Question for Members from New Zealand

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Question for Members from New Zealand

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 am

Where do you guys tend to purchase most of your merchandise?
The only physical stores (that I know of) that carry Dragon Ball merchandise are JB Hi-Fi and The Warehouse (as well as the odd comic shop here and there), although it tends to be a tad over-priced at times and The Warehouse only carries the brick sets while JB Hi-Fi doesn't stock the Kai sets on Blu-Ray. So unless I have a voucher for one of these places I usually use Trademe, Mighty Ape or Amazon- although finding international shippers on Amazon can be quite frustrating at times.

DBZnut
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Question for Members from New Zealand

Post by DBZnut » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:36 am

Being from Australia I hope I can be some kind of help here. I buy most of my action figures and such from ebay (make sure to check for bootlegs) as well as Amazon, though like you said it is hard to find international sellers on Amazon, so buy the most popular items from there.

For DVDs I just get them to order it in at my local DVD store.

It might be worth looking into a action figure or comic book store near you. There is one around where I live and I order online from them. The shipping isn't very expensive.
Oh, hi there.

[SP]
Not-So-Newbie

Post by [SP] » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

I as an Australian buy my miscellaneous merch from eBay, as well as some FUNimation releases not available here. For DVDs and Blu-Rays, I buy from JB Hifi Online, as well as Madman Entertainment if I feel the need to pay extra for a more recent item.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 pm

I live in Christchurch so it's even more bad here as we don't have a JB Hi-Fi yet which I'm angry about. The only places I know of here are The Warehouse (as you said) and Gamestation but they're ridiculously overpriced with their anime.

So places like Trademe, Mightyape, Amazon, Rightstuf etc are definitely the best places IMO.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Actually, the JB Hi-Fi where I bought my Kai sets does stock the Kai sets on Blu-Ray.

Apart from that though, I usually buy my stuff off of TradeMe at cheaper prices that I can find.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm

You really have to import if you want to find something good... and at a good price. NZ is a rip off on pretty much anything and everything.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am

LordCrumb wrote:You really have to import if you want to find something good... and at a good price. NZ is a rip off on pretty much anything and everything.
Let's just hope TPP doesn't put a stop to that, then.

I mostly buy things from JB Hi-fi, Mighty Ape, and local stores when it's something that's available in New Zealand. If it's not, I usually import from Amazon. Occasionally, if it's something that's only available in the UK, I get it from HMV.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gounks

Post by Gounks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:56 am

Well, I haven't really bought many DBZ DVDs as of yet... But the places I have from is mostly Amazon.com, Ebay.com and The Warehouse.

And like everyone else said, JB HI FI, TradeMe and Mighty Ape are the places to go to...

Here in Auckland there are a few other options too...
Real Groovy had a sale on a couple of movies, including the old single disc DVDs... But I'm not too sure if they stock them anymore. I remember they use to sell 1 of the art-books as well, but again, I doubt they stock them anymore.

As for other merch... I know of 2 places who sell the odd DBZ Figures.
First one, "The Graphic Novel Cafe" http://www.graphicnovelcafe.co.nz/index2.php
They sell the manga there too. The owners are very nice and a couple of times they've told me they'll be happy to order in some DBZ figures that I want. But I haven't yet got back to them about it >.> For the last few months there has been a Mirai/Future Trunks gashapon in their store, but I still haven't gotten' round to buying it!

And then in Queen Street, there is a small little arcade near the underground games arcade. There is a subway at the entrance and a little shop called "the Sweetest Little Chocolate Shop." One of the little stores over there has DBZ and other anime figures in their window which you can purchase. I've bought a couple there but I find them to be a tad overpriced... But hey, at least it's something!

Other than that, I'm still searching for little shops in Auckland that sells merchandise.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 am

I did recall seeing some Dragon Ball related stuff at Penny Lane but I think that was also a 2nd hand store so that probably doesn't count, but yeah it does suck that JB Hi-Fi isn't an option for me. I'm still confused on how Dunedin got one before us and the one I went to there still blew my mind. But I already have all the Dragon Boxes and several other releases so I'm not too concerned.

Just curious, is there any other NZ members on here that are in the South Island or is it all just from Auckland and North Island?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 am

Have you ever been to Vagabonds? I'm not sure they have much in the way of Dragon Ball, but I've picked up a few things there in the past. They had DVDs last time I checked, too, but I don't know how the prices are. It used to be in Sky City Metro, but I'm not sure if it's moved.
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Just curious, is there any other NZ members on here that are in the South Island or is it all just from Auckland and North Island?
North Island here, but I'm a few hours from Auckland.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Last I checked the Sky City Metro's Vagabond is still running.

There's also a Vagabond in Takapuna but they're on the small side of things. They mostly deal in Gundam kits and trading card games.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Gounks

Post by Gounks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Yes, Vegabond is still there. There is also another store next door called LiveWire, but they mostly just sell games. Only one or two times did they sell DBZ games.

For those living in Wellington, there is a small comic shop on Cuba St that sells all types of DB manga. Was kind of amazed at their huge selection. Probably the most I've ever seen in stock.

And then.. the only other thing I can think of is Armageddon... Which I guess is okay? Madman stall always have DVDs lurking around and one of the stalls... I think last year it was called "Hobby One" had a quite decent size of DBZ figures and other merch, whether it was gashapon or bigger. They also sold keychains and everything else.

Last year they sold Megahouse Capsule Neo figures. (Brand new ones in their capsules... But they also had figures in a glass case, which I'll show bellow) It was the Saiyan arc series? No idea what number.. They sold all dragon ball numbers for only $10 each! I only bought 2 which I got Raditz and Dodria in... I should've bought them all knowing how much they go for now! But definitely, Armageddon is pretty good if you can find a stall with some goodies... But they might just be up in Auckland?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:28 am

I went to the Hamilton Armageddon earlier this year, and they had a stall with a lot of those Dragon Ball figures, too. The stall probably belonged to the same people.