What If Tsuru-sen'nin and Tao Pai Pai joined with Gero?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

What If Tsuru-sen'nin and Tao Pai Pai joined with Gero?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 am

As I was rereading Dragon Ball volume #15 today it occurred to me that Toriyama missed a chance to bring the Tsuru-sen’nin and Tao Pai Pai back for the Artificial Humans arc. Both could have been enhanced cyborg type Artificial Humans like #17 and #18. With the sizable amounts of money they’ve likely earned from assassination jobs they could easily act as investors in Gero’s research. Additionally, their grudges toward the cast could have made for an even more interesting match-up, especially if the story was played as a sort of classic martial arts revenge arc. Tsuru-sen’nin goes about first humiliating the Kame-sen’nin and his students, making a mockery of their name to torture them then goes for the kill. It’s hardly a basic outline, but I think it is solid enough premise that a more personal story could have been squeezed out of it, especially for Kuririn, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chaozu. Heck, maybe even throw in the Tsuru-sen’nin finally killing Muten Roushi in a classic “master is killed by his rival” type way. Heck, Gero, #17, #18 and #19 could still be involved, acting simply as foes for the stronger Son Gokuu, Vegeta, Trunks, and Piccolo.

Anyone else think there’s a potential story for these characters, even if not in this vein?
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: What If Tsuru-sen'nin and Tao Pai Pai joined with Gero?

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:54 am

I don't think it would work in the AH arc itself since there were already enough things going on. But Gero somehow coming back and deciding to get Tao Pai Pai and the Crane Hermit to help him would be really interesting as it's own story.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:28 am

It's hard to imagine how this would work with the Android arc as it is, but altering it to be something like this from the get go? It could prove to be awesome. I always have been kind of disappointed that the two are never brought up again since they're supposed to be out there getting ready for revenge.

I almost think it'd be funnier to see Pilaf's crew and them team up and come back for revenge though, and watch as it all fails horribly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:27 am

I assume we're ignoring the half-hearted attempts that filler made at bringing back Tao.

I assume that #17 and #18 weren't martial artists before their conversion, meaning that Gero had to write to their brains everything he needed them to know.
It would have been easier to use real martial artists like Tao and Tsuru Sen'nin and focus on the physical enhancement part, but then there is still their personal motivations to contend with.
And, well, #18 is Krillin's last-ditch effort to fulfill his dreams. :P

Having Goku's disease be an assassination attempt rather than chance might be interesting, but it might be difficult to handle well.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:46 pm

It would've been rather interesting in the dub had this happened.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Remove the useless 16, 17 and 18 (maybe even 19) for Tao and Tsuru. That would be a great way to reintroduce the Z-warriors after their revival. Plus, it would be a nice break from the intergalactic elements from the Namek arc and return to a more martial arts setting.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Dr. Gero wouldn't want a couple of weaklings like Tao Pai Pai and Tsurusennin tripping up his powerful androids with the infinite energy. Gero as Android 20 could have easily flicked those two into the sun if he wanted to.

That's like asking why the Ginyu Force didn't hire Raditz or why Super Buu didn't team up with Pilaf.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 pm

penguintruth wrote:Dr. Gero wouldn't want a couple of weaklings like Tao Pai Pai and Tsurusennin tripping up his powerful androids with the infinite energy. Gero as Android 20 could have easily flicked those two into the sun if he wanted to.

That's like asking why the Ginyu Force didn't hire Raditz or why Super Buu didn't team up with Pilaf.
Maybe I didn't make this very clear, but my intention was for Tao Pai Pai and the Tsuru-sen'nin to be turned into Artificial Humans. It'd certainly be interesting to see if that would make them stronger than #17 and #18.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:21 pm

penguintruth wrote:Dr. Gero wouldn't want a couple of weaklings like Tao Pai Pai and Tsurusennin tripping up his powerful androids with the infinite energy. Gero as Android 20 could have easily flicked those two into the sun if he wanted to.

I think you're missing the idea here. If he used them as the base to make into Androids, then they'd likely have been even stronger, than two random kids he got somewhere to make into Androids. And it'd be a more compelling story option maybe, to have them be people the heroes knew in the past.

Edit: Ack, didn't see that this was already pointed out. Never mind. Carry on then. ^_^;
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Tao DID join with Gero. He gave his grandchildren to the mad doctor in exchange for those nifty cybernetic enhancements prior to the 23rd TB. :wink:

But in all seriousness, I would have liked it more if Gero used Tao and Tsuru as the bases for some of the major Androids. Would have made the character interactions more personal, and would have brought new relevance to now useless/forgotten characters.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Maybe if they were there along with 16, 17 and 18 since I like them. If there was no Cell to steal the show, there might've been other androids for Goku and co. to contend with. Like Gero's own Neo Red Ribbon Army. Wonder if this'd happen if Toriyama got different idea after the chapter when 19 is killed by Vegeta.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:20 pm

The revenge thing was already played out at the 23rd World Tournament. Tao did appear as an android/cyborg/whatever you want to call him. It is never stated or implied, but I always assumed that his revival as a half man/half machine was due to Dr. Gero of the Red Ribbon Army. Tao had the funds from all his assassination jobs, and Gero had the know how, and they both had connections to the former Red Ribbon. Since Gero wasn't thought of until the Z series, but was implied to have been a former Red Ribbon scientist and collaborator on the earlier Androids and prototypes, it just made sense to me that Tao paid Gero to revive him for his revenge against Tenshinhan and Son Goku. It all fits together neatly, and makes sense, so that's what I always assumed went down behind the scenes.

As for them returning as androids later in Z, it would be looked on as a 23rd Tournament rehash of sorts. Still a neat idea to contemplate though.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah, Gero had already made Tao Pai Pai into an artificial human. After he turned Red into #9 he turned Tao Pai Pai into #10. Deep down you all know this to be true, no matter what lack of evidence we have. Yep, it's true, I'm not crazy.