Themes still unique to Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Themes still unique to Dragonball

Post by Necrosaber » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:34 pm

It's hard to deny how influential the Dragonball series has been over the past couple decades. We can find elements of it littered throughout almost every shonen manga out there.

Because of the over saturation of these elements in today's action media, I've noticed a lot of youth dismissing the progenitor, Dragonball, as an anime full of cliche and predictable theming. Obviously it boils down to what they saw first. However, I'm wondering if there are certain ideas and themes still unique to the series that are rarely seen, if at all, in other manga/media.

Thoughts?

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Themes still unique to Dragonball

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm

That's tough considering that almost everything in Dragon Ball has been parodied or influential on other manga. The Super Saiyan or forms like it have been beaten to death.

I think out of everything, the overall random comedy has yet to be truly duplicated. There are funny series out there, but the stuff that Toriyama did in early Dragon ball really is unmatched, even today. It's so unique and random is practically "stoner-riffic"
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:That's tough considering that almost everything in Dragon Ball has been parodied or influential on other manga. The Super Saiyan or forms like it have been beaten to death.

I think out of everything, the overall random comedy has yet to be truly duplicated. There are funny series out there, but the stuff that Toriyama did in early Dragon ball really is unmatched, even today. It's so unique and random is practically "stoner-riffic"
That doesn't necessarily make it "unique." I agree that Toriyama operated at a level rarely matched by even today's manga scribes, but that just means he executed humor better than most.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 pm

kemuri07 wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:That's tough considering that almost everything in Dragon Ball has been parodied or influential on other manga. The Super Saiyan or forms like it have been beaten to death.

That doesn't necessarily make it "unique." I agree that Toriyama operated at a level rarely matched by even today's manga scribes, but that just means he executed humor better than most.
That's true, but I just thought I'd throw that out there because there really isn't anything else to mention that's exclusive to Dragon Ball.
But either way, the random and perverse comedy is extremely pronounced in most things Toriyama, not only Dragon Ball. If anything, Dr. Slump executes it better.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I'd say that it doesn't overdo the depressing or angsty moments (well, not 24/7) and Manga wise it doesn't drag things out. And it's also a simple story compared to Shonen series today without the heavy details.