A Next Gen cast

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

A Next Gen cast

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm

I've seen this idea be tossed around here and there, but what is the general opinion on this forum about the thought of a series taking place years later (ala DBO) and featuring a whole new cast (with a few oldies thrown in)?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: A Next Gen cast

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 pm

It could work if it's done right. Most people feel like a show with a new cast never works since people hated GX for having characters that are nowhere as good as the main characters from Duel Monsters. If they get a good writer on the show then it's possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Depends on how far into the future it would be. I'd like Pan and Oob to still be around and have important roles, since they only appeared in the tail-end of Z.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Yeah, I'd like it if it were an actual DBO adaptation. But in terms of a fully new series with a new cast I'm not so sure. If it keeps up the old spirit then I guess I'd be fine with it, but I'm not even sure how you'd even go about a new cast unless one of the characters has at least some vague connection to Goku and the others.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, the idea I had in mind was the protagonist was a descendant of the Son family, so there would be a connection.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Not interested; I can barely bring myself to pay attention to Heroes and DBO (outside of DBO's intriguing back-story plot that doesn't actually show up in-game). "Next Gen" is one of my most disliked marketing choices because a lot of the time, when I get into a series, I get into it because of the characters, and "next gen" just gives me that awful "forced-replacement" vibe. Not to say it couldn't be done well, with the right people behind it I'm sure it could be successful, I just wouldn't watch it or care about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Well, the idea I had in mind was the protagonist was a descendant of the Son family, so there would be a connection.
Well, I do have a soft spot for Goku Jr.... (Especially in GT's special)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:27 pm

The original voice actors/actresses of the characters are getting older and older, so Toei Animation and all involved, please be kind and phase those characters out too when the time's up. Replace them with their sons/daughters, please.

Hearing Goku in Japanese with someone else than Masako would be depressing. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh, the characters are going to be re-cast. Toei Animation doesn't care. Can't use the established actors anymore? Hire the new kids doing the major cartoons these days, with a few veterans sprinkled in. Paku Romi for Gokuu/Gohan/Goten/Tullece/Bardock/Gokuu Junior!

As for actual new characters, sure. So long as it's done well I have no complaints.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Well, Tohru Furuya took an immortality potion (or obtained immortality via being a Newtype), so there's no reason to recast Yamucha.

Masako Nozawa's voice needs to be uploaded into a computer to perserve its use for future generation.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:34 am

I've often wondered who's gonna take over for Masako Nozawa. Her inevitable death is of course not something to look forward to, but it is a very sad and unfortunate inevitability. If I had to put money down on a bet, my guess is that they'll have Mayumi Tanaka take over when that unfortunate day comes.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I've often wondered who's gonna take over for Masako Nozawa. Her inevitable death is of course not something to look forward to, but it is a very sad and unfortunate inevitability. If I had to put money down on a bet, my guess is that they'll have Mayumi Tanaka take over when that unfortunate day comes.
I doubt they'd have Tanaka take over. She's got Luffy, not to mention Kuririn and Yajirobe. I've always thought Paku Romi would be able to handle all of Nozawa's roles, though.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I've often wondered who's gonna take over for Masako Nozawa. Her inevitable death is of course not something to look forward to, but it is a very sad and unfortunate inevitability.
Yes, possibly... but let's not forget that Japanese people tend to live longer than people in most other countries. Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBuPdlOSon8#t=4m55s

That's a fairly recent interview with her. I don't know about you guys, but it looks to me like she's in really good shape... definitely not the look of someone at death's door. But that's just my opinion.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:03 pm

I really don't think a new cast would do Dragon Ball any good, half the charm is the endearing characters, without them it'd just be a bunch of strong guys blasting each other.
I think even if they managed to introduce fantastic new characters that held the Toriyama spirit, not seeing the characters we've fell in love with would just piss us off. :lol:

Though it might work if Goku was still around somehow, I know a lot of people disagree with Goku not staying dead and wished he would let the rest of the crew shine for once, but I seriously don't think Dragon Ball without Goku as the main protagonist would work as well as it could with him.
Maybe it could be based on his adventures after he rode off on Shenron at the end of GT?

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Super Gazellian wrote:Though it might work if Goku was still around somehow, I know a lot of people disagree with Goku not staying dead and wished he would let the rest of the crew shine for once, but I seriously don't think Dragon Ball without Goku as the main protagonist would work as well as it could with him.
Maybe it could be based on his adventures after he rode off on Shenron at the end of GT?
I don't know, I thought the Great Saiyaman/Buu Arc was amazing until Goku was bizarrely forced back into the story as the main focus.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Super Gazellian wrote:I really don't think a new cast would do Dragon Ball any good, half the charm is the endearing characters, without them it'd just be a bunch of strong guys blasting each other.
I think even if they managed to introduce fantastic new characters that held the Toriyama spirit, not seeing the characters we've fell in love with would just piss us off. :lol:

Though it might work if Goku was still around somehow, I know a lot of people disagree with Goku not staying dead and wished he would let the rest of the crew shine for once, but I seriously don't think Dragon Ball without Goku as the main protagonist would work as well as it could with him.
I'm pretty sure it would work. And it's the only way it would work.
All new characters who you can fall in love with all over again. It just would need some time getting used to. I never understand why people are so afraid of change.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

sbk wrote:
Super Gazellian wrote:Though it might work if Goku was still around somehow, I know a lot of people disagree with Goku not staying dead and wished he would let the rest of the crew shine for once, but I seriously don't think Dragon Ball without Goku as the main protagonist would work as well as it could with him.
I don't know, I thought the Great Saiyaman/Buu Arc was amazing until Goku was bizarrely forced back into the story as the main focus.
I felt exactly the same about the Boo arc. That's why I'm interested in a Next Gen. cast, since then Gokuu wouldn't have a chance of stealing the protagonist role because he'd be, well, surpassed and dead. Then again, that was the case in the Boo arc....

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm

I do agree about the characters often being what makes people watch the show.

On the other hand...

Lots of people would agree that one of the main things Star Trek had going for it was the chemistry between the three leads. People loves Kirk, Spock and McCoy, so it would be madness creating a new series set 80 years in the future with a completely different cast and a captain who doesn't even do random drop kicks when he gets into a fight.

Madness!

Won't be successful.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 pm

I would trust Toriyama to make an interesting story out of it; problem is he never will, ever. Toei is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 am

Actually is there any impression of Son on the internet? I mean, I seen a Cell impression which is okay.

I ask this, is because, do Japanese impersonate people as much as people do in English? Stupid question which I probably know the answer to. :lol:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada