Bardock or Trunks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Bardock or Trunks?

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Which TV special do you prefer?

As much as I like the Trunks TV special, I'm going to have to go with the Bardock TV special on this one. I like the overall atmosphere of the special, the characters, and the story of this special. From start to finish, a great feature and one of my favorite animations in the series.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Bardock or Trunks?

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 pm

I like the Bardock special much more. The main reason for this is the dramatic story. You don't see that a lot in Dragon Ball, and the Man himself said he could never write such a story.
So mondo lame.

BrodieK41

Post by BrodieK41 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I always learn more towards the Bardock special although I do love the Trunks special. I think what makes it better for me is even though the Trunks special had its share of differences compared to the manga chapter, it was mostly the same story whereas the Bardock special was an original story. The Bardock special also has some of the best music from the series especially Solid State Scouter and the piece that plays when Freeza destroys Planet Vegeta.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 pm

The Bardock special was a little neat, although it could have done some more to answer questions regarding Saiyans and Goku's family. For what they could pack in under an hour, it isn't bad. Vegeta's inclusion is nice, and the dark plot is great. Would have been a little better if it was released slightly later to include different visions of the future, but for what it includes is fine. One major plus is the awesome music as Bardock takes on Dodoria's gang (can be heard during the climax, as well). Does anyone know the name of this song?

Edit: Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm77VCkf_do

I saw the Trunks special first and I still consider it pretty damn good. One of the better works outside of the main episode series. It could use some tweaking, like all works, but for what it is it works pretty well. Doesn't make a ton of sense how after 13 years everything still seems rather put together. When 17 and 18 first appear there's an entire city still intact. Again, after 13 years an intact city remains. Doesn't exactly make much sense, and the DB world isn't exactly as populated / big as real earth (I have no evidence to back up this claim at this time, but c'mon).

Other than that, I did enjoy it a lot, even if it deviates from the original plot a little. I like the special so much that if I ever want to watch the android / cell sagas from start to finish, then I put on the special first as the intro to the driving plot for those sagas. Future Trunks is my favorite character, anyway, so more of him is always a plus to me.
Last edited by OzzyApu on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 pm

I do love both but if I had to choose one. I'd probably go with the Bardock special.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 am

I think I like the Trunks special better. Probably just cause Trunks is awesome. I really like Future Gohan and his one arm. Also back in the day, my copy of Bardock was a vhs while my Trunks one was a dvd. It was quite a hassle having to rewind over and over again haha.
Last edited by Jackal puFF on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:44 am

Both are good but I do like the Trunks special a bit more since the scene of Gohan's death was pretty sad to see and I like the tone that the special had.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:33 am

It's a very tough choice, but I think I enjoyed the Trunks special a bit more because it had familiar characters in a different setting. The ending was very satisfying.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 am

The Bardock special, because of the awesomeness of Bardock himself, the plot, and the atmosphere.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:The Bardock special, because of the awesomeness of Bardock himself, the plot, and the atmosphere.
This post made my day. :lol:

I liked the special just because it seemed good to me back then. Don't remember why now though. Kind of feels bad man. :oops:
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Man, this is a terrible thing to make someone choose between! :lol:

If I really had to pick one, it would have to be the Bardock special. Bardock is a character that, were it not for this special, we wouldn't know anything about. Trunks himself tells us what went down in his future, so his special just illustrates it for us. The Bardock special introduces us to a host of new characters, including a female Saiya-jin (Celipa) and both Goku and Vegeta's fathers. It gives us a look at how Freeza's organization worked, and what the Saiya-jin's place in it was, long before the Namek Saga would come to pass. It showed us how imposing Dodoria actually was, a fact that is certainly diminished in the TV series. Let's not forget that this special was so awesome that Toriyama made it canon! What other special or movie can say that? And, to top it all off, it showed us the fateful scene of Grandpa Gohan finding baby Goku. Sure, it was inconsistant with the fact that baby Goku was supposed to be a wild child, but it was just so dang adorable! :mrgreen:
@VegettoEX: Let it be known that @Tekkaman_Blade is the greatest human being on the face of the planet.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Tekkaman-James wrote:The Bardock special introduces us to a host of new characters, including ... Vegeta's fathers.
I must have blanked out for each of the five times I've seen the special. Where was Vegeta's father in it?

Tekkaman-James
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tekkaman-James » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:05 pm

OzzyApu wrote:I must have blanked out for each of the five times I've seen the special. Where was Vegeta's father in it?
You are quite right, sir. King Vegeta is NOT in the Bardock special. Touché.

Allow me to replace that as a reason for why the Bardock special is better with this instead:
Nappa with hair! :mrgreen:
@VegettoEX: Let it be known that @Tekkaman_Blade is the greatest human being on the face of the planet.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:24 pm

And kid Vegeta, and a scene of him killing Saibaimen...like a boss.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I personally preferred the Bardock Special, because that's probably our most complete glimpse into what Saiyan life was like. Sure, we got some flashbacks from Nappa and Vegeta, but they only showed us fragments, whereas the Special gave us a complete picture.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Burdock's TV-Special for the optimum BGMs and his own fantastic theme song, plus the story, of course.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Tekkaman-James wrote: Nappa with hair! :mrgreen:
And it looks almost as awful as Recoome's hair! :mrgreen:

I'd have to choose the Bardock special too, especially since I am pretty much fed up with Super Saiya-jins, and I like to see the Saiya-jin "underdogs" a bit more.
I feel that the series became much more repetitive after the "invention" of the Super Saiya-jin (especially with so many others achieving it).
That goes for many other manga with transformations.
Throw in a super transformation and everything will become all about that: Waiting to see for the new, awesome transformation rather than the fights themselves.
I'd say that Goku vs. Freeza beat any other given fight that came afterwards.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 am

Future Gohan makes the Trunks special, and also makes it my favorite.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 am

The Trunks special is my favourite DBZ film, I wish it could have been longer and more in-depth though.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.