Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm

International cartoon standards? I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't know that there is such a thing. Every country has censored different things. For that reason (among others), I'm confident they'll just do an "uncut" version and leave it up to the individual licensees what should be censored and what shouldn't.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm

They'll do it just like they've done it in the past, no difference. To them, they just continue Kai. What the publisher and other countries will do with it is none of their business, since each of the nations has their own way. 8)

The US will have a graphically edited version with polite dialogues for some channels, and an uncut version with rougher dialogues for the DVD/Blu-ray release, just like before.
France will make a single dub that suits both versions (keeping the script as is except for toning down the insults), and putting that on the uncut visuals for some channels and DVDs, and on American-censored visuals when aired on specific channels, just like before.

No need to panic, they're producing what they still call Dragon Ball Kai (Japanese version), not Dragon Ball Z Kai (international version) as far as I know.
And if they want to publish it on DVD, using the 2013 movie to promote Kai as a "here's a reminder of where's the story at for you to be prepared for the movie", they'll do it Japanese style, just like always.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I was wondering...will they keep using the Kikuchi score? Since there was a musical shift for the original Boo arc in Z anyway, this would seem like a nice opportunity to bring in someone else. (That isn't as fond of using stuff that aren't his)
kei17 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:So, I just remembered - the Japanese voice actor for Videl has said if Kai ever got to the Boo arc, she wouldn't return to voice Videl.
She said that had popped out of her mouth in her sorrow at Daisuke Gouri's funeral, and it's not her real decision. She's now studying English abroad, but she said she would be briefly back for her already-cast roles.
I was hoping that was the case. I'm glad she won't actually decline returning. It'd be kinda messed up if she went through with that decision. I get what she said, but it's not like there was any choice...
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

funrush

Post by funrush » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Kaboom wrote:Oh geez. Now I've got myself wondering if the series' continuation could provide incentive for Ultimate Butoden to get a "better-late-than-never" western release sometime next year. I think I need to rein in my shiny-eyed hopefulness a bit before I get hurt.
I would love this so much.

Maybe they're doing Japanese voices for consistency. So when the DVDs come around, the JPN track doesn't disappear after Cell.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

funrush wrote:
Kaboom wrote:Oh geez. Now I've got myself wondering if the series' continuation could provide incentive for Ultimate Butoden to get a "better-late-than-never" western release sometime next year. I think I need to rein in my shiny-eyed hopefulness a bit before I get hurt.

*Thirds this.* I want to buy an English-translation copy of Ultimate Butoden so badly. It would be amazing if they can make this happen.

5000th post. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:
funrush wrote:

*Thirds this.* I want to buy an English-translation copy of Ultimate Butoden so badly. It would be amazing if they can make this happen.

5000th post. X3
For the love of Dende, yes. Still waiting as well...
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 pm

As great as Ultimate Butouden is, there's no way in HFIL anyone is releasing a regular DS game outside of Japan in this day and age that isn't Pokémon. Which is unfortunately the same fate that befell Gyakuten Kenji 2. (AKA. Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2)
Last edited by SaiyamanMS on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Chuquita wrote:
funrush wrote:

5000th post. X3
Seems like emulators are the only option. That really sucks though.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:10 pm

I want to see a sequel to Attack of the Saiyans. :(
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

penguintruth wrote:I want to see a sequel to Attack of the Saiyans. :(
Me too. The Secret Boss was just plain ridiculous though.

Anyways do you think the soundtrack will be re-scored, better placed kikuchi, or cheap randomness. Personally I bet they will cheat us with poor placements again. They have a low budget probably.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:02 am

Not sure if everyone has seen this yet or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcXZxxe7R0E

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 am

gmster wrote:Not sure if everyone has seen this yet or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcXZxxe7R0E
It's ten year old video game opening footage tossed together, so I'd say 'yes'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:36 am

I'm hoping Mike McFarland will return to voice Pui Pui. Seriously, I'm that excited for the dub that I couldn't care less for the Japanese version in comparison. Speaking of which it will a bit weird watching the Buu saga without Daisuke Gori as Mr Satan, though we'll still have Chris Rager.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 am

ringworm128 wrote:I'm hoping Mike McFarland will return to voice Pui Pui. Seriously, I'm that excited for the dub that I couldn't care less for the Japanese version in comparison. Speaking of which it will a bit weird watching the Buu saga without Daisuke Gori as Mr Satan, though we'll still have Chris Rager.
I personally have Chris Rager as my favourite Mr. Satan. He always makes me laugh.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Seems like emulators are the only option. That really sucks though.
The DS is region free. Just import it.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Kai continuing brings a few questions for me:

1) Wasn't Yamamoto the one to make all insert songs for decades? Now that he's gone, what are the chances we get new insert songs? Will they be taken in charge by someone else or just non existent?

2) How the hell am I going to divide this saga into three seasons like I did for the two previous arcs? The Freezer and Cell sagas all had moments meant to be the end of a season and the beginning of another, clearly ending an episode with a "Mission complete" or "Mission failed" and having the last minutes announcing the new objective for the next 20 episodes. But with Majin Boo, I'm not sure it's that clear...
I guess I'll either end the season when the cocoon is about to open, clearly being "mission failed, fun says are over" and the announcement of "next season will be about surviving the feared monster"... or with Vegeta's sacrifice, which would be a beautiful season ending, it could be perceived as a "Mission complete" season ending but then it's revealed in the first episode from the next season that it was actually the final failure in the "prevent Majin Boo from being free to roam the world" and the heroes are gathering and saying "what do we do now?", making up plans for the next 20 episodes (fusion)... Hum... I wonder how the Anime Comics separated the parts, what moment they chose as the transition between one part and the next...

3) How soon can we expect it to be released? I guess we can have an idea if we think about the time that it took between the release of the idol group's single documentary on the "Krilin VS Cell" dub and the day when that scene finally aired.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:27 pm

DBK:
Saiyan - Done (Saga/arc 1)
Friеza - Done (Saga/arc 2)
Cell - Done (Saga/arc 3)
Buu - TBC (Saga/arc 4)

Well, if you count the Ginyu Forces it and Namek in general these are two more arcs, but I personally don't give much attention to these mini ones.

"seasons" are a bit misleading to what they actually mean, whether it's the Saiyan they're listing, Friеza or whatever
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Saiyan Blood was the only Kai insert song Yamamoto was involved in, hence why the others haven't been cut from later releases and airings.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:DBK:
Saiyan - Done (Saga/arc 1)
Friеza - Done (Saga/arc 2)
Cell - Done (Saga/arc 3)
Buu - TBC (Saga/arc 4)

Well, if you count the Ginyu Forces it and Namek in general these are two more arcs, but I personally don't give much attention to these mini ones.

"seasons" are a bit misleading to what they actually mean, whether it's the Saiyan they're listing, Friеza or whatever
He was talking about dividing the Buu saga into "seasons".

I'm guessing he divides them like so:

Freeza:
Saiyan
Namek
Freeza

Cell:
Androids
Cell
Cell Games

Or something along those lines. I definitely see what he's saying there.

Cold Skin, if I were to do that, I'd probably do something like this:

Tournament (Great Saiyaman to Vegeta's sacrifice)
Buu (Post-Vegeta up to Buu's split)
Fusion (Buu's split to end)

Or something.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm

ThunderPX wrote:Saiyan Blood was the only Kai insert song Yamamoto was involved in, hence why the others haven't been cut from later releases and airings.
News of the Cell Game also is his.