Theory on Saiyan's near death boosts

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Theory on Saiyan's near death boosts

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 am

This was something I was speculating today. Is it feasible that the size of the boost received from a Saiyan's ability to power up after a near death experience depend partly on the strength of the opponent delivering the beatdown? To use the near-death boosts we know of in numbers:

Vegeta goes from 18,000 to 24,000 after the battle on Earth.

Vegeta goes from 24,000 to 30,000 after the battle with Zarbon.

Vegeta goes from 30,000 to 250,000 after the battle with Recoome.

Goku goes from 90,000 to 3,000,000 after the battle with... Ginyu? Himself? Vegeta? Ginyu vs Vegeta, I suppose.

Vegeta's first and second boost are fairly modest, in the first case he received accumulated damage from varying sources of varying strengths so I'm probably not going to get anything meaningful out of that. The second boost was after fighting an enemy with a battle power of less than 30,000 and as such, his boost as rather small.

His third boost, however, was quite huge. He became nearly 10 times stronger, although we don't know how strong Recoome was. I'd place him around 40,000 minimum - 50,000 maximum. The wider difference between him and Vegeta than what existed between Zarbon and Vegeta means a disproportionately larger boost.

As for Goku, who gets the horseshittily large 33x power boost, his body was being mangled by Vegeta with a battle power of 250,000 (Admittedly, this is debatable, some say he didn't get the full boost until after his nap). The difference between 250,000 and 90,000 is already great enough, however, Ginyu was in Goku's body at the time, lowering the battle power to below 23,000. With Vegeta being over 10 times stronger, it would make sense for Goku to get such a large gain out of it.

So, uh... seems legit? Yay or nay?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

hleV
Banned

Re: Theory on Saiyan's near death boosts

Post by hleV » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 am

I think it would be most logical if the strength boost depended on how much damage the Saiyan's body has to "recover". When a Saiyan gets stronger, he can withstand more damage, but it's still more damage that needs to be recovered.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:32 am

hleV wrote:I think it would be most logical if the strength boost depended on how much damage the Saiyan's body has to "recover". When a Saiyan gets stronger, he can withstand more damage, but it's still more damage that needs to be recovered.
Well, it seems the beating Vegeta got on Earth was way worse than what Ginyu-Goku got from Vegeta.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:37 am

Saiga wrote: Well, it seems the beating Vegeta got on Earth was way worse than what Ginyu-Goku got from Vegeta.
Are you saying that Goku's body received less damage from Vegeta than Vegeta on Earth?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:38 am

hleV wrote: Are you saying that Goku received less damage than Vegeta on Earth?
Proportionally, yeah. I don't see damage received as being measured non-proportionally.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 am

Well then re-read my first post because I exactly meant the amount of damage, not how that amount compares to the receiver's power.
  • Power: 100
    Received damage: 99
    Zenkai: 99

Power: 200
    Received damage: 199
    Zenkai: 199

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 pm

I think it might depends on how closer the Saiyan in question is getting to becoming a Super Saiyan. Like a "dormant power meter" that they're gradually using up, and with each Zenkai, they gain more power to get to Super Saiyan faster.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think it might depends on how closer the Saiyan in question is getting to becoming a Super Saiyan. Like a "dormant power meter" that they're gradually using up, and with each Zenkai, they gain more power to get to Super Saiyan faster.
I agree with this. I think Vegeta said something along those lines during his pseudo-Super Saiyan power trip in the Freeza fight.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm

I think those large power boosts of Goku and Vegeta during the Namek arc have something to do with getting so many zenkais so close together. They were both getting zenkais within hours of each time they got their last one. Vegeta kept getting his ass beat, and Goku kept beating his own ass during his training.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

My theory for Goku's insanely huge power up after his battle with Ginyu is that by training in 100G's he built up A LOT of dormant power and the zenkai helped release it all. As for Vegeta it's possible that he had the power within him all along since he is meant to be a prodigy among Saiyans and it just took more then a couple of zenkai's to get it all out.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 am

Saiga wrote: Vegeta goes from 30,000 to 250,000 after the battle with Recoome.
No wonder Freezer was worried.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 am

Like the first post implies, it could simply be a matter of adaption to the threats faced as opposed to the actual amount of damage received. Vegeta didn't gain as much strength from his battle on Earth because his body only needed to adapt to being beaten by a child and a couple Earthlings over the course of an afternoon/evening while he was already worn down. On the other hand, getting quickly annihilated by Zarbon and then ReaCoom within the same week might cause the Saiyan body to adapt differently.

In Goku's case, the same could apply. In addition to that, the artificial gravity creating constant life-threatening stress could've affected the power up in the same way that he mysteriously gained plot-convenient telepathy. I'm sure that dying at one strength and returning in 11 months with the strength equivalent of training for about 3,000 years and a bit of body switching probably also affected how his body adapted to being pulverized. How? Not sure, but it just makes a weird sort of sense to me.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co