Why do people hate Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Why do people hate Dragon Ball GT?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07 pm

I grew up watching it dubbed in Spanish, French and Portuguese, the dubs were cool (they did use the name "Son Goku" a bit too much), music by Tokunaga sounded great and suited GT perfectly, though the animation looked goofy sometimes but didn't ruin the series for me.

They should be bashing Hoshi not GT because it's a fake series and those who've got the videos up might be profiting off of the "Hoshi" episodes.

To be fair, the inconsistent animation in Dragon Ball Kai annoyed me far more than Dragon Ball GT's, first up they had new animation and then original animation, what the hell Toei Animation! :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: Why do people hate Dragon Ball GT?

Post by dprez » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I don't hate it. I just feel like the only reason it was created was for more money. Sure people may have wanted more Dragon Ball, but the creator was done and that should've been the end of it. They knew people would watch and see the commercials and buy that shit, regardless of what the show was.

Now, If GT wasn't so utterly ridiculous with it's power-scaling, then maybe not so many people would hate it. Sure DBZ, especially during the Boo saga, has it's numerous opposing interpretations of power levels, but nothing like the absurdity we see in Gt. It's like they didn't give a damn and did whatever the hell they wanted.

The ending is fantastic I must say. Maybe at that point, they realized they may as well cap this disorderly series with a nice farewell. I'm pretty sure ratings faltered in time, for good reason.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 pm

- Flimsy premise (Black Star Dragon Balls, Goku becoming a child)
- Outrageously inconsistent levels of power
- Doesn't know whether it wants to be an adventure show, action show, or combination
- New characters/enemies just aren't compelling at all.
- Is just utterly UNNECESSARY. The Buu arc was pushing it as it was.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Semi-recent 10-page thread with lots of additional answers (including my own):

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=19949
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Semi-recent 10-page thread with lots of additional answers (including my own):

O yea I forgot about that one.
dprez wrote:Since I have yet to actually sit down and watch all of GT, I can't really say that I hate it, love it, or am somewhere in between. In many ways I definitely "hate" what GT did to certain characters, but I have yet to form a complete opinion on how I feel about GT as a whole. Need to buy the green brick and watch all of it, but I agree with the OP, that if it's Goku and friends, I can bare to watch solely for that reason.
This is still true. But I am closer to being able to purchase the complete series and watch all of it.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I dont hate it, I love it, and it has a great animation style, and theres only two different animation styles unlike z which had a ton of styles.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:56 pm

-Fugly art: Aside from Goku and Pan, almost everyone was oddly poportioned and had extremely poor fashion sense (Vegeta, Trunks etc.).

-Pan.

-The GT stands for Goku Time: It shows complete and utter disrespect towards anyone who isn't Goku, even Pan was hardly useful.

-The villains suck: They're all just a bunch of power hungry monsters.

-The fighting sucks:Over 90% of them were just beam spamming in an unintelligent matter. When I watch/read Dragon Ball, I want crazy martial arts not lazer tag.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:58 pm

That said, I don't hate GT nor do Ilike it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't hate GT, but I do feel it poorly executed its ideas and suffers from lots of awkward character designs (I'm so sorry Mr. Toriyama, I just don't care for most of GT's character designs). Also, I wanted Vegeta to be on that ship with Goku, Trunks, and Pan so badly. In retrospect, I really wanted GT to be "One Piece, but in outer space with DB characters"; a huge variety of different planets to visit and an equally various number of bad guys with lots of different types of fighting (flat-out ki-blast brawls get boring if you don't have something else to throw into the mix). I also wanted to see base adult Goku with his tail in the show itself and not just the final scene of the final ED.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I guess I don't have much to say becauseI already said it in the other thread.
dbboxkaifan wrote:They should be bashing Hoshi not GT because it's a fake series
How can you bash something that doesn't exist?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53 am

As far as I'm concerned, ANY Dragon Ball related material that expands the mythos and gives me new characters and stories is a good thing. Haters gonna' hate.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 am

mattymoron wrote:As far as I'm concerned, ANY Dragon Ball related material that expands the mythos and gives me new characters and stories is a good thing. Haters gonna' hate.
When it's done right, I can agree to this.

But GT? Wasted potential.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am

I can't remember if I posted in the previous thread, so I'll just repeat what I always say when these things come up:

I like GT. I like it a lot, actually. I love the style and colors, the music, and the general, nostalgic atmosphere. I like that the characters are old and frumpy. I like the new cast members we get, like Giru, who take on roles we haven't seen since early Dragon Ball. I like that there's finally a girl in the main cast. And while I think the ending of Z and the manga work just fine, I love GT's ending as well.

I acknowledge there are some missteps; it's too Goku-centric, Oob is bizarrely side-lined, Pan's development somewhat peters out, and there are inconsistencies in how characters' relative strengths are displayed (though not nearly to the point most people seem to think). Any future adaptations or remakes should absolutely address and alter these problems.

But they aren't enough to keep me from enjoying the series.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Funimation's dub of GT was terrible (the orginal with the "rap rock" soundtrack). I have no idea why Funi didn't have the original music like they did with Dragon Ball.

Over all, I think the series is just a cash-in. It leaves a awful amount of "Why?". Why didn't Oob become a main character? Why does Goku have to be a kid? Why are Gohan and Goten usless? Why are Pilaf and co. still alive, even though they are evil?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Semi-recent 10-page thread with lots of additional answers (including my own):

Beat me to it. It was your answer that I remembered that made me go hunting for that thread. I swear this topic pops up almost every couple of months.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Cipher wrote:I can't remember if I posted in the previous thread, so I'll just repeat what I always say when these things come up:

I like GT. I like it a lot, actually. I love the style and colors, the music, and the general, nostalgic atmosphere. I like that the characters are old and frumpy. I like the new cast members we get, like Giru, who take on roles we haven't seen since early Dragon Ball. I like that there's finally a girl in the main cast. And while I think the ending of Z and the manga work just fine, I love GT's ending as well.

I acknowledge there are some missteps; it's too Goku-centric, Oob is bizarrely side-lined, Pan's development somewhat peters out, and there are inconsistencies in how characters' relative strengths are displayed (though not nearly to the point most people seem to think). Any future adaptations or remakes should absolutely address and alter these problems.

But they aren't enough to keep me from enjoying the series.
Pretty much this. I love the series, and I pop it in my dvd player any time the mood strikes me. I like the atmosphere of it. LOVE the music. I actually ended up seeing all of GT before I finished Z when I was a child thanks to bootlegs at the video store.

I do agree with a lot of wasted potential in characters and some of the fights could've been fleshed out better. I don't really let inconsistencies affect my viewing. I can enjoy the movies and they seem to do their own thing, so why should I treat this any different?

I am noticing that more people are being more accepting of it lately, which is nice. I see Dragonball Heroes incorporating GT elements in it now and that leaves me really excited about expanding on concepts that were introduced. It's hard for me to get excited about SSJ3 Vegeta and Broli, when I know SSJ4 exists. Even though some people don't like GT, I still recognize it as apart of the franchise and hate when it gets left out.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:05 pm

For me the problem is too much power for the villains, especially Baby and Android 17.

Goku tries to defeat Baby in super saiyan 3 form. It doesn't work so he goes ape again, then transforms into super saiyan 4. But then Baby goes ape which was dumb. Super Android 17 has to be has to be powerful by aborbing power which he and 18 were never about in Z.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.
The music, especially so, even though other people often say it's one of its strong points. To me it's just incredibly boring and has this distinct sound to it, that I don't like.
I don't like the fact, they changed Trunks' personality to be more like the polite Future Trunks instead of his bratty self in the Buu Arc.
The story is mediocre and I dislike the adventure part of it, where there wasn't much action(the first 8 episodes).
GT is simply "meh" to me.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

dbgtFO wrote:I don't like the fact, they changed Trunks' personality to be more like the polite Future Trunks instead of his bratty self in the Buu Arc.
This I don't get. Sure he's less of a bratty kid, but that's because he matured after 15 years. The traits are still there, regardless of if you want to see them or not. His sneaking out of work, running around like a fool trying to catch Pan or Gill, all that screams present Trunks to me. Kid at heart. He might be a little more mild mannered than he used to be, but I don't think his personality is really all that similar to Future Trunks', because honestly, even though Future Trunks is typically really polite with people, I can't imagine him putting up with half the shit present Trunks goes through in GT with his more serious personality...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)