Cell a Solar System Buster ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: Cell a Solar System Buster ?

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That is literally what I just said. You were the one who originally screwed up in your comparison...
I know, I wasn't thinking straight when I put up the post. I know the numbers. I was looking at the part where you said "He would be 4 Gohans. SS is x50, SS2 is x100 and SS4 is x400."

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Hitiro wrote:I know, I wasn't thinking straight when I put up the post. I know the numbers. I was looking at the part where you said "He would be 4 Gohans. SS is x50, SS2 is x100 and SS4 is x400."
That's just karma at work. Make a typo while pointing out a typo. :roll:
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Hitiro wrote:I know, I wasn't thinking straight when I put up the post. I know the numbers. I was looking at the part where you said "He would be 4 Gohans. SS is x50, SS2 is x100 and SS4 is x400."
That's just karma at work. Make a typo while pointing out a typo. :roll:
It happens, but mine was a bigger mistake, lol. My bad. I don't know how 200x got into my brain when I was writing that post or why I didn't pick up on it after re-reading the post to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Well, Kaioushin thought that Majin Boo could destroy the entire universe, including the afterlife, and everyone seemed to believe that.
Are you talking about the filler scene with Super Buu screaming to death during his battle with Vegito. I remember that was a chain reaction and would be done with raw power. The universe is too big and I doubt any Dragon Ball character has the raw power to pull off that power.
No, of course not. :roll:

I can't remember whether or not Kaioushin flat-out said that, but I believe it's implied. Boo can reach the afterlife, for goodness sake. Anyway, I'm seriously done now.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Hitiro wrote:
Rocketman wrote:There is no plausible way for a six-foot speck of carbon to destroy the solar system.

http://www.phrenopolis.com/perspective/solarsystem/ Have a scale model for funsies.
A six foot speck of carbon shouldn't be able to destroy the moon or the Earth but they do. This is a manga, they can do whatever the hell the author puts into it. If Akira Toriyama says they can destroy the solar system then that's exactly what they can do. It isn't plausible Superman destroyed the equivalent of our solar system with a sneeze either but he did.
Sometimes statements need to be discarded when they make no sense. Piccolo is stated to be trash next to the Base Saiyans, yet i am sure most people ignore this.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:
Hitiro wrote:
Rocketman wrote:There is no plausible way for a six-foot speck of carbon to destroy the solar system.

http://www.phrenopolis.com/perspective/solarsystem/ Have a scale model for funsies.
A six foot speck of carbon shouldn't be able to destroy the moon or the Earth but they do. This is a manga, they can do whatever the hell the author puts into it. If Akira Toriyama says they can destroy the solar system then that's exactly what they can do. It isn't plausible Superman destroyed the equivalent of our solar system with a sneeze either but he did.
Sometimes statements need to be discarded when they make no sense. Piccolo is stated to be trash next to the Base Saiyans, yet i am sure most people ignore this.
Dragon Ball doesn't run on sense. People can destroy planets, create dimensional rips through screaming, etc.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Yeah so? Cell can destroy a Solar System with a FP KHH, yet Kid Buu can't when he is at the very minimum 4x stronger than him?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:55 pm

Vegeta could destroy the Earth, and yet guys literally thousands of times stronger than him can use all of their power in a fight and nothing happens.
Mystic Gohan wrote:Piccolo is stated to be trash next to the Base Saiyans
Not necessarily. Babidi and Darbra say their powers would be enough to revive Boo, and you don't believe the Saiyans regular form is enough to do that, right? They seem to know of Super Saiyan somehow.

Of course some chapter laters it is revealed that Babidi had no idea that Goku could transform, or that Pui-pui would be defeated so easily. There is a plot-hole here, but it is beetween these different parts of the story, it doesn't change that Babidi and Darbra said Piccolo was only weaker than three guys who combined have enough energy to revive Boo.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Nah man Dabura is shocked when Goku turns SSJ. A and even if he did sense some SSJ energy, when he called the Saiyans amazing, he should have gotten a whiff of that SSJ3 and realized they are all trash compared to Goku.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm

I don't think energy is the same thing as power or ki. I think the Saiyans have the same amount of "energy" in all their forms, and they simply have more of it than Piccolo.

They were suppressing their energy, and when you do that you can't be sensed at all by the methods we know of, so I highly doubt they're talking about their base form battle powers in that situation.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Dabura was able to sense evil energy in Vegeta that Goku couldn't sense. Dabura does have special ki sensing abilities IMO.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Dabura was able to sense evil energy in Vegeta that Goku couldn't sense. Dabura does have special ki sensing abilities IMO.
That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ki. I know they can sense energy, but I'm saying that energy =/= ki.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 pm

Saiga wrote:I don't think energy is the same thing as power or ki. I think the Saiyans have the same amount of "energy" in all their forms, and they simply have more of it than Piccolo.
But they said Boo could only be revived because Goku and Vegeta have been fighting as Super Saiyan 2.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Fox666 wrote:
Saiga wrote:I don't think energy is the same thing as power or ki. I think the Saiyans have the same amount of "energy" in all their forms, and they simply have more of it than Piccolo.
But they said Boo could only be revived because Goku and Vegeta have been fighting as Super Saiyan 2.
Yes, because of the increased damage of fighting as Super Saiyan 2.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:44 pm

But what about the energy meter Spopovitch and Yamu used to search for people to steal energy for Boo? It increased when Gohan transformed in Super Saiyan 2...

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Fox666 wrote:But what about the energy meter Spopovitch and Yamu used to search for people to steal energy for Boo? It increased when Gohan transformed in Super Saiyan 2...
Kili reader, like the one Bobbidi had. If they can't sense energy, then the only way they can find distinguish people is through their ki/kili.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Saiga wrote:
Mystic Gohan wrote:Dabura was able to sense evil energy in Vegeta that Goku couldn't sense. Dabura does have special ki sensing abilities IMO.
That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ki. I know they can sense energy, but I'm saying that energy =/= ki.
IIRC, It's been stated before that you are sensing there energy otherwise known as ki. I see no difference.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Now that I think of it, have we ever observed anything destroying a star?
Hm, I recall reading something about Blazars tearing apart galaxies. Keep in mind that a Blazar is basically a quasar turned into a concentrated beam, fueled by an entire galaxy of its own.

Ok, so I think it's safe to say that realistically, stars aren't going to be easily destroyed by anything less than another star.
Terrestrial planets are far more fragile, in a way, but keep in mind that's comparing them to stars.
An often parroted line regarding the nuclear arms race is that we possess enough power to destroy the Earth several times over. I seem to remember the truthfulness of that line being disputed, perhaps in a discussion here, I don't quite remember.
One idea about the origin of the moon is that something really big whacked the Earth hard enough that it puked out the moon.

So, an over-the-top comicbook martial artist whose body runs on chemical processes willing every molecule between him and the moon into shattering it... I suppose that doesn't require quite so much suspension of disbelief, at least compared to what follows.

Freeza is an alien who doesn't need oxygen (or many internal organs, for that matter) to survive. I suppose it's not too hard to buy that such a different creature could tap in to much more destructive forces, somehow, and wipe out a planet.
Saiyans are another matter entirely, but they somehow transform into giant monkeys and can still reproduce with humans, so I don't think I wanna touch them here.

So let's move on to Cell. Thing is, his name and origin story imply that Freza is still cell-based. Even if Freeza's "cells" differ radically enough from those of earthlings so as to permit some of the wacky stuff he does, would they really mesh well enough with the other cells used in Cell's creation? Let's say that it's the perfect scenario, and Gero's computer manages to combine all the strengths and none of the weaknesses (except perhaps in the department of visual atractiveness, or the department of "don't give your enemies the opportunity to kill you").
There's still one piece missing from this, one so delightfully vague that it is useless to bring up in a debate: the so-called "infinite energy" reactors in #17 and #18.

Also, when Cell made his bost, this was after he had been teleported to the afterlife, blew up, regenerated from hardly anything, and teleported back to Earth. I'm going to assume he metabolized bunches of King Kai's planet in the process.

... Neah, still looking hard to make sense of.

So, I'm looking at one of two things:
- those infinite energy reactors do something cool that requires a lot of fantheorying.
- Cell was aiming at Jupiter through the Earth, and Dragonworld Jupiter is like our Jupiter in that it keeps most of the bigger chunks of debris in the solar system organized. So if Cell blew up Jupiter and thoroughly scattered the remains, he's just turned the solar system into a scary mess of orphanned moons and asteroids and comits. Wanting some Europapean lobster? Too bad, Cell just caused Uropa and Io to have a tragic Yin-Yang accident. Wanna build a sand castle on Mars? Probability of Mars getting a shiny new crater the size of Mars just shot up. Cytherian acid bath? That's if Earth-guts don't screw with Venus's everything.

As for Buu...
When did he ever try in his reign of destruction? Against Vegetto, perhaps?
Super Buu with all his absorbtions seems like a candidate for blowing up everything. Why he never tried to just merge his body with the earth and turn it into pink tentacle land, I don't know.
... Oh jees. Now I'm imagining Goku and Vegeta trying to fight PLANET! Buu. To the Batcave!
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote: IIRC, It's been stated before that you are sensing there energy otherwise known as ki. I see no difference.
I don't recall that ever being stated in the manga. And the fact that you can't sense suppressed ki when you can sense someone's energy makes them seem different enough to me.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Saiga wrote:
Mystic Gohan wrote: IIRC, It's been stated before that you are sensing there energy otherwise known as ki. I see no difference.
I don't recall that ever being stated in the manga. And the fact that you can't sense suppressed ki when you can sense someone's energy makes them seem different enough to me.
? I must have missed the point. What does suppressed ki have to do with sensing energy?