Why is Gohan's hair black if Chi-Chi's hair was Blue(manga)?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Why is Gohan's hair black if Chi-Chi's hair was Blue(manga)?

Post by sonikku956 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

I don't really get this at all. It appears Saiyan/Human hybrids get their hair color from their mother. Bulma originally had lavender hair (excluding the very first chapter of Dragon Ball), and her kids Trunks and Bra have lavender hair as well in the manga. Shouldn't Gohan's or Goten's hair color be Dark Blue in the manga like Chi-Chi?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Why is Gohan's hair black if Chi-Chi's hair was Blue(man

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Nothing actually supports that theory other than Bulma's genetics lucking out twice, but it's not like it was an impossible scenario with astronomical odds of occurring anyway, equal chances for each kid. But, even if we assume it was true, Chi Chi's hair IS black. Toriyama colored it blue in what, that ONE drawing of her on the back of the motorcycle with Goku? It's black everywhere else...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Yeah, outside of that motor cycle illustration, Chi Chi's hair has been consistently coloured black. It was also black in her first appearance:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4116/4864 ... b212_o.jpg
Image courtesy of Kami Sama Explorer.

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Even if her hair was blue, you could say that Trunks and Bura were the anomalies. Not Gohan and Goten.

They would look like their father so the readers take it seriously that they are Goku's offspring and Trunks and Bura look different to make sure people don't mistake them for Goku's kids again, or even as a plot device in the Android saga to make it not obvious who Trunks really is.
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Nothing actually supports that theory other than Bulma's genetics lucking out twice, but it's not like it was an impossible scenario with astronomical odds of occurring anyway, equal chances for each kid.
Well, black hair is dominant over the lighter colors in real life (though it's more complicated than just that, since you can have all sorts of shades based on genes from each parent), but who knows if it would work that way in Dragon Ball, let alone with Saiyan-human hybrids. But as you say, Chichi's hair was black in the manga.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Bussani wrote:Well, black hair is dominant over the lighter colors in real life (though it's more complicated than just that, since you can have all sorts of shades based on genes from each parent), but who knows if it would work that way in Dragon Ball, let alone with Saiyan-human hybrids.
I'm aware of all this, but come on...it's Toriyama, the same man who said tails are a recessive trait and Namekians have enzymes that allow them to live off water. If we're applying anything remotely resembling real world genetics and not just use the "Toriyama is going to do whatever the hell he wants" excuse, a single, basic punnet square is probably the best option. He's not a complicated man and likes to keep things simple after all. lol

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:30 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Bussani wrote:Well, black hair is dominant over the lighter colors in real life (though it's more complicated than just that, since you can have all sorts of shades based on genes from each parent), but who knows if it would work that way in Dragon Ball, let alone with Saiyan-human hybrids.
I'm aware of all this, but come on...it's Toriyama, the same man who said tails are a recessive trait and Namekians have enzymes that allow them to live off water. If we're applying anything remotely resembling real world genetics and not just use the "Toriyama is going to do whatever the hell he wants" excuse, a single, basic punnet square is probably the best option. He's not a complicated man and likes to keep things simple after all. lol
Toriyama obviously is not a simple man or we wouldn't need to debate anything even though most of it is in regards to the buu arc.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Toriyama obviously is not a simple man or we wouldn't need to debate anything even though most of it is in regards to the buu arc.
Yeah, he pretty much is, and that's the problem. Most of the series was written by the seat of his pants from week to week with varying consistency. The overall lack of planning and writing whatever he felt like, as long as his editor allowed it, is what causes these debates in the first place. Its evident in your own example, as you said most of the debates are about the Buu Arc, and that's where he had the most freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted. He bounced all over the place like a child...not that that's a bad thing. lol

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Because he's "his father's son (!!!!!!)."

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 pm

Is it wrong that I think Chi Chi looks ten times more attractive with bluish hair?
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 pm

lash wrote:Is it wrong that I think Chi Chi looks ten times more attractive with bluish hair?
No, I agree. Blue hair makes her look more interesting. Or maybe it's just that picture, before she went all Super-Mama.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Eh, she looks too much like Lunch to me. She's better off with the black hair.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Kiddo626 wrote:Eh, she looks too much like Lunch to me. She's better off with the black hair.
I wouldn't mind either way, although I had forgotten that good Lunch has blue hair.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Black is the sexiest hair color, so all of you are wrong.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 pm

I was kinda confused as I don't remember her ever having blue hair. For that one drawing, it sounds like how occasionally Bruce Wayne's hair appeared to be blue but was actually black.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:09 am

Super Sonic wrote:For that one drawing, it sounds like how occasionally Bruce Wayne's hair appeared to be blue but was actually black.
Not so sure that is the case for that image. Goku's hair is very clearly black, while Chi Chi's hair is very not black. lol

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 am

That is not Chi-chi, Goku had an affair.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:50 am

Lunch?! And people say Chi-Chi is ungrateful.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 pm

...I thought for a moment that pic was of Bulma.

...Maybe she dyed her hair in that clearly Western picture?
Maybe they ran out of black on Goku?
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Maybe that was an early character design sketch that was reused? I dunno.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)