Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Hopefully they sort out something for the music rather than just recycling more Kikuchi.
Yes, and re-release with new music, yesplzkthx.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:At first I thought this made sense because the 2013 movie is set around the later part of the series. But it's not airing in Japan so, I don't know what's going on. Perhaps FUNimation is funding this? It seems a little out of their league though, right? Even if this was within the realm of their financial capabilities, it doesn't make sense for them to fund a show that just did OK.

Perhaps Toei is just creating this to sell overseas for some extra money? I mean, they did sell it to almost every contry that aired DBZ originally, I'm sure there's money to be made in that aspect....? ::shrugs::
Maybe Funi and AB are funding it, or the right holders in Spain? Who knows... This is kinda crazy news....

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Despite the Buu arc not being one of my favourites, I'm absolutely friggen excited!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Gonstead wrote:Despite the Buu arc not being one of my favourites, I'm absolutely friggen excited!
I like the buu arc but the freeza arc is my favorite but this is still exciting :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Gonstead wrote:Despite the Buu arc not being one of my favourites, I'm absolutely friggen excited!
Same here but I'm curious how they would handle the Great Saiyaman episodes. Those where my favorite episodes and I'm hoping they would keep most of it intact.

I will be telling my little cousins about the great news. They have been watching episodes of the Buu saga online and out of order but they don't seem to mind that at all.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Well hot diggity dog. Did not see this coming.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I'd take a guess that at most they might end up with 2 episodes of Saiyaman if they're trying to be Manga accurate but still have a little padding for episode count.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I find it funny the first episode will inevitably be episode #200, one supervised by Yamamuro Tadayoshi...the guy in charge of all the new animation. Hah.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm

WOOOO FUCK YEAH. Now they need to get a consistent soundtrack. If they want to use the kikuchi soundtrack, then use all of it, not repeat the same few songs over and over again.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm

I hope they don't cut out the Saiyaman filler too much. Only one episode between Goku "dying forever" and announcing that he's coming back? That would be awful.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:WOOOO FUCK YEAH. Now they need to get a consistent soundtrack. If they want to use the kikuchi soundtrack, then use all of it, not repeat the same few songs over and over again.
Or the synthesized Kikuchi tracks that have been used on RB1 to Ultimate Blast. They'd fit to modern music and to this Special/whatever.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:59 pm

Shut the fuck up, first I learn about Star Wars Episodes VII-IX, and now this?! Fucking awesome! 8)
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Concerning the Great Saiyaman arc, I wonder how they'll handle Chapters 424 and 425. Their anime-counterparts (the second half of 201 and the last few minutes of 204) are greatly altered so unless they completely re-animate that part, they're gonna have to do some tricky editing. Out of curiosity, how did the TV Animations Comics handle that part of the arc?

That's just one of my many questions, others being:

*New BGM or more recycled Kikuchi? If its the latter than hopefully they can at least add the soundtracks of Movies 10-13 into the mix to broaden the BGM library.

*Will Japan receive the episodes on DVD / Blu-ray? Seeing as how the Metarex Saga of Sonic X hasn't had a Japanese release, something tells me this is going to be case as well.

*WHEN'S IT GONNA AIR IN THE STATES?!?!!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm thinking that if they've already reached Goten and Trunks becoming Mighty Mask then they're at episode #214-ish. If Toei combines two episodes for one Dragon Ball Kai episode, that'd mean we're at around episode #7. Hmm...

Episode #1: episodes #200-201.
Episode #2: episodes #202-205 (borrowing whatever bits they can from #202-203).
Episode #3: episodes #206-207.
Episode #4: episodes #208-209.
Episode #5: episodes #210-211.
Episode #6: episodes #212-213.
Episode #7: episodes #214-215.

Of course, I didn't see Kusao or Mitsuya in that photo, so I wonder if not everyone was available for recording? Hmm...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Guess this makes Madman's Kai complete collection only 2/3 of the complete series. :roll:
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:22 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:Concerning the Great Saiyaman arc, I wonder how they'll handle Chapters 424 and 425. Their anime-counterparts (the second half of 201 and the last few minutes of 204) are greatly altered so unless they completely re-animate that part, they're gonna have to do some tricky editing.
Maybe this means they'll have to give Saiyaman a good few episodes :D

I really enjoyed the part of Z when it seemed like Goku was gone forever, the picture of him as an angel at the end of the closing credits made me feel sad, in a way that meant that what I was watching as doing something right. People always come back to life in DBZ, right? That he just got a little nod at the end of the credits made him really feel gone. The story felt deep and real. Despite that I was sad to see him go, "hey guys, I'm coming back!" just made me think "GOD DAMN IT, THEY HAD TO BLOODY RUIN IT!". I really hope he won't come back straight after dying, that we can get about three episodes in before he announces his return.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:32 pm

At least we will finally get a good dub of the Buu saga for once. I do like Super Buu's voice in the Funi dub and I hope they keep it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm

I was told at MCM Expo in London by MangaUK that Toei had "some more announcements to make about Dragon Ball Kai". Looks like I found out what they were!
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Ooh this is exciting! Something tells me the new movie had something to do with this.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm

I bet on a horse that won and got 90 bucks, Star Wars Episode 7 and now this. It's been a good week. I always had a small bit of hope for a Kai Buu saga, I'm glad to see it come true. As much as I can't wait to hear the Japanese cast I am FAR more excited for the Funimation dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Toei probably did this because they dont have huge international hits. One Piece and Pretty Cure tanked over here.
Well maybe if Toei had the intelligence to give Digimon to an American company that would actually treat it with respect, they'd get better numbers...
Okay. Give it to Funimation so they can give it a DVD release....And no TV Deal,Toys,Games or any REAL exposure at all.

Please understand. Saban will actually give lots of love to Digimon. More than any other company.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: