DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vor

Post by funrush » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Which is weird since they thought this was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LauSn...1&feature=plcp

If you cant see the video, its Trunks slicing and dicing Freeza's lackies,uncut,on the Vortexx.
Next thin we know, they'll censor Goku slapping his wife through the wall (while wearing something that resembles a wife-beater), and punching his son in the face but show Yamcha getting impaled by Dr. Gero. :|
Nicktoons already censored the pat on the back through the wall thing, and the most explicit parts of the Gero impalement were edited.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Even theCW seems to lack consistent censorship policies! A shot of Green Arrow's ... uh, arrow... hitting someone in the face that was cut on the tv broadcast is used in one of their promos for the show. BS&P is really weird sometimes.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 pm

bkev wrote:Even theCW seems to lack consistent censorship policies! A shot of Green Arrow's ... uh, arrow... hitting someone in the face that was cut on the tv broadcast is used in one of their promos for the show. BS&P is really weird sometimes.
4Kids are involved. Their censorship policies consistency was always shit.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm

No. Just... no. I'm really, really tired of this misconception still lingering around here. Not only does 4Kids have NOTHING, yes, NOTHING to do with Vortex - they, in reality, are not responsible for the severity of these edits. Their plan was to air the Nicktoons version as-is in order to avoid in-house costs (this is confirmed somewhere on a Reddit AMA.) However, theCW's BS&P standards got in the way. That's why we have additional edits.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 pm

My Friend Cameron Recorded some footage of Last Week's DBZKai Episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPf_XQpuZyg&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Qk6Hk50Jg&feature=plcp

I cant see much but its something.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dbzkfan543

Post by dbzkfan543 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I seem to remember that they edited when King Cold gets blasted by Trunks so the beam doesn't go THROUGH him, it just hits him, which I believe was unedited in the Nicktoons version.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:08 pm

That's interesting. And I know gmster will hate me for this (Not that there's anything I can do to make him not do so) but I hope these exclusive premieres are a hit for Vortexx and Nicktoons.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:11 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That's interesting. And I know gmster will hate me for this (Not that there's anything I can do to make him not do so) but I hope these exclusive premieres are a hit for Vortexx and Nicktoons.
What are you talking about?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:27 pm

You know, that I'm always saying "I hope that blah blah blah" over and over.

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Looks like they cut out Android 18's kiss to Krillin from the episode :shock:
Guess kissing a guy in the cheek is considered bad now :roll:

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 pm

You've got to be shitting me.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:59 pm

trunkschan90 wrote:Looks like they cut out Android 18's kiss to Krillin from the episode :shock:
Wait, what the fuck? I... why? Why would they think that a kiss on the cheek is bad? What year is it again? I guess those seven year olds are too young to see kisses on the cheek (even though they might have already done that themselves anyway).

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm

.....Its worth it.

For 1 Million viewers. Its worth it.

...."Cries"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:40 pm

trunkschan90 wrote:Looks like they cut out Android 18's kiss to Krillin from the episode :shock:
Response
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:15 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srRWJzRhuzo

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:49 am

I'm guessing they're going for the 7-10 year-old boy demographic that thinks girls still have cooties.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:14 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:.....Its worth it.

For 1 Million viewers. Its worth it.

...."Cries"
You seem misinformed about the Nielsen system.

The most commonly cited Nielsen results are reported in two measurements: ratings points and share, usually reported as: "ratings points/share". As of September 1, 2010, there are an estimated 115.9 million television households in the United States. A single national ratings point represents one percent of the total number, or 1,159,000 households for the 2010–11 season. (I don't have the updated numbers, but it's still pretty accurate.)

This past week, DBZ Kai on CW got a 1.0/4. That means an average of 1.0% of all television-equipped households were tuned in to Kai at any given moment, while 4% of households watching TV were tuned into Kai during that time slot. The difference between rating and share is that a rating reflects the percentage of the total population of televisions tuned to a particular program while share reflects the percentage of televisions actually in use.

I have no idea where you're getting the 1 million viewers thing. Households don't necessarily translate to individual viewers, but the whole system is an estimation. It may sound like a negligible difference, but you seem to be applying a generalized amount to everything. It's a moot point anyway, total viewers don't matter, demographics do, particularly the 6-11 numbers, which is doing ok.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:04 pm

I know they dont. But still, whenever there's a 1.0 in the 6-11 demographic you can also expect loads of people from all other ages co-viewing. A Rule of Thumb I have is that if a show reaches a 1.0 they ALSO exceed the 1 million TOTAL VIEWERS. Sure they are not accounted by Advertisers, but they are taken in count by the CW.

The top programs among total viewers during the Vortexx block were:
WWE Saturday Morning Slam@10am(1,126,000 viewers / 0.7 HH rating)
Justice League Unlimited @9:30am(1,003,000 viewers / 0.6 HH rating)
Dragon Ball Z Kai @10:30am(841,000 viewers / 0.5 HH rating)
Iron Man: Armored Adventures @9am(802,000 viewers / 0.6 HH rating)
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy @8am(662,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
Yu-Gi-Oh! @11am(661,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal @8:30am(631,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
Rescue Heroes @7:30am(519,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal @11:30am(494,000 viewers / 0.3 HH rating)
Cubix @7am(457,000 viewers / 0.3 HH rating)
WWE Saturday Morning Slam was CW’s most watched Saturday morning program since 3/10/12 (Dragon Ball Z Kai @10:30am /1,140,000 viewers).
WWE Saturday Morning Slam was CW’s most watched Saturday morning program in the time period since 2/25/12 (Dragon Ball Z Kai /1,196,000 viewers).

This is from an earlier airdate. But all the programs that exceeded the 1.0 had 1 million viewers.

Of course, its not perfect. You could be right and there are just 200.000 kids 6-11 watching.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:A Rule of Thumb I have is that if a show reaches a 1.0 they ALSO exceed the 1 million TOTAL VIEWERS.
This assumption is incorrect. A 1.0 demo DOES NOT mean 1 million viewers, nor does it translate to total viewers.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:46 pm

I know, I told you I know that. But I DID check everything and the 1.0+ shows DID Score 1 million viewers SO FAR. I know it doesnt mean that there will be 1 million total viewers everytime. For all we know a 0.0 could still have viewers, but they are not counted because they are outside the demographic.