DBZ Budokai HD Collection: Official On-Going Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Budokai HD Collection: Official On-Going Thread

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:07 am

VegettoEX wrote:Let me confirm again, then, that the US release of "HD Collection" still has "Rock the Dragon" over the "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" animation in the first game, and has the replacement song from the initial trailer for the third game -- no Kageyama anywhere.
Thanks. That even confirms that most of the Kageyama songs from the late '90s onward will never be officially released again. We have our own copies anyway.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 pm

So can you put custom BGM into this game on PS3? I've never done it before but after hearing the Namek Theme from Budokai 1 I really want to put it into the game somehow. I just don't know how it works.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:55 pm

There are very few games in existence for any platform that truly support a "custom soundtrack" the way you might expect it to work just reading the phrase.

What ACTUALY happens is that you go to a menu, start playing some music, and the system just drops out the music track from the game. The songs just keep playing. They don't end when the fight ends. There are no transitions. It's as if you just silenced the game and started playing a CD elsewhere, except that you can still hear the voices and sound effects (which will likely be overpowered by the louder CD/MP3/AAC music, anyway).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Saiga wrote:So can you put custom BGM into this game on PS3? I've never done it before but after hearing the Namek Theme from Budokai 1 I really want to put it into the game somehow. I just don't know how it works.
You can play your custom music, but it won't let you make a track by track replacement, it'll play your tracks one after the other or randomly, but constantly - no matter if it's the end of a cutscene and the beginning of a fight, or if it's right in the middle of a fight.
Which is enough as it is, and even quite funny given that you'll be eager to see if the next track will be the perfect match for the current scene/situation. And very often, it can be considered a decent match, since most situation can have a confident/scary/sad/tense feel underneath what's going on.

1. Put all the tracks you want in one same folder - and with a same album name - on a USB Drive.
2. Transfer this folder to your PS3 music section thanks to your USB drive.
3. Make sure you ask your PS3 to display your folder on its own (just make it sort your music by albums and it will do).
4. When playing your game, enter the XMB menu at any time (Home button on your controller) and select one of the tracks in your folder. It'll stop the in-game music and replace it with that soundtrack. The other tracks will follow - in order or randomly depending on your choice.

At any time, by selecting the track currently playing, you can raise or lower the volume of the overall PS3 music so that it doesn't overpower the voices and sounds, easily reaching a perfect balance that will give you the perfect illusion that the music comes from the game.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Close enough! I wasn't expecting to actually replace the tracks like VegettoEX suggested (though that would be AWESOME), just have my own music playing without the game's going at the same time.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah the games' score is usually muted when you start playing your own audio files from the XMB menu.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 am

If Namco Bandai is planning next an HD Collection of the Tenkaichi series, I hope it's BT2 and BT3. Imo, BT1 was the worst of all the Tenkaichi games.

Awful camera, sound effects, tedious gameplay and it seemed to me like it was a public retail beta to see how well the game would do.

Anyway, I hope it's something completely new and not another HD Collection.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:There are very few games in existence for any platform that truly support a "custom soundtrack" the way you might expect it to work just reading the phrase.

What ACTUALY happens is that you go to a menu, start playing some music, and the system just drops out the music track from the game. The songs just keep playing. They don't end when the fight ends. There are no transitions. It's as if you just silenced the game and started playing a CD elsewhere, except that you can still hear the voices and sound effects (which will likely be overpowered by the louder CD/MP3/AAC music, anyway).
Can you not adjust the music volume in relation to the game audio on the PS3? You can on the 360, there's a slider on the music tab of the guide button dashboard. But yeah, it's a poor substitute for actual custom soundtrack support. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the only game I can think of that actually lets you set what music plays where, rather than just playing a playlist over the game audio.
­

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 am

Taku128 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:There are very few games in existence for any platform that truly support a "custom soundtrack" the way you might expect it to work just reading the phrase.

Can you not adjust the music volume in relation to the game audio on the PS3? You can on the 360, there's a slider on the music tab of the guide button dashboard. But yeah, it's a poor substitute for actual custom soundtrack support. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the only game I can think of that actually lets you set what music plays where, rather than just playing a playlist over the game audio.
The FIFA games let you do this aswell.

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 am

You can do this in the WWE games. But only for entrance music though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 am

Taku128 wrote:Can you not adjust the music volume in relation to the game audio on the PS3? You can on the 360, there's a slider on the music tab of the guide button dashboard. But yeah, it's a poor substitute for actual custom soundtrack support. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the only game I can think of that actually lets you set what music plays where, rather than just playing a playlist over the game audio.
Sadly, no, it isn't possible like such on PlayStation 3.

Hopefully Sony learnt their lesson from PlayStation 3's mistakes they committed and won't happen on PlayStation Orbis.

Btw, it seems Microsoft owns the patent of custom soundtrack feature on consoles so maybe that's why. This and, installing the data of games on the HDD. Both extremely precious features to improve the performance of gaming on a console.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Can you not adjust the music volume in relation to the game audio on the PS3? You can on the 360, there's a slider on the music tab of the guide button dashboard.
Sadly, no, it isn't possible like such on PlayStation 3.
Wait, what? Do I get it wrong or are you guys talking about "can you adjust the volume of your custom music so that it isn't too low or too loud compared to the sounds and voices"?

Cause if so, I just said in my previous post that you can easily adjust the volume, of course you can, of course they thought about it! :)

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:59 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Btw, it seems Microsoft owns the patent of custom soundtrack feature on consoles so maybe that's why. This and, installing the data of games on the HDD. Both extremely precious features to improve the performance of gaming on a console.
Microsoft may own the patent on custom soundtracks on consoles, but individual PS3 games can still implement it, if they want. Anyway, companies break patents all the time. Google, Apple and Samsung spend as much time co-operating on mobile phones as they do suing each other. It keeps lawyers in business.

(I've never seen any reference about installing games to HDD being a Microsoft patent. Lots of PS3 games offer that feature as well.)

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

kei17 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Let me confirm again, then, that the US release of "HD Collection" still has "Rock the Dragon" over the "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" animation in the first game, and has the replacement song from the initial trailer for the third game -- no Kageyama anywhere.
Thanks. That even confirms that most of the Kageyama songs from the late '90s onward will never be officially released again. We have our own copies anyway.
Man that's depressing.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Was The Biggest Fight composed by Yamamoto?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Was The Biggest Fight composed by Yamamoto?
I'm 99% sure it was, considering practically everything else from Final Bout was.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 am

Rory wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Was The Biggest Fight composed by Yamamoto?
I'm 99% sure it was, considering practically everything else from Final Bout was.
Ah man, and that's one of my favorite Dragon Ball songs! :(
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 am

So, after finishing the european version of Budokai 1 in the HD Collection, I found out for the first time that the european version has Mr.Satan. Seeing it left as is, and all the Satan references in his attacks, along with "The Legend of Mr.Satan" almost made up for "Tien", "aunt sallies" and "meanies".
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:00 am

Ugh... Finally found where those tracks I had never heard came from!
That was not an easy task!

Luckily, we had the list of games from which it was from, thanks to dbboxkaifan!

Too bad some tracks were limited to a one-time occurence in this collection, and as a short version only.
However, they are in high quality compared to the original files included on PS2 for example (for BT2 soundtracks for example).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Ugh... Finally found where those tracks I had never heard came from!
That was not an easy task!

Luckily, we had the list of games from which it was from, thanks to dbboxkaifan!

Too bad some tracks were limited to a one-time occurence in this collection, and as a short version only.
However, they are in high quality compared to the original files included on PS2 for example (for BT2 soundtracks for example).
So you found Budokai 3 Instrumental Opening? Where was it hidden?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray