Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

We got Blue Water for GT and Westwood (I think) for DB, too. I'm not sure about the DB one, but it wasn't FUNi, and Goku first introduced himself to Bulma as "Son Goku" and the Red Ribbon Army only ever referred to him as "Monkey Boy". Basically, other than the so-called Ginyu, Freeza, Garlic Jr and Trunks sagas, we've never had FUNimation dubs of Dragon Ball stuff.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 am

I'm pretty excited for this as I am Canadian, eh. We supposedly got a few DragonBall episodes too back in the early 90s, I remember seeing what I think was Goku swimming and fighting a big fish in the water.

After watching what I thought was like 2 episodes, I never saw the show again. Until DBZ came out and made me look-up Goku lol.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:07 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Yeah, could be. I'm hoping--and betting--that it's the Ocean dub, though. For two reasons:

1) The UK was one of the countries that got the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ back when it was airing on TV.
2) Somebody feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong (I live in the U.S., so I can't say this with complete certainty)....but if I remember correctly, the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ, despite being recorded in Canada, actually aired in the UK first.
I've heard from Canadians that they got the westwood dub towards the Cell games while here in the UK we had it from the Trunks saga. There were a few episodes of the fusion saga where we mysteriously got a couple Funimation episodes but to my memory that quickly phased out (probably due to fans not liking the voice change) and it continued with ocean again. After that all reruns of the fusion saga were ocean.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I'll be more interested when I see a cast list.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Gonstead wrote:The guys at UKDB are definitely going to be excited for this news.

I know I am.
Kanzenshuu supports that site? I figured that place was an obvious rip off. :/
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:29 am

It's supposed to start airing this month, right? Then we should find out relatively soon what the UK is getting.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 am

I'll buy every single Blu Ray if it has Peter Kelamis as Gokuh.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:25 am

Rory wrote:I'll buy every single Blu Ray if it has Peter Kelamis as Gokuh.
It won't be. Kirbopher was a guest on Kanzenshuu's most recent podcast, and he said that he had some insider info (and given that he knew about Chris Ayers being cast as Freeza before any of us did, I believe him). He said that he does indeed know who the new Goku is, and that this new voice actor--not unlike Chris Ayers as Freeza--is an actor that none of us are likely to predict ahead of time, one that we will be a tad surprised by at first, and one that we will ultimately come to love. I'm excited!

However, let's not forget we've already been given a hint by voice actor Brendan Walker. According to him, the new voice for Goku is one of these people.

PS: Kirbopher also said that apparently Kirby Morrow got into A LOT of trouble for revealing what he did about the existence of the Ocean dub and his auditioning for Goku. Morrow apparently felt comfortable saying what he was saying because, as he mentioned, "I didn't sign anything that says I couldn't talk about this." I guess that didn't save him. So I can only imagine what led to Lee Tokar and Scott McNeil being so blatant about their work in Kai, especially considering that they did sign an NDA (I'm still amazed that McNeil was brave enough to specifically use the phrase, "Screw the NDA"). It also explains why Drummond was very dodgy with Attitudefan about the existence of a Kai dub, although I assumed from the start that that was why he didn't want to talk about it.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Oh, yeah... I forgot about that...
Does this mean it's going to be recorded at Blue Water Studios?? I'm scared...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Oh, yeah... I forgot about that...
Does this mean it's going to be recorded at Blue Water Studios?? I'm scared...
Well, Kirbopher said that this is gonna be a weird situation in that there will be some recording done at both Ocean Studios in Vancouver AND Blue Water Studios in Calgary. I vaguely recall that this has happened before, but not for any of the "Dragon Ball" animes.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:53 pm

I'd laugh if Zoe Sulsar ended up being Goku (again), haha. If the casting is unexpected, I'm gonna assume they went with a female voice to mirror the Japanese here. I'm probably totally wrong since this is English Dragon Ball, but, it would be interesting to see a dub go that direction.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:56 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'd laugh if Zoe Sulsar ended up being Goku (again), haha. If the casting is unexpected, I'm gonna assume they went with a female voice to mirror the Japanese here. I'm probably totally wrong since this is English Dragon Ball, but, it would be interesting to see a dub go that direction.
Mmmmm....possible, I guess, but I don't think that'll happen, for two reasons.

1. It's a new voice for Goku, and Sulsar has voiced Goku before.
2. Kirbopher described the new voice actor as, "the perfect guy for the job."

EDIT:.......I just now realized that a ton of my posts say, "for two reasons," at which point I then address them with a numerical system. *facepalm* . I'll try to cut that out! :lol:

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'd laugh if Zoe Sulsar ended up being Goku (again), haha. If the casting is unexpected, I'm gonna assume they went with a female voice to mirror the Japanese here. I'm probably totally wrong since this is English Dragon Ball, but, it would be interesting to see a dub go that direction.
Mmmmm....possible, I guess, but I don't think that'll happen, for two reasons.

EDIT:.......I just now realized that a ton of my posts say, "for two reasons," at which point I then address them with a numerical system. *facepalm* . I'll try to cut that out! :lol:
Nah, it's fine, haha. Good points, I get that the woman angle for Goku isn't popular in English, but, would be nice to see a dub do it, haha. Alright, hm, it's probably one of the younger guys from the cast list. I could see Cole Howard as Goku based on the Mega Man audio.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:30 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... 1-schedule
I wonder whether this will be the Funimation or Ocean dub they intend to release. Probably the Ocean dub what with Drummond apparently calling it the 'UK Dub'.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Mmmmm....possible, I guess, but I don't think that'll happen, for two reasons.

Well that sounds promising if he is the "perfect guy for the job". I'm kinda expecting it to be Cole Howard. Well as long as Karl Willems has done the directing then I'm sure it will be good. One thing though, did Kirbopher actually hear this new Goku's performance or just going going by his past work?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:33 pm

I know this isn't very likely, but when i heard talk about the new Goku on the podcast, I kinda thought it could be MasakoX :D
Probably not, but still, that would be kinda cool!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 pm

It would be interesting to see Cole Howard play Goku but as I have said before, I reckon he would make a great Trunks.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:02 am

Going from that video, I'm going to guess it's either Ryan Stockert or Cole Howard. But, I guess we'll see.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 am

It's not Cole Howard or MasakoX (sorry guys, hehe), or anyone who's voiced the character in any other version of the show. No I haven't heard the person in question's performance, but the person who told me said they're "the perfect man for the job".

Where did Brendan imply this thing about their Goku being someone from the cast of MegaMan Powered Up? And where did Brian Drummond say he was coming back for Vegeta?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 am

Kirbopher wrote:And where did Brian Drummond say he was coming back for Vegeta?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=21560

He didn't exactly say he was coming back IIRC but the topic is there for you to read.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:25 am

Sure is a lot of secrecy surrounding the voice over work for a cartoon, especially a dub that's years in the making. They're not exactly working on the cancer cure here. The CIA can't keep secrets this well.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?