Why is Bardock's voice high pitched in Japanese?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Why is Bardock's voice high pitched in Japanese?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Yeah I would like to know why. Bardock is not naive and child-like like his son so as you can imagine I find the high pitched thing odd since he is a ruthless killing machine of a Saiyajin.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why is Bardock's voice high pitched in Japanese?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

He's played completely straight. He doesn't speak with any of the hickness that's present in Goku, and he even talks somewhat slyly (though not quite at Tullece's level) when he's snickering, which totally brings out that "ruthless" side you just mentioned.

It's a drastically different performance, so I don't feel the pitch really has any relevance.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:He's played completely straight. He doesn't speak with any of the hickness that's present in Goku, and he even talks somewhat slyly (though not quite at Tullece's level) when he's snickering, which totally brings out that "ruthless" side you just mentioned.

It's a drastically different performance, so I don't feel the pitch really has any relevance.
I see your point but the high pitched voice still reflects a child-like tone. I really like Masako's take on Goku but this just seems off.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:18 pm

I like Nozawa as much as the next guy, but why they felt the need to have her play EVERY MALE MEMBER OF THE SON FAMILY is beyond me.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote: but the high pitched voice still reflects a child-like tone.
I don't get that at all. The actual pitch of the voice is only a tiny part of the character interpretation. The performance outweighs everything else, and nothing in the performance says "child" to me.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote: but the high pitched voice still reflects a child-like tone.
I don't get that at all. The actual pitch of the voice is only a tiny part of the character interpretation. The performance outweighs everything else, and nothing in the performance says "child" to me.
How so? Its still a prepubescent voice on a grown man. You certainly have a point and I like your answer it makes me respect the role more but I certainly dont see how you miss the child voice.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 pm

I don't see why the pitch inherently infers "child". Again, nothing about the performance says "child".

Nakao's performance of Chilled? THAT screams "child".

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I don't get that at all.
I don't either... I love Nozawa's performance as Bardock. Her voice really fits the character as it does Goku, Gohan, Goten, etc.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 pm

mattymoron wrote:I like Nozawa as much as the next guy, but why they felt the need to have her play EVERY MALE MEMBER OF THE SON FAMILY is beyond me.
I totally agree, word for word. However, I can understand why some people might like her doing Bardock's voice (although I'm probably missing out a lot on it because I don't really understand Japanese that well), but I don't get why those who do can't understand why others might not feel the same way. Personally, her rendition of Bardock is totally unconvincing to me and treating me as if I have no idea what ever is going on isn't going to change that.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't see why the pitch inherently infers "child". Again, nothing about the performance says "child".

Nakao's performance of Chilled? THAT screams "child".
I dont see how you can't to be honest. The high pitched tone reflects the prepubescent voice of a child. Look at Raditz he has a perfectly normal adult tone of voice not to mention he is Bardock's son. Now compare that to Bardock,a grown man, and what do you see? The speech pattern may reflect that of a ruthless Saiyan but the tone of voice doesnt. My question is why his tone of voice is this way. Its clearly abnormal compared to the other grown men in the series. Goku and Gohan aside.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 pm

chaosakita wrote:
mattymoron wrote:I like Nozawa as much as the next guy, but why they felt the need to have her play EVERY MALE MEMBER OF THE SON FAMILY is beyond me.
I totally agree, word for word. However, I can understand why some people might like her doing Bardock's voice (although I'm probably missing out a lot on it because I don't really understand Japanese that well), but I don't get why those who do can't understand why others might not feel the same way. Personally, her rendition of Bardock is totally unconvincing to me and treating me as if I have no idea what ever is going on isn't going to change that.
Probably cause I don't understand Japanese tone differently enough yet, but her Bardock sounds too similar to Goku, especially when he yells. Same with Gohan, Goten, etc. They feel too similar.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 am

In addition to being the same pitch, both voices also share the same timbre. This, I could see as being off-putting, despite the variations in performance.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:43 am

I`m guessing this just comes back to the fact that Bardock is played by a woman... (not that I have anything against that!!)

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:39 am

songohan619 wrote:I`m guessing this just comes back to the fact that Bardock is played by a woman... (not that I have anything against that!!)
It's not that he's played by a woman, it's the fact of putting an unfitting (IMO) voice to the character.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I dont see how you can't to be honest.
I'm super confused. What am I being dishonest about? Are you inferring that I secretly know and believe that every high pitched voice must be intended for a child, but refuse to acknowledge it for... some... reason...?
TheMightyOzaru wrote:The high pitched tone reflects the prepubescent voice of a child.
I don't see how or why it MUST mean that, absolutely, 100%, in every single case. I don't want to just keep repeating the same things over and over, but I can't help it -- there's not a single thing in Bardock's voice performance that even remotely indicates he's a child.

I mean, going by your logic, I could just suggest that anyone with a super deep voice is supposed to be an extremely old man. That tosses Tenshinhan right out the window (both Hirotaka Suzuoki's and Hikaru Midorikawa's performances) -- yet I don't get a single hint of "old man" from either performance.

Sometimes a voice is just a voice. Sometimes there's no deeper meaning to it. The creators felt that a straight, collected, non-hick-ad-libbed performance from Nozawa fit what they created with Bardock, and they went with it.

If you want to even take it in-universe, look at something like Tullece's claim that there “weren’t that many types” of “expendable lower-level warriors” like themselves. Maybe if they all look the same, they all sound the same.

Look, I don't have a problem debating that maybe good grief give someone other than Nozawa a role to play every once in a while. That's fine. We'll go with that.

But -- again -- nothing in her performance of Bardock hints that the character has any "child"-like qualities.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
I'm super confused. What am I being dishonest about? Are you inferring that I secretly know and believe that every high pitched voice must be intended for a child, but refuse to acknowledge it for... some... reason...?
TheMightyOzaru wrote:The high pitched tone reflects the prepubescent voice of a child.
I don't see how or why it MUST mean that, absolutely, 100%, in every single case. I don't want to just keep repeating the same things over and over, but I can't help it -- there's not a single thing in Bardock's voice performance that even remotely indicates he's a child.

I mean, going by your logic, I could just suggest that anyone with a super deep voice is supposed to be an extremely old man. That tosses Tenshinhan right out the window (both Hirotaka Suzuoki's and Hikaru Midorikawa's performances) -- yet I don't get a single hint of "old man" from either performance.

Sometimes a voice is just a voice. Sometimes there's no deeper meaning to it. The creators felt that a straight, collected, non-hick-ad-libbed performance from Nozawa fit what they created with Bardock, and they went with it.

If you want to even take it in-universe, look at something like Tullece's claim that there “weren’t that many types” of “expendable lower-level warriors” like themselves. Maybe if they all look the same, they all sound the same.

Look, I don't have a problem debating that maybe good grief give someone other than Nozawa a role to play every once in a while. That's fine. We'll go with that.

But -- again -- nothing in her performance of Bardock hints that the character has any "child"-like qualities.
I'm saying its abnormal. Again look at Raditz and most other adult male characters. They dont have high pitched voices. Masako's Goku is supposed to reflect that of a child and it does for tone and pattern. The thing is Bardock adopts the tone of Goku which was intended to be child-like. It clearly resembles a childs tone and that is just wierd to me.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:50 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

I'm saying its abnormal. Again look at Raditz and most other adult male characters. They dont have high pitched voices. Masako's Goku is supposed to reflect that of a child and it does for tone and pattern. The thing is Bardock adopts the tone of Goku which was intended to be child-like. It clearly resembles a childs tone and that is just wierd to me.
Nonononono. Just becuase he has a high voice, does not mean he has a "childish" tone. Way off there, buddy!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Nonononono. Just becuase he has a high voice, does not mean he has a "childish" tone. Way off there, buddy![/quote]
Bardocks voice matches the tone of Goku's which is supposed to be childish. His speech patterns are the only non childish aspects to his voice.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:27 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Bardocks voice matches the tone of Goku's which is supposed to be childish. His speech patterns are the only non childish aspects to his voice.
His 'tone' doesn't match at all. 'Tone' is something like 'cheery' or 'sad'. What you mean is 'pitch', and even then Nozawa's deepens her voices for Bardock.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Yes pitch is what I'm referring to. I'm aware that it deepens but it still reflects that of a child.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946