FUNI. For every good scene, you get Sabat screaming: "Gohan's dead Goku. He's DEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD". :lol:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 pm

I love watching the first 53 episode of the ocean dub plus their first 3 movies. and I love watching the entire series sometimes in Japanese sometimes in English. My friends ask me all the time ''How do you watch all those versions and not pick your favorite version to stick too?'' If anyone knows me on here then they know I like the Funimation dub. I don't see nothing wrong with that. But I also like to switch it up, I've watched the entire Z franchise in Japanese, and I love it just as much as I do the English if not more. but here lately I have been watching more of the Japanese side than what I have the English.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:54 pm

(Points to quote)

What's funny is that even Funimation's head VA isn't fond of the first DBZ dub. :lol:
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Aoi wrote:Same with FUNI. For every good scene, you get Sabat screaming: "Gohan's dead Goku. He's DEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD". :lol:
I thought that one was pretty good, all things considered.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Aoi wrote:
Fionordequester wrote:Honestly, I have to agree with the above poster. The Ocean dub had it's moments, especially with the soundtrack, but some of the acting was just painful. Every time I think of the dub, I think of this clip...

Jesus, that is bad; painful actually.
I don't see what's so painful about it. The guy can scream which is more than I can say for Sabat.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Difficult? It's flat out IMPOSSIBLE for me. I pretty much underwent a permenant baptism once I found out about the original Japanese version.

As for the question Aoi posted. No. I don't think the Ocean dub was any more serious than Funimation's. Both had several instances of godawful punch up humor and terrible voice acting, taking away any ability to take them seriously.