Silly things in GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Silly things in GT

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:43 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:GT Trunks

How the FUCK can the son of Vegeta grow up to be SUCH a pansy? :evil:
Wasn't he about the same in the end of the manga?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:

Not really, he seemed like just a decent person. GT Trunks was just a big NO-NO. The real son of Vegeta wouldn't let Pan walk all over him like that.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:

But there was nothing he did at the end of the manga that would classify him as a "pussy".
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:

He was more of a slacker.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 am

I really don't think that the Trunks we see in GT is far fetched. Even as kids they were just goofing around. Add that to what, 10 years of peace? Vegeta wasn't really hardcore like he used to be, so I doubt he pushed Trunks as hard as he would've back in the day.

I also think they wanted Trunks to be completely different than his future self to show the parallels. If the series had continued, I think it would've been cool to dive into that dynamic a bit more.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:16 am

Necrosaber wrote:I really don't think that the Trunks we see in GT is far fetched. Even as kids they were just goofing around. Add that to what, 10 years of peace? Vegeta wasn't really hardcore like he used to be, so I doubt he pushed Trunks as hard as he would've back in the day.
Vegeta always seemed like a stern parent (even in GT) so I figured Trunks wouldn't get all soft like that.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Chalk it up to a final wish that defies all previously established rules. I mean, I doubt Shenlong is supposed to be able to potentially grant wishes to dead people when he isn't summoned or just up and leave the Earth and merge himself with a Saiyan, but he did...
They were going to do it during the wish that the smoking dragon came out, so it wouldn't have been Shenlong's last wish at the time.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:34 pm

So, uh ... what exactly did Trunks do in GT that made him a huge pussy or whatever? Not be Future Trunks?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Cipher wrote:So, uh ... what exactly did Trunks do in GT that made him a huge pussy or whatever? Not be Future Trunks?
It was when he let Pan steal the jet keys from him. I was like "This loser can't be Vegeta's son. Even Gohan before he trained under Piccolo was more manly than him.", the real son of Vegeta would have pulled out his belt and beat her with it until she learned how to behave herself.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It was when he let Pan steal the jet keys from him. I was like "This loser can't be Vegeta's son. Even Gohan before he trained under Piccolo was more manly than him.", the real son of Vegeta would have pulled out his belt and beat her with it until she learned how to behave herself.
Yeah, man. What a candy-ass faggot. Not beating that child.

GT sucks.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Eh, I think you need to reevaluate your opinion. Considering Trunks' lax attitude at the end of Z, Vegeta doesn't seem to be that stern of a parent at all. Trunks' personality in GT fits him pretty perfectly IMO, except when you count parts where GT is GT and you get little out of character moments similar to the "you can fly dammit!" instances in the plot.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:the real son of Vegeta would have pulled out his belt and beat her with it until she learned how to behave herself.
So, Trunks is out of character since DBZ, you say? Because he was never like Vegeta. What about Bra? The real daughter of Vegeta shouldn't be a cute little girl in the end of the manga, right? She must fight & she must be the bitch of the bitches.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:32 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:the real son of Vegeta would have pulled out his belt and beat her with it until she learned how to behave herself.
Pretty sure that's what a psychopath would have done, not Trunks.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Saiga wrote:
Pretty sure that's what a psychopath would have done, not Trunks.
So you actually can tolerate Pan?
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:01 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: So you actually can tolerate Pan?
I can, and even if I couldn't stand her I'd never advocate Trunks doing that.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Saiga wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: So you actually can tolerate Pan?
I can, and even if I couldn't stand her I'd never advocate Trunks doing that.
Ok then, what do you think Trunks would do? It better teach Pan a lesson in the end.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:45 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Ok then, what do you think Trunks would do? It better teach Pan a lesson in the end.
Well he should be strong and fast enough to just snatch them off her without hurting her, even if he has to go Super Saiyan to do so. :P

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:05 am

If anything I'm glad they made Trunks lame I mean we wouldn't want him taking Goku's spotlight

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Saiga wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Ok then, what do you think Trunks would do? It better teach Pan a lesson in the end.
Well he should be strong and fast enough to just snatch them off her without hurting her, even if he has to go Super Saiyan to do so. :P
I gotcha, threaten her.

On-Topic: Another thing silly about GT is Vegeta going back to his Goku-hating roots for no reason.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:39 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:On-Topic: Another thing silly about GT is Vegeta going back to his Goku-hating roots for no reason.
Might have come after the fact, but: Kanzenban ending.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)