Cell a Solar System Buster ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Cell a Solar System Buster ?

Post by shonenhikada » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 am

Chapter: 415 (DBZ 221), P3.2, P4.2
Context: while charging the Kamehameha
Cell: “I’ve already gathered enough ki power to blow away not only the Earth, but the solar system as well!”
Random people far away: “Wh-what’s happening!?” “It’s an earthquake…!”

---
Was Cell bluffing or did he really have the power to destroy a solar system ? :cry:

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: Cell a Solar System Buster ?

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:14 am

shonenhikada wrote:[img]
Chapter: 415 (DBZ 221), P3.2, P4.2
Context: while charging the Kamehameha
Cell: “I’ve already gathered enough ki power to blow away not only the Earth, but the solar system as well!”
Random people far away: “Wh-what’s happening!?” “It’s an earthquake…!”

---
Was Cell bluffing or did he really have the power to destroy a solar system ? :cry:
Why would he be bluffing? He's already injured Gohan severely and he gained a massive Zenkai from the explosion earlier so nobody except for an uninjured Gohan could do anything to stop him.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50 am

No one is ever shown blowing up more than a planet, not even Buu. Even if he thinks he has the power required to demolish everything in our Solar System at once, I doubt he had the means to actually accomplish the task while everything is still out in its natural orbit (could prossibly do it if someone gathered it all in a nice little confined area for him). His only real option would be to take out the sun, but I'm not sure if even that would work as we've never seen anyone try it in the manga and the sun seems impervious to ki attacks in the movies and GT. =P
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Meh, Buu's only spoke of planet busting. Cell is talking out of his ass.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Why does anyone think Cell was lying? I mean, jeez, this is Dragon Ball. If blowing up a fucking planet with ki is possible, then why shouldn't a solar system? This fucking shit comes up time and time again.

We are never given a reason to assume that Cell's bluffing, just because you want to apply real-life science rules to a children's fantasy manga made by a guy who wrote what was originally a gag manga on the seat of his pants.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:40 pm

Who's applying real life physics? Even Buu never spoke of busting a Solar System and Buu is in a whole nother dimension from Cell. And Buu is as arrogant as it gets. Wouldn't even admit Gotenks was stronger than him despiter getting his ass kicked the entire fight.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Who's applying real life physics? Even Buu never spoke of busting a Solar System and Buu is in a whole nother dimension from Cell. And Buu is as arrogant as it gets. Wouldn't even admit Gotenks was stronger than him despiter getting his ass kicked the entire fight.
Who's to say Boo couldn't bust a solar system? Just because he never said doesn't mean he couldn't. Heck, if Kaioushin was scared shitless of him, perhaps he could even destroy the entire universe, including the afterlife. Both he and SS3 Gotenks ripped a dimensional hole by screaming at the top of their lungs.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Gotenks-Buu states that he is going to destroy the planet and nothing more. Kid Buu is only able to destroy Earth and nothing more despite being at minimum 4x stronger than SPC.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm not Rocketman, I'm not applying real life anything to the series because I never paid attention in science class. lol Cell says he can blow up our Solar System, but even some of Buu's biggest beams only take out planets. Regardless of if he has the power or not, as I said before, unless "taking out the sun" and just letting chaos take its course was what he meant, I doubt anything he can throw has the blast radius to blow up everything at once. He could always fire a lot of beams out and hope he potshots everything, but that defeats the statement being made while charging a Kamehameha.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Vegeta with an 18000 PL was able to take out Earth with the Gallick Gun. I'm pretty sure Super Perfect Cell is more than capable to take out the solar system. Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't say all at once.... maybe he ment planet by planet like Buu.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:00 pm

It's as though Cell was implying that if Gohan failed to stop that Kamehameha, the whole solar system would die.
But the sun was up at the time, wasn't it? So there goes the easiest explanation.
Maybe Jupiter was behind Earth at the time and Cell saw it on the way in. :P.
If it's anything like our Jupiter, blowing it up could cause problems for everyone else.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Not sure if any one needed it but heres an English version.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't say all at once.... maybe he ment planet by planet like Buu.
That wouldn't really be a feat worth mentioning then. Even Freeza would be capable of destroying the Solar System one object at a time, and he's a pissant in comparison by that point in time...

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Who's applying real life physics? Even Buu never spoke of busting a Solar System and Buu is in a whole nother dimension from Cell. And Buu is as arrogant as it gets. Wouldn't even admit Gotenks was stronger than him despiter getting his ass kicked the entire fight.
Despite Vegeta almost destroying the Earth when fighting Goku, for some reason it has been constantly used as a mean to prove the strength of a new and more powerfull villain. For example when Freeza was using 50% of his power he was boasting about how he could destroy Namek.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I think some people would think that he is laying since so that he could have Gohan try to fight back at him? The power gab to the Solar System and a Planet is huge. From what I can remember that the sun's GBE is on the order of 1e41j, compared to around 2e32j for the earth. I guess that SPC would have to be 1,000 times stronger then Final Form Freeza?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 pm

I really don't see why people always have to go on the basis of "No proof, so why should we believe him/her?" it may be acceptable in Vegeta's case in the Saiyan saga because he was in a blind rage when he said it and he wanted to force Goku's hand by making him take on his Galick-ho. But we're given nothing like that in this scenario, during this scene Cell clearly has the advantage and is of a level head when he announces this solar system busting quote. He has nothing to gain by saying he can destroy the solar system, just saying he's going to destroy the Earth would have been enough of an incentive to force Gohan's hand but he clearly didn't care about this when he said he could wipe away the solar system because, as it was, Gohan was severely injured anyway and he had lost over half his ki. Are we not supposed to believe him because he never did it or because another character never mentions solar system busting again? Even if a vastly more powerful enemy could destroy the solar system and more, do they really need to announce it? If our part of the galaxy is the only bit to contain life then saying they're going to destroy Earth(The only habitable planet in our solar system) is really the only thing they need to mention unless there are other habituated planets that will also be caught in the blast. Cell is clearly just boasting how powerful he is here because he can, there is no underline reason why we shouldn't take his word for it unlike the Vegeta incident(Though I also consider the Vegeta incident plausible because Goku knows his limits so if Vegeta was bluffing Goku would have known, given Goku can also match Vegeta's power so anything Vegeta can do Goku can pull off himself).
Hellspawn28 wrote:I think some people would think that he is laying since so that he could have Gohan try to fight back at him? The power gab to the Solar System and a Planet is huge. From what I can remember that the sun's GBE is on the order of 1e41j, compared to around 2e32j for the earth. I guess that SPC would have to be 1,000 times stronger then Final Form Freeza?
Assuming the destructive force of Ki is linear in growth, it could be exponential or cubic.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:25 pm

I have trouble buying that there's so much energy there that it can destroy the Solar System twice over and fuck-all happens to, say, the cameraman.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Rocketman wrote:I have trouble buying that there's so much energy there that it can destroy the Solar System twice over and fuck-all happens to, say, the cameraman.
You forget that all humans who aren't part of the Z warrior group are protected by gag forcefields.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 pm

But why would Cell bluff? No-one's actually given a reason as to why Cell would lie about destroying the solar system other than "well...it's ridiculous, so no way could he do it!" So is destroying a planet's core, but no-one's complaining about that.

I don't know how else to explain it.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Rocketman wrote:I have trouble buying that there's so much energy there that it can destroy the Solar System twice over and fuck-all happens to, say, the cameraman.
The same logic should apply to planet bursting attacks, but we have plenty tons of these, some which actually destroyed planets.