What do you hope/expect in the future of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

What do you hope/expect in the future of Dragon Ball?

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu May 03, 2012 2:37 am

In terms of anime, games, mangas, toys, wtvr. I hope they finish Kai, maybe even do one for Dragon Ball. Also, I hope the release another official continuation of Z, for those who hated GT. Also an HD Tenkaichi 2 with super fast Xbox Live matchmaking.

It doesn't need to be completely plausible, just things you wish would happen.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What do you hope/expect in the future of Dragon Ball?

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu May 03, 2012 4:10 am

I just hope they keep making new dragonball movies, specials, whatever. Anything that expands the universe is good. And damn please have those new movies dubbed and in every language possible.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 03, 2012 4:59 am

My hope would be a series taking place during bardock's time, or after DBZ. What I expect? Random specials now and then, and more of Dragonball SD...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 03, 2012 5:49 am

Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and related films/specials/ovas die with it, by this, letting new completely original Dragon Ball content rise up.

Dragon Ball Heroes.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and related films/specials/ovas die with it, by this, letting new completely original Dragon Ball content rise up.

Dragon Ball Heroes.
^This.

And..

The current trend of near-throwaway ovas and specials needs to stop, they're way too formulaic.

One final animated epic film with a substantial plot.

A high-budget and acceptable live action film adaptation.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 am

Hopes?

A movie. A nice big buget movie like they did for One Piece with Movie 10.

OVA's and specials that are not related to games.

Short stories from Toriyama, like Cross Epoch (least likely to happen)

Expectations?

OVAs and specials related to games or meant to promote this or that mechandise.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 am

Well mainly I want Dragon ball to air on NickToons(they did GT why not)
Also all japanese dragon boxes in USA
Any thing to do with Bardock

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu May 03, 2012 11:13 am

Nex Carnifex wrote:It doesn't need to be completely plausible, just things you wish would happen.
Dragon Ball Online manga, and if we're reaching, I want it written and illustrated by Toriyama.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu May 03, 2012 1:19 pm

I still have hope for a new movie with the production style equivalent to One Piece: Strong World. It doesn't have to be a theatrical release, I'm fine with it going straight to DVD or Blu-ray.

Oh, and a game that's actually worth playing.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 pm

In terms of things I want to buy..

Funi releasing Dragonball DBOXs and the DBZ movies.

Viz getting their act together and releasing an uncut Kanzenban (I can allow Mr. Popo's lips but nothing else)
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm

I want a spin-off series of young Kamesen'nin or King Vegeta with a score newly composed by Kikuchi.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 03, 2012 1:33 pm

A worthy fighting game for PS3 with BT3 roster, every What-If character/form and more not included in BT3, and a character creator with Saiyans (Male, Female - with & without tails), Namekians, Majins (fat males, slim females) and Freeza Clan, and more elements from Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball Heroes, along with original. It will not have the classic story, but an original one with animated cut-scenes, original characters, and other gameplay features apart from just fighting.

Good animated specials every year. A Dragon Ball Online manga mini-series, and then an OVA series adaptation, and a Dragon Ball Heroes OVA series.

That's what I hope. What do I expect? Slow Dragon Ball Online story updates, more from Dragon Ball Heroes, some more Dragon Ball SD chapters, and more not so good video games, but with some new animation every year.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm

DB really has nothing new other then Kai and video games, I would want a 4th series since we can have more to talk about. Specials are nice but they are not going to hold off the series. I will watch a GT sequel as long if it's good but GT is not very popular in Japan, so I doubt we will see a flow up anytime soon. Or they could make a series that takes place after Z and have GT never happening then I'm fine with that as well :) .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would want a 4th series since we can have more to talk about.
You mean a 5th series. DBKai is a different anime series, even if it's based on DBZ. I don't know if I would want a new series. Toei tried to do a sequel of the series (DBGT), fans didn't like it. They tried to do a remake/refresh series (DBKai), fans didn't like it again. If it's a new series, and it's not by Toriyama, I believe that most of the fans will not have high hopes for it, and again it will not be good in the eyes of the fans.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I want to see DB's answer to Strong World. Something with a nice big budget, beautiful animation, fun plot, and good length to it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Frankly, I don't expect anything..... I will love some more Kikuchi tough, in the new features.
Dunno, what's up with Japan or TOEI, to get new composer each time they do something new with franchise.
What's Kikuchi's whereabouts?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:DB really has nothing new other then Kai and video games, I would want a 4th series since we can have more to talk about. Specials are nice but they are not going to hold off the series. I will watch a GT sequel as long if it's good but GT is not very popular in Japan, so I doubt we will see a flow up anytime soon. Or they could make a series that takes place after Z and have GT never happening then I'm fine with that as well :) .
I'd rather a remake of GT, with a completely different plot. I think it would be cool if they had someone break through the universe wall that Goku touched in that filler, releasing an enemy from outside their universe. And Uub and Gohan need to stop it not Goku, he could come in in the end and help but he shouldn't be the focus.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I'd have to parrot everyone else on wanting a new, huge budget film, kind of like DB's answer to Strong World. I would looovveee that. In fact, if I can ever get myself to start writing it, I want to write a fanfic that's kind of like that.

Let's see...I'd love to see something that actually gives Pan and Oob some focus, as I feel they were the most gypped in Z's end and GT. Sure, Pan got a lot of focus in GT, but I think it could have been handled better still.

A series based on Dragon Ball Online would be aammmmaaazzziiiinnnggg. I'd also accept something from Dragon Ball Heroes.

What do I actually expect though? Just more games, more Heroes updates as far as the game goes, more DB SD which will continue to be amusing but not landmark, and probably something new in the Dragon Box line from FUNi.

At this point, I actually almost wish they'd retire the Dragon Ball brand again for a short period of time to let new ideas come up, and then bring it back. Pull a Toho with Godzilla basically.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:A worthy fighting game for PS3 with BT3 roster, every What-If character/form and more not included in BT3, and a character creator with Saiyans (Male, Female - with & without tails), Namekians, Majins (fat males, slim females) and Freeza Clan, and more elements from Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball Heroes, along with original. It will not have the classic story, but an original one with animated cut-scenes, original characters, and other gameplay features apart from just fighting.
They'd better work with the game itself than creating a shitload of characters that will play as a clone, basically the same characters with a different skin and different attacks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 03, 2012 4:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:A worthy fighting game for PS3 with BT3 roster, every What-If character/form and more not included in BT3, and a character creator with Saiyans (Male, Female - with & without tails), Namekians, Majins (fat males, slim females) and Freeza Clan, and more elements from Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball Heroes, along with original. It will not have the classic story, but an original one with animated cut-scenes, original characters, and other gameplay features apart from just fighting.
They'd better work with the game itself than creating a shitload of characters that will play as a clone, basically the same characters with a different skin and different attacks.
I would love BT3 in RB, RB2 or Ultimate Blast graphics on my console, because that will be ironically by far the best game they ever did on this generation of consoles.
What we got is actually BT3 with less roster and less modes but better graphics and UT got damn bad concept of gameplay.....
So if they can surpass BT3 by anything besides the number of characters, then go for it Spike. But they failed.... So really, they can beat BT3 only by roster, the more experimenting,
the deeper the pool of s**t they serve as outcome.
Last edited by MCDaveG on Thu May 03, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88