Episode #0289 (19 February 2012)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0289 (19 February 2012)

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Episode #0289 (download MP3) (rss feed) (subscribe in iTunes)
59:07; 96 kbps, mono; 40.9 MB

Episode #0289! VegettoEX and Julian cover two weeks worth of fascinating news (FUNimation Dragon Box survey, upcoming "Episode of Bardock" reprint, and more!) before diving in to the "Dragon Ball Online" timeline. Thanks to Herms' new translation, we have a pretty detailed back-history for the game in English. Does it tell a compelling story, and does it make us want to hunker down and actually play the darn thing? Referenced sites:
Ta-dah! It's a show. We talk about awesome stuff this week. And if you don't like it, we're giving away free stuff... so... nyah.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Episode #0289 (19 February 2012)

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Oh man, I would love if the next new Dragon Ball animated feature was "The Legend of Satan".

Also, I've never heard the Dragon Ball Online timeline like this, as a whole. I've just known of a few bits and pieces, this was pretty awesome. Thanks!
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Actually, Piccolo isn't too old (at least in appearance) in Dragon Ball Online.

Nonetheless, I really love this timeline stuff. Come on Toei, make a new TV series!

NANLIT
Beyond Newbie

Post by NANLIT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am

Perhaps Piccolo not doing anything about his siblings is a homage to how Kami didn't do anything about Piccolo Daimao during his 2 reigns despite Kami being the one responsible for Piccolo Daimao's existence.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 am

Absolutely fantastic episode guys! :) I'm loving the Dragonball Online content. I love Buu's wife ''Boobie''? :lol: I just love the stories that explains each class absolutely awesomeness :) Also I love the fact that some of the characters are creating martial arts schools that's freaking perfect. This Episode is probably one of my favorites :) and that's not knocking the other episodes but this one is just great.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 am

I've never been that interested in Dragon Ball Online, but this timeline was actually really cool!

I think a thing that sets the DBO timeline apart from GT, is that GT reuses a lot of ideas from the original series, and DBO feels like it is actually a continuation. The characters and world really grows in many interesting and unexpected ways.

Man, a DBO timeline anime would be insanely epic, in the true sense of the word. How would it work? Small arcs with frequent time jumps in between? Some of those early parts seem like they could only be like 1-5 episode stories, but then there's some action bits onward that could be pretty long. You'd just have to count on Toei to be patient (and to leave Goku out after a while!), ha ha...

NANLIT
Beyond Newbie

Post by NANLIT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:55 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:I've never been that interested in Dragon Ball Online, but this timeline was actually really cool!

I think a thing that sets the DBO timeline apart from GT, is that GT reuses a lot of ideas from the original series, and DBO feels like it is actually a continuation. The characters and world really grows in many interesting and unexpected ways.

Man, a DBO timeline anime would be insanely epic, in the true sense of the word. How would it work? Small arcs with frequent time jumps in between? Some of those early parts seem like they could only be like 1-5 episode stories, but then there's some action bits onward that could be pretty long. You'd just have to count on Toei to be patient (and to leave Goku out after a while!), ha ha...
Well if Toei were intereseted in doing an anime of events leading up to DBO, then they could always pad the stuff in between major events. You can probably notice that they didn't focus on everyone's deathdates nor marriages/having children for Pan, Goten, Trunks, Bra, etc. They didn't mention Oob at all and Toei could expand on that. Even Goku's death can be worked around by showing him every now and then what he's doing in the afterlife, such as meeting his family and friends as they die as well or maybe giving him adventures like the anime only Afterlife Tournament, old villains making problems in Hell, or fighting Janemba even though he was dead in Movie 12. They could expand more on Freeza's army settling on Earth after their defeats and such. They could even show clips of Mr. Satan's movies. I wouldn't underestimate Toei's ability to pad it with (good or bad) stuff that was either not mentioned or expanding on what we do know.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 pm

NANLIT wrote: Well if Toei were intereseted in doing an anime of events leading up to DBO, then they could always pad the stuff in between major events. You can probably notice that they didn't focus on everyone's deathdates nor marriages/having children for Pan, Goten, Trunks, Bra, etc. They didn't mention Oob at all and Toei could expand on that. Even Goku's death can be worked around by showing him every now and then what he's doing in the afterlife, such as meeting his family and friends as they die as well or maybe giving him adventures like the anime only Afterlife Tournament, old villains making problems in Hell, or fighting Janemba even though he was dead in Movie 12. They could expand more on Freeza's army settling on Earth after their defeats and such. They could even show clips of Mr. Satan's movies. I wouldn't underestimate Toei's ability to pad it with (good or bad) stuff that was either not mentioned or expanding on what we do know.
Yeah, I imagine the "Freeza's Army Arc" would be a pretty long one. Good point about keeping Goku involved via the afterlife! I wonder if that would be enough to satisfy fans.

Now, I apologize if I missed this on the podcast or elsewhere, but is there any confirmation on Toriyama's involvement with DBO besides some art for it? Do we know if he contributed to this timeline? I'm just curious from a real-world point of view, not trying to get into a "OMG CANON RAR" thing :wink:

EdHilario

Post by EdHilario » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 am

Was impatiently waiting for the next podcast lol.
Downloading and going to listen to it now. :)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Oh man, I would love if the next new Dragon Ball animated feature was "The Legend of Satan".
You and me both. For some reason, I've always assumed that if something like that happened in-series (and let's face it, even before DBO it's easy to assume a film about Satan would happen at some point in their world :lol: ), that he would take credit for more past events that the public had some knowledge on.

'Oh, that kid that beat Piccolo Daimao? Totally me, I just didn't have this stylish fro yet, bwahahaha! Seriously though - those weird aliens that kept blowing up the newscasters a few years back? I gave them a little what's-what too. And let's not forget that despicable Red Ribbon Army. I'm just awesome, bwahahaha!'

As for the Pilaf's ancestor Paella thing, and that 'Spirit Medium Robot' thing...I'm just grasping at straws here, but I want to say an older translation of the timeline mentioned something about 'Pilaf fails to take over the world yet again' at some point, but it was at a point so far in the future that you would have assumed he'd HAVE to be dead. So maybe it had meant Paella was the one that actually tried and failed? For the SMR, maybe he's talking to and receiving advice from his long dead ancestor? Or maybe Paella is a reincarnated Pilaf and the SMR allowed him access to his past life's memories/ambitions or something like that.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Oh man, I would love if the next new Dragon Ball animated feature was "The Legend of Satan".
You and me both. For some reason, I've always assumed that if something like that happened in-series (and let's face it, even before DBO it's easy to assume a film about Satan would happen at some point in their world :lol: ), that he would take credit for more past events that the public had some knowledge on.

'Oh, that kid that beat Piccolo Daimao? Totally me, I just didn't have this stylish fro yet, bwahahaha! Seriously though - those weird aliens that kept blowing up the newscasters a few years back? I gave them a little what's-what too. And let's not forget that despicable Red Ribbon Army. I'm just awesome, bwahahaha!'
That would be beyond dickish, even for him. He's already got such a great reputation for winning the 24th Tenkaichi Budoukai (the entire reason he became so famous, so why would he capitalize on that and not his previous victories?) and defeating Cell and Boo, so there's no reason for him to try and gain more fame by taking credit for the defeats of past evils. Not to mention that the King of the World, apparently the only one who even remembered Gokuu and Piccolo, could just step in and prove him wrong. And not even Mr. Satan and/or the Earthlings would try disputing the King of the World.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Hmm...most of that sounded pretty good. My favorite bits are Goku & Vegeta's final battle, Kuririn & Tenshinhan starting up schools, and Freeza's remnants waiting until Mr. Satan's death to attack. I'm pretty dissapointed that they didn't even mention Oob, though. I really wish we'd get something explaining Toriyama's involvement with this. Either way, I'd like to see some anime features that explain this stuff in more detail.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50 pm

batistabus wrote:I'm pretty dissapointed that they didn't even mention Oob, though.
And Yamcha too.

In-universe explanation: After Gokuu trained Oob and realized that he still wasn't strong enough to sate his boredom, he left him at his village with the money from Mr. Satan he'd promised to give him. Yamcha committed suicide or otherwise died of old age or an illness, but it wasn't noted because no-one cares about him.

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 am

XD The timeline was great. I never knew that much about DBO (Really, Dragon Ball Wiki is not that good of a place to go for info). The history's pretty amazing. I choked when I heard "Boobie". ... What kind of name is that? xDDDD

But the backstory just doesn't interest me that much. If there were to be a big anime or something done later about this (not likely anyways) it'd be filled with new characters and everyone will be dead.

Maybe I wasn't listening carefully, but what happened to Goku and Vegeta again? They died?

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Hopefully we get more Dragon Boxes.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm

NANLIT wrote:Perhaps Piccolo not doing anything about his siblings is a homage to how Kami didn't do anything about Piccolo Daimao during his 2 reigns despite Kami being the one responsible for Piccolo Daimao's existence.
Yeah that. I mean they are his family haha. Piccolo is looking pretty evil in that picture..I wonder..

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:01 am

#0287 was the first pod cast I've listened to here. Very interesting to hear you guys talk about this stuff. I'm gonna start catching these podcasts from now on. :) Listening to this one right now. :)

kemo47

Post by kemo47 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 am

Could you please mention this in the next podcast

Guys please help me spread this around http://www.petitions24.com/dragon_ball_specials
I have been in contact with Funimation and was told that unfortunately although there are no plans to dub the three most recent releases of Dragon Ball Z (Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, Goku and his Friends Return, and Episode of Bardock) for now, if I start a petition it would help. Once I have enough signatures I will send this petition to Funimation and was they realize how high the demand for this is, I am very sure they will comply sooner than they otherwise would. Please do this for the Dragon Ball community and millions of fans!

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:47 pm

kemo47 wrote:Could you please mention this in the next podcast

Guys please help me spread this around http://www.petitions24.com/dragon_ball_specials
I have been in contact with Funimation and was told that unfortunately although there are no plans to dub the three most recent releases of Dragon Ball Z (Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, Goku and his Friends Return, and Episode of Bardock) for now, if I start a petition it would help. Once I have enough signatures I will send this petition to Funimation and was they realize how high the demand for this is, I am very sure they will comply sooner than they otherwise would. Please do this for the Dragon Ball community and millions of fans!
Oh hey, I liked your post on Facebook earlier today. :P

I signed the petition, as well. Here's hoping...