Is the "Never Say Die" thing truly needed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is the "Never Say Die" thing truly needed?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:05 am

And, for all the bad editing they did to the show, 4kids didnt either.

Yes, they didnt. That "Other World" in Yamcha's death was a pretty clever way of saying he was dying. Even though he was already dead.. :lol:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

How come people tend to treat the word "Death" and other synonyms as obscenities while words like "annihilate" and "obliterate" which are descriptions that go beyond merely dying even if Death is what they're trying to insinuate?

Hell, in promos of Episode 97, the announcer says "Goku is dead." DEAD! I'm sorry but WHAT?!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 pm

And Vortexx's website does admit Goku indeed DIES.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

matt0044 wrote:Anyone who has saw the Nicktoons version of Dragon Ball Z Kai clearly knows that the version they broadcast doesn't contain mentions of death, despite implying it or even showing it. I know it's a given that stuff like blood, cursing, lewdness and excessive violence are removed without disrupting the story most of the time but if death is going to be shown in a less than graphic way, then why not just say the words?

The worst part is that the DBZ movies and GT aired on Nicktoons with death mentions left intact. Hell, promo for Kai says that Goku has died and is dead after Cell blew up. Why couldn't they be consistent in whether or not they could reference death directly? I just doesn't make sense.

So really, was the removal of direct death reference actually needed for the Nicktoons version? It was step above Toonami for sure but why couldn't it say "death" and synonymous words too? It's a burning question that I need to ask.
Well, I imagine the never say die thing wasn't really for the show to be more appropriate to children, but to make less for the soccer moms to pin on them if they get mad.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 am

I guess its like Nintendo in the 80/90's. :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:And, for all the bad editing they did to the show, 4kids didnt either.

Yes, they didnt. That "Other World" in Yamcha's death was a pretty clever way of saying he was dying. Even though he was already dead.. :lol:
So basically instead of a quick death, he groaning in pain as he slowly dies? 4kids actually made it worse. 8)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Yup. The BS&P People are pretty dumb. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Yup. The BS&P People are pretty dumb. :lol:

MetroidJunkie
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetroidJunkie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I guess its like Nintendo in the 80/90's. :lol:
I don't think that's accurate, Nintendo never really got to the point of forcing other companies to censor death. Wolfenstein 3D still had you murdering people with guns, just English speaking generic soldiers without any blood involved and there wasn't anything implying they were still alive, they stopped moving. It was mostly blood, nudity, drugs, swearing, and religious involvement. Death was okay, even the Original Pokemon games had trainers lamenting the DEATH of their Pokemon in Pokemon Tower, it wasn't danced around.

It was weird how inconsistent the Nicktoons dub was about just censoring in general. It's okay for Gohan to angrily say that Frieza 'Killed my Dad, and Krillin too, and the others!' but Frieza couldn't make a much more mild 'Late Father' reference, and that was not only in the same episode but happened fairly close to each other. Of course, 4-kids was more consistent about removing EVERYTHING, replacing the aforementioned line with 'You hurt my Dad....!'

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 am

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I guess its like Nintendo in the 80/90's. :lol:
I don't think that's accurate, Nintendo never really got to the point of forcing other companies to censor death. Wolfenstein 3D still had you murdering people with guns, just English speaking generic soldiers without any blood involved and there wasn't anything implying they were still alive, they stopped moving. It was mostly blood, nudity, drugs, swearing, and religious involvement. Death was okay, even the Original Pokemon games had trainers lamenting the DEATH of their Pokemon in Pokemon Tower, it wasn't danced around.

It was weird how inconsistent the Nicktoons dub was about just censoring in general. It's okay for Gohan to angrily say that Freeza 'Killed my Dad, and Krillin too, and the others!' but Freeza couldn't make a much more mild 'Late Father' reference, and that was not only in the same episode but happened fairly close to each other. Of course, 4-kids was more consistent about removing EVERYTHING, replacing the aforementioned line with 'You hurt my Dad....!'
But That's all Nicktoons does, They DO allow death, Dying and killing, you just cant use those words.

If I remember Correctly... (I'm not listing people who returned to life to avoid a "They dont count, they got wished back!" retort)

Raditz died, Nappa Died,Loads of Frieza's henchmen died, The Ginyu Force died...Hell Android 16 (Who died for real and forever for being a robot) and Cell Died!

Oh and Nintendo censorship was not as light as you think.
More significant however were the rules regarding how death, and the description of death were allowed to be portrayed in Nintendo games. Unlike PC games of the time, when enemies were killed in Nintendo games their corpses usually vanished quickly, and did not lie around on the floor forever. The implication was that these characters were not really "dead" but were simply being "eliminated" from the game's universe in the same way pieces are "eliminated" from a Chess board during play.
So no, they werent killed, they were "Removed from play"

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/Nintendo.php

And pokemon mention of death came in 1995, when the censorship became obsolete when the Entertainment Software Rating Board was founded.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Goku died and as far as Kai's concerned, he never comes back.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 am

The line in episode 55 where Bulma asks if Vegeta would "spazz and kill them all" was redubbed for Nicktoons where Bulma asks if Vegeta would "hold them hostage for Goku to come back." A better line would be her asking if Vegeta would destroy Earth or West City.