Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Mystery Jump Countdown: New DB Movie Confirmed!

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 am

Fox666 wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:One thing we know for sure is that the villian is going to be super-powerful by showing Ultimate Gohan wearing a dougi right there. I wonder what kind of villian he is? It'll be intertesting once more information is revealed.
Would you think Hirudegarn was that strong? Or that the movie had a poor balance of powers?

Of course this movie is supposed to have "deep involvement from Toriyama", but Toriyama is know for his forgetfulness, and it has been a long time since he finished Dragon Ball.
This is exactly the sort of thing I fear happening, a movie 13 situation.

Or possibly, the focus isn't on some huge battle.

Best case scenario for me would be to have Gohan fight and defeat the enemy, if there is one.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:27 am

Fox666 wrote:I also be prepared for this hyping about Toriyama not being so true. Toriyama never came any close to any sort of supervision of any of the movies or specials before, expect for characters design. If he is supposed to have worked more than he did on there, the range of how much involvement he had may vary a lot.
Toriyama was the one who came up with the initial plot for the JSAT special. So in addition him possibly contributing character designs, he may have been the one that suggested the plot for the writer to expand upon this time around too. His "supervision" may imply a higher level of involvement than you're suggesting...maybe. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 am

Very exciting news!

I just hope to god that this film will be longer than 60 minutes. Moreover; please be a badass piece of work as opposed to the fun-loving romp that was the Jump Special.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 am

Fox666 wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:One thing we know for sure is that the villian is going to be super-powerful by showing Ultimate Gohan wearing a dougi right there. I wonder what kind of villian he is? It'll be intertesting once more information is revealed.
Would you think Hirudegarn was that strong? Or that the movie had a poor balance of powers?

Of course this movie is supposed to have "deep involvement from Toriyama", but Toriyama is know for his forgetfulness, and it has been a long time since he finished Dragon Ball.
It's a bit of both, I'll admit that. The difference between the first 12 movies and 13 is that Movie 13 actually feels like a film rather than extensive episodes. One could argue that Movie 9 feels like a film too, but it's kind of a rip off of Cell Games. Quite frankly, I would like the new film to be similar to Movie 13 except a mindless monster who just destroys everything in his path, and can't speak. Having an intelligent villian would be nice for a change. Chilled doesn't count because he's a piece of garabge.

I haven't seen Ultimate Gohan in battle in new animation yet, so it would be sweet to see him in action.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:27 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Am I the only one that feels that this is a little...too soon. I guess they got a few months to rebuild hype and nostalgia, but still, Kai didn't finish that long ago. Oh well, I guess Toei saw how well the whole movie marketing thing worked with Strong World.
Is this another Dragon Ball re-birth before the thing's even died again?
Oh, and does Toei still do the 'Film Festival, double feature' things or are most of their movies now stand alone showings?- I'd really like this thing to be a 90 minute epic.
Yeah, I've been having similar thoughts. It doesn't really feel like some big new thing because there's a new announcement every single year lately. Episode of Bardock, PETSS, JSAT, new video games, DBSD, Kai. It doesn't really feel like some special revival when it seems like there's literally something in production at all times.

I have to disagree with this. None of the things listed there come anywhere close to being as important or relevant to the fandom as this. I mean, I'm big fan of the seriesn yet I was only moderately intersted in anytjing that came out in these past few years and forgot about them kinda fast. The little animated features, DBSD, not even Kai are on the same level as a brand new movie.

My only fear is that it will end up dissapointing the fans somehow. I remember the hype and the excitement surrounding "The Legend of Korra" and sometimes I feel that all ift left in it's wake is anger and bitterness. Same as with the Berserk movie. There was much joy and happiness when it was announced, especially since Studio 4C was involved, yet the actual movie seems to have been a major let down for a lot of people when they saw the 3D- like animation. I have to also admit, it doesn't look too good from what I have seen until now. Just hope Toei doesn't plan anything similar....
Last edited by Michsi on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 am

I know this is only quasi on topic, but after wondering about the costumes used on DBZ Movie 14's poster, I looked over the JSAT poster again. I know a lot of the characters have inconsistencies with the outfits used there and the ones seen in the actual movie, but I just noticed that Gure is the only one that actually has a different color scheme... o.O

How did I not see this before?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 am

Was digging (and cringing) through my old posts and found this:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=16681
Yep, 14 year old me totally called this-well, kinda... :P

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:06 am

Even if the movie ends up sub-par (which early news would seem to dictate against), I'm always glad to see things still being done with the franchise.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 am

thats to long to wait :|

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:36 am

I read something like it will be an adaptation of the story from manga?????
Premature rumor probably.
But if this will be something new, I hope AT will design some fierce villain, not like that purple blob in 2008 Special.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 am

mikezilla2 wrote:thats to long to wait :|
Nope, it's not at all. The fact that it's announced around a year before release shows that this isn't a movie they are just rushing out without any real thought. It would indicate to me that there is genuine effort going into this.

It doesn't have to be amazing for me. If it's anything like Trigun: Badlands Rumble, I will be happy. A fun, stand-alone return of the characters with much improvement on the visuals and a whole lot of action that's true to the original series.

If Toriyama's involvement allows them to do a little more than the norm with the characters, then that makes it all the more sweet!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 am

Well, I'm happy to wait and I'm very excited by this. From what I read in the news article in the main page, Toriyama is involved and seems to be excited about it. And I know that when Toriyama is excited about doing something, we can expect great results.

I hope we get a whole new villain, or villains, that are in no way connected to any other before. The past two original animations; "Goku and Friends Return" and "Episode of Bardock"; both featured characters directly connected to Freeza.

Most movie villains are connected to some other character or at least based of them. Garlic is kind of based on Daimao, Bojack on Cell and Janemba on Buu. The only true original features in terms of characters and plot in my view are "The World's Strongest", "Dragon Fist Explosion", "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" and the GT TV Special "Goku's Side Story". It doesn't matter if they're good or bad when compared to other features, what matters is that at least they feel fresh and original. Each of them has got it's own charm and spin on the series. "Dragon Fist Explosion" is kind of like an old Kaiju film; "The World's Strongest" features really good martial arts; "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" manages to stay original whilst at the same time bringing old obscure grudges into play; "Goku's Side Story" is a fun little story in it's own. Even "Super Warrior Defeat" is a good original style of movie, the plot is like an old B-Style monster/horror movie, if only it didn't feature Broli once again.

In sum, I hope this movie proves to be an original effort, maybe the plot won't be the most original thing but I hope that they at least won't borrow from past features or arcs. And maybe we get a whole new villain and possible allies as well.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 am

mikezilla2 wrote:thats to long to wait :|
It's even longer than you think. The 30 March 2013 date is for the theatrical release. Put some extra months for the DVD/Internet release. Put even more months (or years) if you wait for FUNi to release this, if they ever do.

Now what I'm afraid is this: Will Toriyama remember that Ultimate Gohan & SS3 Gotenks are stronger than SS3 Goku? Because if not, then who is stopping Toei to overpower Goku like they did in Movie 13 and GT?

Either way, I'm very excited about this, though I will have to wait for this too much... :cry:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:26 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Now what I'm afraid is this: Will Toriyama remember that Ultimate Gohan & SS3 Gotenks are stronger than SS3 Goku? Because if not, then who is stopping Toei to overpower Goku like they did in Movie 13 and GT?
Oh my god dude. Seriously, power levels are bullshit. Just go with the flow. Throughout the franchise, someone always decides to randomly boost a character, normally either Goku or Gohan. Toriyama does this as well. At first Goku always had random boost of power, then it was Gohan with various "unlock" techniques or "randomly tapping into a new form". It's just the way the franchise works. I think we would all enjoy better by not worrying about who's supposed to be stronger than who.
In any case it's still almost a year away, so no point in worrying about that.

About the wait, I know people get anxious but, just fill your time with other things, it will be worth the wait for sure. Here's hoping it will eventually be released in international theatres!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 am

DNA wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Now what I'm afraid is this: Will Toriyama remember that Ultimate Gohan & SS3 Gotenks are stronger than SS3 Goku? Because if not, then who is stopping Toei to overpower Goku like they did in Movie 13 and GT?
Oh my god dude. Seriously, power levels are bullshit. Just go with the flow. Throughout the franchise, someone always decides to randomly boost a character, normally either Goku or Gohan. Toriyama does this as well. At first Goku always had random boost of power, then it was Gohan with various "unlock" techniques or "randomly tapping into a new form". It's just the way the franchise works. I think we would all enjoy better by not worrying about who's supposed to be stronger than who.
In any case it's still almost a year away, so no point in worrying about that.
There's a difference between giving them an actual in story boost and then just having them stronger for no reason at all, which is a legitimate concern. Some people like consistency.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 am

Saiga wrote:There's a difference between giving them an actual in story boost and then just having them stronger for no reason at all, which is a legitimate concern. Some people like consistency.
Fair enough, even so, I wouldn't count "Dragon Fist Explosion" in that train of thought. A stronger technique doesn't mean a stronger character overall. Especially with a character which strength alone couldn't beat.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 am

I took a closer at the article, so Tadayoshi Yamamuro is the one in charge of the animation , that means he is also art director, right?
Well, you can't have it all.....I'm not really a fan of how the characters look now, but maybe I'll change my mind once I see a trailer or something. I mean, this is movie quality afterall.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:50 am

DNA wrote:Fair enough, even so, I wouldn't count "Dragon Fist Explosion" in that train of thought. A stronger technique doesn't mean a stronger character overall. Especially with a character which strength alone couldn't beat.
Just re-watched the fight, maybe Goku wasn't that strong. Gotenks & Gohan were caught off-guard and defeated by Hildegarn, though Goku seems to have grown stronger since Boo arc. Not that this is a bad thing.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Just re-watched the fight, maybe Goku wasn't that strong. Gotenks & Gohan were caught off-guard and defeated by Hildegarn, though Goku seems to have grown stronger since Boo arc. Not that this is a bad thing.
There you go. Goku is always progressing in the series and franchise in general. Surpassing others is what he does. And again, Hildegarn is not an enemy you can defeat by strength alone. Goku defeated him fair and square with a new special technique, not because he was stronger than Gohan or Gotenks.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 am

It's a new movie? I saw the countdown, but even then I wasn't going to get my hopes up for anything significant. Usually these things are hyped up and then they're nothing exciting whatsoever. So I kept my expectations very low.

I'm happy to see them keeping the series alive, as I just got back into it (although the games making every character go Super Saiyan 3 is getting a bit excessive).

Sure looks weird to see Boo era Kuririn with that get up.