Yamcha uses the Gravity room

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: Yamcha uses the Gravity room

Post by Hitiro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:09 am

In Brightest Day wrote:I hate always having to be that guy, but nothing really actually suggests Yamcha was lazy. He did train for years straight like the others. When Freeza showed up and then later the Androids, it was clear he didn't want to die again. That's about it, though.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 261 (DBZ 67), P2.8
Yamcha: “Anyway, I’ve really had it with the gravity here. My body’s heavy and I can’t even run easily.”
To be honest, any guy who complains about the gravity on Kaio's planet I don't really see them spending 3 years incrementally making it more and more difficult on their body.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:14 am

They had literally just got there and Goku made the same complaint. It's still not fair to say he's lazy.

Edit: By the look on his face he kind of said it in jest anyway.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:29 am

In Brightest Day wrote:Presumably meaning normal people.
No, it's comparing humans to Saiyans.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 am

mysticboy wrote:Normal humans would be crushed instantly with only 2-3G's though.
Most people will black out at about 5 g after a few seconds due to lack of blood/oxygen to the brain, but it won't literally crush them or anything. Fighter pilots put up with worse than that. Humans can even survive exposure to 40 g for a very brief time (i.e. less than a second).
Last edited by Bussani on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 am

Rocketman wrote:
In Brightest Day wrote:Presumably meaning normal people.
No, it's comparing humans to Saiyans.
Well, that's actually exactly what I said. In reality, comparing any of the Z-Fighters to normal people is ridiculous. If Toriyama meant Kuririn and the others, he would have specified.

Anyway, this is getting off-track. Making threads about the Human characters is hard for like this exact reason.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:48 am

Hitiro wrote:
In Brightest Day wrote:I hate always having to be that guy, but nothing really actually suggests Yamcha was lazy. He did train for years straight like the others. When Freeza showed up and then later the Androids, it was clear he didn't want to die again. That's about it, though.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 261 (DBZ 67), P2.8
Yamcha: “Anyway, I’ve really had it with the gravity here. My body’s heavy and I can’t even run easily.”
To be honest, any guy who complains about the gravity on Kaio's planet I don't really see them spending 3 years incrementally making it more and more difficult on their body.
It took 40 days for Goku to be fast enough to catch a running monkey in 10 times gravity, and on his first day, he was struggling to even walk. Yet six days after Yamucha makes the above statement, they all appear to be rather comfortable. As others have implied, any person who is ABLE to complain about being in ten times gravity is both extraordinarily impressive and in good company.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

CaptainKatsura
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CaptainKatsura » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:46 am

It's more than obvious that Gravity Room would have helped him, provided he doesn't start with too high G like in the filler. 20 G would be good for starters.

But actually, how much that training would have increased his power would be depend on his plot importance. Which is not high.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:06 am

In Brightest Day wrote:They had literally just got there and Goku made the same complaint. It's still not fair to say he's lazy.

The difference is Goku made the complaint that he couldn't move in his weighted clothing, he never once said he was fed up with the gravity. Yamcha just outright said he was fed up of the gravity because he couldn't move around properly. He may have only said it in a jest way but that doesn't mean what he said wasn't his actual opinion. Many people joke about something they actually feel about, or have an opinion on.

MisguidedGhost
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MisguidedGhost » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 am

Using a gravity room would've helped Yamcha, for sure, but it still wouldn't have increased his strength to the point of relevance to the plot. It's extremely difficult to pin down even approximate battle powers for the humans in the android arc, but I see no reason to think that, even with the gravity room, Yamcha would approach 1,000,000. So, sure, he'd be stronger but it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the plot.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Bussani wrote:
mysticboy wrote:Normal humans would be crushed instantly with only 2-3G's though.
Most people will black out at about 5 g after a few seconds due to lack of blood/oxygen to the brain, but it won't literally crush them or anything. Fighter pilots put up with worse than that. Humans can even survive exposure to 40 g for a very brief time (i.e. less than a second).
Yeah. Ridden a roller coaster? Especially the likes of the Hollywood Tower of Terror / Space Shot / those spinny gravitron chambers? You've survived more than three G.
... after that trip to spacecamp, I wanted my own spinny chamber so I could train at increased gravity. :lol:
I apparently forgot the part where the 4.5Gs made my face hurt after only a second or so.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:36 pm

MisguidedGhost wrote:Using a gravity room would've helped Yamcha, for sure, but it still wouldn't have increased his strength to the point of relevance to the plot. It's extremely difficult to pin down even approximate battle powers for the humans in the android arc, but I see no reason to think that, even with the gravity room, Yamcha would approach 1,000,000. So, sure, he'd be stronger but it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the plot.
If Yamcha got kai-o-ken and had used the gravity machine he would have been useful until android 18, and 17 showed up.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Hitiro wrote:
In Brightest Day wrote:They had literally just got there and Goku made the same complaint. It's still not fair to say he's lazy.

The difference is Goku made the complaint that he couldn't move in his weighted clothing, he never once said he was fed up with the gravity. Yamcha just outright said he was fed up of the gravity because he couldn't move around properly. He may have only said it in a jest way but that doesn't mean what he said wasn't his actual opinion. Many people joke about something they actually feel about, or have an opinion on.
Eh, still seems like a really slippery argument to say that Yamcha was actually lazy. He was saying he was having a hard time adjusting, not that he hated it and didn't want to train there or anything. Understandable. Yamcha seemingly gets shit just for saying what everyone is thinking.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 pm

In Brightest Day wrote:Eh, still seems like a really slippery argument to say that Yamcha was actually lazy. He was saying he was having a hard time adjusting, not that he hated it and didn't want to train there or anything.
Especially since all of them apparently asked for harder training than Goku got.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:09 am

I wouldn't characterize Yamcha as lazy at all. If Toriyama had wanted to convey that, he would have made it a part of his character like Yajirobe. I think it's just that Toriyama didn't see Yamcha as a character worth investing much in. He was just a tertiary member of the B team, and his main reason for getting any screen time was to show that he was there.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 am

Bussani wrote:Especially since all of them apparently asked for harder training than Goku got.
Did they? I can't remember them saying they wanted harder training then Goku got. Yamcha and Kuririn were even offered to train with Goku, Piccolo and Gohan after they found out about the androids and they both said no. Kuririn said he would train at his own pace at Kame sennin's but Yamcha didn't really say much apart from declining training with them. He also admits to being the weakest member when the androids do show, so I feel he lacks the conviction he once had.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

Hitiro wrote:
Bussani wrote:Especially since all of them apparently asked for harder training than Goku got.
Did they? I can't remember them saying they wanted harder training then Goku got. Yamcha and Kuririn were even offered to train with Goku, Piccolo and Gohan after they found out about the androids and they both said no. Kuririn said he would train at his own pace at Kame sennin's but Yamcha didn't really say much apart from declining training with them. He also admits to being the weakest member when the androids do show, so I feel he lacks the conviction he once had.
When did Yamcha say he was the weakest member of the group when the androids showed up ?

NANLIT
Beyond Newbie

Post by NANLIT » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 am

Hitiro wrote:
Did they? I can't remember them saying they wanted harder training then Goku got. Yamcha and Kuririn were even offered to train with Goku, Piccolo and Gohan after they found out about the androids and they both said no. Kuririn said he would train at his own pace at Kame sennin's but Yamcha didn't really say much apart from declining training with them. He also admits to being the weakest member when the androids do show, so I feel he didn't lack the conviction he once had.
It could have been the SSJ's overwhelming power. Back when they asrrived at Kaio's place, the gap between them and Goku wasn't so big that they felt that they couldn't catch up because he hadn't turned SSJ yet. When they felt Freeza's, his father's, Goku's and Trunks's overwhelming power, that's when Yamcha really understood just how big the gap was between him and then. And since the Artificial Humans were said to be even stronger, it must have really shaken him.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:41 am

shonenhikada wrote:
Hitiro wrote:
When did Yamcha say he was the weakest member of the group when the androids showed up ?

The one named 'Chaozu' does not exist.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Chaozu wasn't there.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Kaboom wrote:Chaozu wasn't there.
That's why I dislike that good-for-nothing. All he does is whine and suck Tenshinhan's dick.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.