What makes Dragon Ball "Dragon Ball"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

What makes Dragon Ball "Dragon Ball"

Post by Gonstead » Tue May 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Specifically, what makes the Dragon Ball franchise unique? What makes it memorable? What made the readers keep reading and what kept the viewers viewing.

These are just some of the things I ponder about this series. What are your thoughts?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: What makes Dragon Ball "Dragon Ball"

Post by dprez » Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Cool looking spiky hair/super strong alien guys flying around shooting beams out of their hands, knocking each other through mountains.

As a kid these are the things I was immediately attracted to. :lol: Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Doug ect... were nothing like this. Even the american superhero shows of the mid and late 90's were nothing like it. Anime back then was so mysterious to me. All I knew was that it was a japanese cartoon, with more "adult" elements that most of our cartoons don't have, and that's because at the time I had an older step brother who introduced me to Toonami. He was more aware of the original version at the time, so even back then I knew the true version was bloodier/edgier and such...and that japanese Goku sounded like a girl. :lol: Apparently he knew how to use the internet before I did. :lol:

But seriously, Dragon Ball is considered the God Father of shonen anime and manga, like what started it all. That's what I think is most unique about it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 pm

The music.

Whether you prefer the original soundtrack or the replacements, there's variety for everyone so no one's really locked up to just one music style.

Memorable moments from the (Z) series:
Piccolo fires at Goku/Raditz with his Mankankosappo attack
Goku Vs. Vegeta
Freeza impaling Kuririn
Goku SSJ
Gohan SSJ2
Goku SSJ3
Goku defeating Kid Boo with a Super Genki Dama
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 pm

For me, I used to always be into action shows when I was very young. Super Heroes and Fighting Evil were my thing. I loved shows like that and couldn't get enough of it. I knew about DC, and Marvel. Power Rangers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Once I discovered Cartoon Network, Instantly saw Goku and Mirai Trunks standing side by side as Super Saiyans (in Vegeta's dream). I loved the hairstyles, the colors, and thrill of the action. It was unlike anything else I had ever seen.
As I kept watching the series, I thought all the character personalities were perfect. Goku became my role model. I loved how he was so kind hearted yet he could be so fierce and defeat evil at the same time. I also loved the music in the English dub movies my Grandparents would buy me. I guess you could say that's a little bit of why it was such a big thing to me and still is to this day.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue May 22, 2012 6:27 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The music.

Whether you prefer the original soundtrack or the replacements, there's variety for everyone so no one's really locked up to just one music style.

Memorable moments from the (Z) series:
Piccolo fires at Goku/Raditz with his Mankankosappo attack
Goku Vs. Vegeta
Freeza impaling Kuririn
Goku SSJ
Gohan SSJ2
Goku SSJ3
Goku defeating Kid Boo with a Super Genki Dama
I'm assuming during these moments, the music is slightly different right? I know Gohan ssj2 there is ( also ssj Trunks which you didn't list ), and I can recall little moments from my last run through Z that the music does slightly change during certain, usually important scenes, like the ones you listed. I need to go back and watch those scenes and see for myself.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Akira Toriyama's wacky way of writing as well as his editors is what makes Dragonball what it is not to mention all of his fun character from the very serious Tenshinhan to the wacky Ginyu Force. And also all the sad/moving moments like when Goku finds Krillin dead for the first time or when Goku uses the Kaioken X20 on Freeza.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed May 23, 2012 5:25 am

Goku being the character he is! He's like the definition of dragonball and adventurous.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 am

The childish humour mostly and the sudden dramatic moments, and the colourful character designs.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 am

Hair and transformations.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am

I'd say it's that mix of innocent adventure, and great paced fighting.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 am

Pretty much agree with what's already been said.
I'd say the art too, Toriyama has a very original style, it's instantly recognizable as his work, unlike a lot of other manga artists.
The character designs are also really memorable, they were a big draw for me.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 am

I agree with StarRot regarding the art style.

For me the characters make about 75% of the reasons why I enjoy the series and I think DB has one of the most recognizable characters in the media.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Wed May 23, 2012 11:12 am

Recognizable characters, the over the top fighting, the drawing style - it all comes together to create a vivid experience. It's a kids show, yes, but it crosses boundaries like no other kids show I've seen. I watched heaps of cartoons and action cartoons were among them, but none of them hit on the level like Dragon Ball Z did (didn't watch Dragon Ball until way later). Now I grew up on the dub and it's a different experience than the Japanese one, but it still felt like a more adult experience than other shows I watched. You'd have your typical American action cartoons, and then you had DBZ that looked and felt like the next plateau. Something about pre-internet take-off with the series also made it very mysterious and original, since they didn't air everything back in 1998 and 1999 for me. There was a mystique and I knew there was something beyond the original dub airings, which added to the sense of discovery.

Of course now I know about every release and just stick to the Japanese version for everything as I laugh / cringe at the English dubs I used to watch.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed May 23, 2012 11:57 am

The action, the power-ups/transformations, the characters, the art style, the overarching Shounen theme (replicated in many others that were inspired by DB), the writing, the comedy...

And Son Gokuu himself. Heck, my friend's friend dislikes Dragon Ball apart from Gokuu, simply because she thinks he looks cool. 8)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.