2 Years on

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

2 Years on

Post by RazorX » Wed May 02, 2012 6:58 pm

It's been 2 years yesterday since I joined this forum, so reflection time.

I didn't mention this before but I used the daizex website for a number of years before joining the forum. I didn't really consider joining the forum (but I'm glad I did) and rarely checked the forum, until Dragon Ball Kai came along.

I had not lost interest in the Dragon Ball series between the finishing of Dragon Ball broadcasts and Kai, I was very content with the Ocean/Blue Water English dubs and the original Japanese version so I had plenty to go back to.

So what prompted me to join this forum? Easily the main reason was the disclosure of the Ocean Productions dub of Dragon Ball Kai. The discussions on the Ocean dub exploded on this forum and I followed the discussions closely. Overtime the topic swerved to what I felt was misconceptions regarding the original Ocean dub of DBZ. I had gathered significant information on the Ocean/Blue Water dubs over the years so I initially joined to share them. Then got involved with discussions on the Funimation dub as well. I can remember the discussions getting heated and those involved (myself included) managed to get warnings.

From there my involvement mostly remained on Kai for some time before branching out to other areas of the forum. It should be noted that when the recast of Frieza was announced for the Funi dub, I was against it, I expected Funi to mess it up badly. Then when we heard the new Funi Frieza, I was shocked that it actually sounded good, very similar to Ocean's Frieza. So I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, but a lot of others had high expectations and were disappointed, until time went on.

Overall, and its been said before, I'm glad that an active and knowledgeable Dragon Ball fan community such as this exists. The previous DB forum I was a member of was dbzonps2.com (does anyone remember that? I think its still around) but the discussions here cover more ground than there even during its peak activity time prior to the release of Budokai 3 on PS2.

So, I'm glad for the existance of this community, glad I joined and hope this community remains for many years to come.

The Dragon Ball series is the greatest Anime in the World, by far. :D

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: 2 Years on

Post by matt0044 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm

You go, man! I've been actually a fan of the Manga mostly since Middle School. Of course, I saw Dragon Ball on Toonami when I was bored so I recalled it when I saw Vol. 1 of Dragon Ball and bought it. As of now, I'm damn proud to have read the Manga first given I found the dub to my disliking in translation and what not. On Youtube, dubbies tend to be hard to deal with since while I'm a dub guy, I know a bad dub when I see it and DBZ was a stinker. Kai's dub did help me appreciate the characters more and whatnot.

A few months ago, I found this website and it feels like I returned home after so long.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 am

Sorry but we are going to make a thread for every person for being on the site for a period of time? I have been on the site for two and half years but I don't make these type of threads. Not trying to sound rude or anything but I find these threads silly since someone just made a similar thread not too while ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu May 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Sorry but we are going to make a thread for every person for being on the site for a period of time? I have been on the site for two and half years but I don't make these type of threads. Not trying to sound rude or anything but I find these threads silly since someone just made a similar thread not too while ago.
I'm inclined to agree. While it's nice and fuzzy, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion beyond "Yeah, cool beans". Goin' on six years over here, but I'm saving my thread for the big double-digits. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri May 04, 2012 5:49 pm

matt0044 wrote:You go, man! I've been actually a fan of the Manga mostly since Middle School. Of course, I saw Dragon Ball on Toonami when I was bored so I recalled it when I saw Vol. 1 of Dragon Ball and bought it. As of now, I'm damn proud to have read the Manga first given I found the dub to my disliking in translation and what not. On Youtube, dubbies tend to be hard to deal with since while I'm a dub guy, I know a bad dub when I see it and DBZ was a stinker. Kai's dub did help me appreciate the characters more and whatnot.

A few months ago, I found this website and it feels like I returned home after so long.
That's good, I haven't actually read all of the Manga myself yet but I've bought all the Dragon Ball (& Z) Manga volumes and plan to read them all.

As far as the dub goes, I know a lot of people have bad experience with the dub they saw, like yourself. But I was lucky that I grew up with a dub on Toonami which I absolutely loved (The Ocean Dub) so I'm in a position where I can enjoy both dub and sub. I got into DBZ with the dub first but discovered the Japanese version via clips online, years later imported some DVDs here and there and now I have all the Funi released Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes, which is nice (best release Funi have done by far)

There's still a couple of sagas in the original Dragon Ball which I have not seen, so my plan is to read the Manga version of those sagas, then watch the Anime version; Blue Water dub first then the original Japanese. So fortunately I'll have the luxury of reading the Manga before watching the episodes in at least some (albeit small) areas of the DB series, and subsequently see how the filler plays into the story from the perspective of going through the sagas with no filler. At the moment I enjoy the vast majority of filler in the DB series.

I find myself avoiding any posts related to the episodes I have not seen in the first series, to avoid spoilers at this day and age, funnily enough.

Hellspawn28 & The Tori-bot: If people want to use this topic to talk about their journey with the DB series and what led them to join the forum, I don't mind.